[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Alice In Chains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 14

File: 51QrtHS9goL.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51QrtHS9goL.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
What does /mu/ think of Alice In Chains?
>>
>>70446893
junkhead is a great song

apart from that i dont really remember
>>
They've really aged horribly
>>
>>70446893
That album is perfect
>>
>>70446893
AAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>70447189
not really

junkhead is their only good song

everything else is inferior to pearl jam
>>
File: 1484506769411.jpg (33KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
1484506769411.jpg
33KB, 704x396px
>>70447231
>everything else is inferior to pearl jam
>>
I'm not a huge fan but I don't really dislike them. My favorite Alice in Chains association is Tommy Dreamer walking out to Man In The Box in ECW. They are my 55 year old employer's favorite band though.
>>
Dem Bones has a really Metallica-sounding riff.
>>
They've never made a bad album, even the new stuff with the black guy is good
>>
Dirt is the best 90s tribute to Black Sabbath's Paranoid album.
>>
>>70447256
true story
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (39KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
39KB, 300x225px
Dirt [Columbia, 1992]

Crunch, crunch, crunch. Riff, riff, riff. Far harder, louder, and more metallic than Soundgarden will ever be. The price of all this power is that it's also stupider, the sound of hopeless craving. This is a junkie album, take it or leave it--"Junkhead" isn't ironic and probably isn't fictional either. As I sit here looking at my books and degrees (well, degree), I somehow doubt that if I, err, "opened" my mind as resident sickman Layne Staley suggests, that I'd be doing as "well" as him, err, the narrator of the song. I'll wait for my own man, thank you very much. B-

Jar of Flies [Columbia, 1994] :(
>>
overrated and overplayed
>>
>>70446893
sounds like creed
>>
>>70446893
second best band of the 90s and possibly the best american band ever

>>70447069
objectively wrong

>>70447231
>junkhead is their only good song
>everything else is inferior to pearl jam

this is b8. there is no way someone can actually be this retarded

>>70447287
Kyuss sounds way more like Sabbath than AiC
>>
never made a bad album
>>
Great album, could have been 15 minutes shorter
>>
>>70447287
They actually opened for Ozzy during the 92 tour.
>>
>>70447317
it's so easy to tell when you're posting
>>
>>70447344
>I have a stalker

nice
>>
>>70447317
>possibly the best american band ever
lol theyre a shit band

junkhead was at least listenable

gtfo shill
>>
some good songs but not really my favorite out of the seattle grunge scene

stanley had a god tier voice though.

my dad used to play this in the car constantly when i was a kid (i don't fuckin know why)
>>
>>70447344
Who
>>
>>70447364
no you just have juvenile taste and shitpost a lot
>>
File: Kurt Cobain.jpg (16KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt Cobain.jpg
16KB, 214x317px
"We turned down Guns'N'Roses. That would have been a big waste of time. As expected, the alternative movement is attracting bandwagoners. I don't know about Soundgarden, we've hung out with them before and they seem like great guys, but then there's other bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains that are obvious corporate puppets. Many of these guys were involved in the hairspray/cockrock scene for years, and now decide to stop washing their hair, don flannel, and fly up to Seattle from Los Angeles to get a record deal and act as if they've lived here their entire lives. It's very insulting to me."
>>
>>70447069
Absolutely not
>>
>>70447369
>calls alice in chains shit
>thinks boring pearl jam is better
topcake

>>70447399
>complains about someone else's taste
>is actually a stalker on an anonymous image board

wew
>>
>>70447327
Ah, '92. The Summer of Grunge.
>>
>>70447407
>but then there's other bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains that are obvious corporate puppets
When did he say this? Not disagreeing with him here but it's kind of funny considering what happened to nirvana.
>>
They're a great band, certainly among the best to come from that scene.
>>
they're tool, but good
>>
>>70447492
Both bands used to be hair metal groups.
>>
>>70447369
>gtfo shill
Why the fuck would anybody shill a band that already has a solidified reputation? Jesus, he just has a hard on for them, not shilling them.
>>
>>70447262
wtf not at all
>>
what's up with /mu/'s hateboner for pearl jam
>>
>>70447407
He never actually said this, right?
I mean, I know he was self absorbed, but there is no way he was that openly self absorbed
>>
>>70447407
>cockrock
>>
>>70447633
It's kind of a thing to dislike Pearl Jam the most out of the big grunge bands. Goes beyond /mu/.
>>
>>70446893
I love Dirt, it's one of my favorite early 90's alternative albums.
>>
>>70447677
http://www.nirvanaclub.com/info/articles/05.00.92-flipside.html

