[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of jazz is just muscle memory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3483.png (581KB, 1300x1258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3483.png
581KB, 1300x1258px
How much of jazz is just muscle memory?
>>
>>70447380
do ya like jazz?
>>
>>70447380
As much as learning and speaking a language is muscle memory.
>>
>>70447380
herbie hancock
>>
>>70447380
is that bill cosby?
>>
>>70447419
I laughed out loud at this.
>>
>>70447380
all of it
>>
>>70447380
none of it
>>
>>70447380
some of it
>>
>>70447380
>>
>>70447409
Okay but that's true of this, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIloWKYvv1M
>>
>>70447682
When you're learning to improvise, in the beginning you might just be repeating licks you learned but eventually when your musical vocabulary becomes much larger your creative mind takes over and you start to think in terms of melody in the moment rather than consciously recalling licks.

That's what separates good improvisers form bad ones anyways, lots of guys do just play rehearsed licks.
>>
>>70447380
Even if you memorize licks, deciding when to put them and how is still a creative choice.
All of the greats had a great vocabulary of licks and stuff they liked to put elsewhere, Charlie Parker at its core was kinda repetitive and people even had a name for the notorious runs Coltrane used to do since Giant Steps onwards, but that's just the basics, the creative part comes when you're structuring the solo and putting them together, breaking them to create new licks in situ, etc...
A big vocabulary of licks transposed to all tones is fundamental for a jazz music, but that's just like learning words, doesn't mean you know how to speak, they're just ingredients that you'll mince, deform and play with to suit whatever you're performing at the moment.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.