Here's the entire interview.
>>
>>70447633
They never bothered to listen past Ten I guess. Shame too cause their best stuff came way later. That and they were corporate puppets maaaaan and not REAL rawk like Nirvana.
>>
>>70447692
strange, I like the big four almost equally but if pressed I'd have to say I like soundgarden the least

dunno why tho
>>
1. Alice in Chains
2. Soundgarden
3. Nirvana
4. Pearl Jam
>>
>>70447526
>all bands with 80's hairstyles are hair metal
"no"
The earliest tracings of pearl jam were green river, which was more punk than Nirvana ever was. Mother Love Bone, definitely had 70's glam influences, but were nothing like hair metal. 70's glam was a pre-curser to punk anyhow.
AIC in it earliest state also had some 70's glam, which was mixed with speed metal
Layne was in bands before that that could be called Hair metal, but it was dropped far before grunge/alternative ever became a commercial success, so calling them corporate puppets but Nirvana isn't is a bit rich considering they were both part of the grunge movement before Nirvana was.
>>
>>70447823
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
>>
it's funny how all the 50s guys like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc are still alive but all the 90s rock guys are dead.
>>
>>70447713
>Kurt: Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, hopefully the Pixies or the Breeders, Shonen Knife, probably Jesus Lizard if they’re available or the Melvins and this band called Bjorn Again - they’re amazing. We want to have it at around the same time as Lollapalooza to show that there is an alternative to false alternative macho metal.
>Cake: Like Chili Peppers...
>Kurt: Yeah

Kurt and the Chili's were friends and he just dogged them here. Is this actually real?
>>
>>70447995
Why is everyone getting so progressively more depressed as time gets on? Drug addiction obviously doesn't help mortality either though.
>>
>>70447995
I wouldn't necessarily call Chuck Berry "alive".
>>
>>70448099
Globalism and multiculturalism
>>
>>70447995
and somehow Keith Richards is still alive
>>
File: fleakurtcobain.jpg (80KB, 900x504px) Image search: [Google]
fleakurtcobain.jpg
80KB, 900x504px
>>70448017
I mean, like what?
>>
>>70447995
What other big names from that particular scene died around that time aside from Cobain and Staley? Wood doesn't count.
>>
>>70448302
Scott Weiland and Jeff Buckley.
>>
>>70448302
Dimebag Darrell
>>
>>70448350
>from that particular scene
>around that time
>>
>>70448350
They weren't from that scene
>>70448302
Wood does count.
The bassist from Hole
>>
>>70448422
>Wood does count.
Fair enough I'm getting into semantics but he wasn't a star of any sort regardless of whether or not everyone was convinced he would be.
>>
>>70448104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxixIbONuCQ
>>
>>70448350

scott weiland died like a year ago dude
>>
>>70448251
He probably liked Flea and John, but not Anthony.
>>
>>70448481
Jesus Christ, case in point. Let the poor man rest.
>>
>>70448481
I can see Chuck is now perfecting free-form jazz.
>>
>>70446893
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HERE COME'S THE ROOSTER
>>
>>70448481
He's about as good as you can expect from a nearly blind, nearly deaf man with severe arthritis in his hands.
>>
heres a fun game, listen to any alice in chains album before their self-titled one and take a drink every time layne says yeah
>>
>>70449027
Here's a fun game. Listen to any RHCP album ever and take a swig every time Anthony says "California".
>>
>>70449027
junkman alone might kill me

sounds fun
>>
File: 223456754321.jpg (6KB, 108x150px) Image search: [Google]
223456754321.jpg
6KB, 108x150px
>>70446893
I Do It
aALOOOAAAAAAAAUHHHHTTTTT
>>
>>70447995
Huh? Tons of 50s guys died young like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley (ok he was 55, not that young), Bobby Darrin, and that jerk who said if he wanted to peddle memories, he'd be a truck driver.
>>
>>70446893
Pic related is one of the best albums of all time
>>
BTW, Kurt did compliment Layne Staley's vocal abilities and said "He's a far better singer than I am."
>>
>>70448124
Spotted the shop class kid

Back to >>>/pol/ you go, you kissless virgin
>>
>>70449696
I though AIC was listed as one of his fav bands in his journal?
I never actually read that garbage.
>>
>>70449726
>gets this booty bothered
>>
Kurt plagiarized material left and right, most notably Leadbelly and David Bowie. He also swapped lyrics with other bands all the time. But then everyone does.
>>
>>70447268
he sounds fucking identical to Layne, it's uncanny.
>>
Cobain was very good for his particular kind of music, but like most of the 27 Club, I doubt he could have kept it up very long. Singing like he did on Unplugged would have massively fucked his voice in the long run. Those who burn the candle the hottest burn out the quickest.
>>
BTW, Pearl Jam's decision to go underground and snub MTV was inspired in large part by Kurt's accusations that they were phony corporate rock. They wanted to prove that they weren't that.
>>
Facelift predates Nevermind by over a year and Soundgarden had been a thing since 1989.
>>
>>70449796
He doesn't though, but he's pretty good fit.
>>
>>70449952
Soundgarden had been a thing since 1984
>>
>>70448454
>he wasn't a star of any sort
He was locally. In its early days, the grunge scene was pretty insular, and the bands in it mostly paid attention to other local bands. Wood was the closest thing to a rock star in the scene, and he was a very popular figure locally. He was also friends with pretty much everyone in the local scene. His death was a very big deal in Seattle. If you read or listen to anyone from the scene's comments about it, they all say it was devastating, and it had a huge affect on how everyone thought about the music scene. People basically talk about it the same way they do Kurt's death.
>>
>>70449965
I should have said he's capable of it, my bad

it's not consistent but listen to All Secrets Known and tell me that doesn't sound like layne
>>
Honestly, Cobain should get a pass for some of his shittalking. He was an ambitious, edgy young guy who wanted to prove that his band was the best one in the alternative scene. I mean, James Hetfield says he was too hard on Motley Crue back in the day and they wouldn't have had a career without the glam metal scene existing.
>>
>>70449882
>you call a band 'corporate rock'
>in retaliation, they stop making videos, stop associating with MTV, stop doing interviews with big magazines, and sue ticketmaster
>you don't
Kurt btfo
>>
>>70450027
All Secrets Known was Jerry
>>
>>70450087
huh, the more you know

pardon my ignorance
>>
>>70450066
They started going underground with Vitalogy which happened after Kurt's death.
>>
>>70449882
I don't think that's the case. When Ten came out and went huge, the band had been together for about a year, and it's pretty obvious they were all really uncomfortable with the fame, especially Vedder, who made a lot of statements about being new to the scene and feeling like he hadn't earned it. That's a big part of why their second album was produced to be a lot more raw and angry sounding, and their third album has a lot of deliberately weird, alienating shit on it. They were trying to sound different to alienate the fanbase.

And besides, no one else besides Kurt would have regarded them as phony corporate rock. Everyone else in the Seattle scene knew that Stone and Jeff were there from the start. If anything, Kurt had to compensate because Nirvana wasn't as much a part of the Seattle scene as everyone likes to think; because Kurt refused to get a job, the band didn't live in Seattle until pretty late, and they were seen as kind of outsiders. Plus, Kurt was always resentful that Vedder was portrayed as a better lyricist by the media.
>>
I agree with everything that you've said. Cobain's ability has been exaggerated beyond all belief since his death, and perhaps, because of his death.

As you say, he was good, but he wasn't that good, and certainly not as good as all the 12 year old goths wearing Nirvana T-Shirts would have you believe.

These comments are of course just my opinion, and not intended to be offered in any way as fact.
>>
>>70449998
I get all that, but I'm talking about big, real big names, and he really wasn't that. He was seen as the next big thing by his peers who were future stars but he never got to it is all. His story was immortalized by that Temple of the Dog record. I'm not even mitigating the guy's talent or local popularity but the guys he ran with went on the be real stars, and Andrew Wood died as a guy who might have been.

Semi unrelated but I tend to think that had he lived he might not have even become as famous as some of the others anyway, cause he was kind of obsessed with a fad that was right on its way out the door when he died.
>>
>>70449769
> instantly greentexts his interpretations of my behavior as a response, like so

Jesus christ it is so easy to spot you people
>>
>>70450177
The media liked PJ better because muh social commentary and because they toured with classic rock icons like Neil Young.
>>
>>70450151
They started with Vs. though.
Jeremy was their last music video until Do the Evolution
>>
>>70450188
>since his death
LOLno. Kurt had his dick sucked hard by 1992, everyone was calling him the knight who rode in on the white horse and slew the evil entity known as hair metal.
>>
Man In The Box was a hit a year before Smells Like More Than A Feeling.
>>
>>70450220
>he keeps replying in an aggressive manner, confirming his sore bottom over something trivial.
>>
>>70450309
But is wasn't a billboard top 10 hit like Smells Like A Big Big Love, so the mainstream doesn't consider it as being something that exists.
>>
>>70450309
Huh? The album was released in the summer of 1990, but they didn't release MITB as a single until early 91.
>>
>>70446893
They are great, everything Layne Staley did is just pure perfection. The name came back recently, but william duval just isnt that good, jerry really fucked up by not changing the name of the band, it actually feels like an insult.

Every album is just great, you cant just rank them from best to worst if im honest with you
>>
>>70450276
i thought guns n roses did that
>>
Kurt knew Soundgarden pretty well and even saw them in concert in the 80s, long before they got nationally famous.

The grunge flannel/ripped jeans wardrobe was simply what working class people in the PNW wore, but later it became a fashion statement. Also Alice In Chains never wore flannel, they actually had pretty flashy stage outfits.
>>
>>70450467
They did, but the alternafags don't get it.
>>
>>70450401
9 months, a year, whatever
>>
Kurt like everyone else was out to make a buck and promote himself, all the Seattle bands wanted money and record sales. He went to his accountants to increase his share % of the band's profits the year of his death. He is correct that Alice did start out as a glam band at first. I don't think Cobain's ability was exaggerated, Lennon was also a terrible guitar player but a great songwriter. Cobain knew how to mask pop songs with a punk overtone that's very hard to do.
>>
reminder that if Andrew Wood didn't die, the "grunge" scene would have been a lot more different, like KISS different
>>
>>70450225
I agree, Pearl Jam's social commentary songs are more listenable as an adult than Kurt's edgy teen wankery.
>>
>>70450544
>Cobain knew how to mask pop songs with a punk overtone that's very hard to do.
Punk was always just pop songs played with sloppy aggression
>>
>>70450058
I never faulted the guy for sharing his opinions of bands he didn't like, it's just that he rarely had any valid criticisms of said band, he just disparaged certain groups who had an image he didn't approve of. Which is fine too, but I think that's why his comments get picked apart a lot.
>>
>>70450058
I agree. If Kurt were alive today, he'd probably be more conciliatory to most of his peers just as James Hetfield has gotten over his beefs with Megadeth and Motley Crue.
>>
>>70450327
Leave your pathetic whining about "multiculturalism is bad for our white babies" and "oy vey, the goyim know" back in /pol/ where it fucking belongs. It's not like any of you lower middle class skilled trade kids possess half the intellect required to properly discuss music anyhow.
>>
>>70450619
Uh huh. Mike Patton has also forgiven RHCP and says now he has no idea what they were fighting over back in 1999.
>>
>>70450577
wut. THe grunce scene as we know it was already happening while he was alive
I don't get why everyone thinks putting an effort into the way you look and having showmanship is the antithesis of alternative, or punk rock or whatever.
Reed? Iggy? T Rex? NY Dolls? Sex Pistols?
>>
>>70450640
I know, I know. Possessing a degree in transgender studies makes you the resident genius.
>>
>>70450640
Wow, it's full blown hemorrhoids now.
>>
>>70450488
IIRC he thought AIC and Pearl Jam weren't really alternative because they had too many guitar leads, whereas Soundgarden were mostly driven by the rhythm section with the guitars pushed to the back of the mix.
>>
>>70450679
But RHCP hasn't forgiven anyone, and Kurt was friends with them so it would be easier to assume he would be more like them than anyone else.
>>
>>70450774
>>
>>70450544
>Lennon was also a terrible guitar player but a great songwriter
As was Springsteen.
>>
>>70447327
That's how Mike Inez hooked up with them isn't it?
>>
>>70447438
>Calling someone a stalker in the manner you're using it

Actually embarrassing mods please ban him and set an example for all these underage users
>>
File: KurtCobainDress.jpg (499KB, 972x1599px) Image search: [Google]
KurtCobainDress.jpg
499KB, 972x1599px
>>70450188
Anybody that dies the way he did after making a landmark album is going to be mythologized. Still, I think he had the potential to make more great albums had he lived. Some demo songs he never recorded in studio (Do Re Mi) are really good. Also would have been interesting if he would make a blues record inspired by Leadbelly.
>>
>>70450309
Supposedly Jani Lane went into the Columbia offices one day to discuss the new Warrant album and he saw a huge AIC poster on the wall and was all like "Uh oh..."
>>
>>70450058
This. It was mostly self-promotion, and probably not real opinion. It's also worth noting that humor and sarcasm were huge among people in the grunge scene. People tend tend to forget about that, because now grunge is mostly associated with heroin and depression, but humor was actually a big part of the scene. Most of the grunge guys had wicked senses of humor and a lot of the stuff they did in the public eye was intended to be funny. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that shittalking was just sarcastic banter that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I mean, Cobain talked a lot of shit about Vedder, but the two were still friends.
>>
>>70451134
who are those people next to and behind courtney love
>>
>>70451172
Except Eddie Vedder; he thinks his own fecal matter doesn't possess an odor.
>>
>>70451134
>DUDE WE'RE DRESSED LIKE GIRLS LMAO THIS IS SO FUNNY WE SHOULD DO THIS EVERYDAY
>>
Wasn't any different than Johnny Rotten insulting the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd when they were actually his heroes.
>>
>>70451172
I actually feel bad for Vedder. I think the whole situation with Cobain and his death still effects him to this day.

Excuse the Kimmel footage, but it does put it into perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7oNG_5oDOY
>>
>>70451213
Not particularly. His stage banter is usually hilarious, and a lot of interviews from the early 90s also show him being pretty funny. Plus, he's one of the funniest background characters in Singles.

The media tried to present him as a quiet, tortured artist, and it wasn't that hard once he started turning down a lot of interviews, but the guy definitely has a sense of humor. In fact, I've probably seen him being more funny in interviews than Kurt now that I think of it.
>>
File: LayneStaleyLastPhoto.jpg (24KB, 662x494px) Image search: [Google]
LayneStaleyLastPhoto.jpg
24KB, 662x494px
Why didn't anybody try to intervene when they saw him like this?
>>
>>70451312
>His stage banter is usually hilarious

"They like to call you kids 'Generation X', but I think it should Generation Z because you all keep falling asleep during shows."
>>
>>70451315
All that does is make the guy hate you and distrust you.
You can't "intervene", they have to want to fix it themselves.
>>
>>70451315
Have you ever read about the last six years of Layne's life? It's pretty sad stuff. After a ex-girlfriend of his died, he basically quit life, did heroin and waited to die. The last six years of his life, he just say in his apartment slowly wasting away. When people tried to help, he just refused to talk to them; the only reason anyone even noticed he died was that a few weeks had gone by where he hadn't used his bank account.
>>
>>70451172
This is true about the humor, particularly with Soundgarden who everyone enjoyed touring with cause they were so much fun to be around most of the time, put some silliness in some of their earlier albums, and spent nearly every other interview clowning around.

Kurt Cobain though was a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve and even though he had fun too I wouldn't dismiss many of his comments as jokey jabs. Sure, there's the marketing angle too, but he seemed to be genuinely repulsed by the images of some bands he talked trash about and whatever it is he thought they "stood for" or "represented."

And I don't think Kurt and Eddie were ever really friends. They'd met before and thought they were nice people but I'm almost certain they were never close.
>>
What is their most underrated song?
My vote goes to Sunshine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOGAkmRek84

Killer vocals, great harmonies and a nice solo as well
>>
>>70451312
This. Him drunkenly singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game with adjusted lyrics at that Cubs is one of the funniest things I've ever seen a musician do.
>>
>>70451431
>Kurt Cobain though was a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve and even though he had fun too I wouldn't dismiss many of his comments as jokey jabs
Don't be too sure about that. I know the Kurt worshipers have tried to make Kurt seem like a sensitive, damaged soul that took everything seriously, but he was as much a joker as anyone else. Just read Buzz Osbourne's comments about Montage of Heck as an example; according to him, Kurt loved fucking with people, and hated that some of the stories in that movie were treated as true when he knew they were bullshit.

I've known people that knew Kurt, and I have to say that's pretty accurate. I've even heard one person call his sense of humor "low class, white-trash stuff."
>>
>>70451315
Kinney has commented on Staley's final years and isolation period:

"I kept trying to make contact...Three times a week, like clockwork, I'd call him, but he'd never answer. Every time I was in the area, I was up in front of his place yelling for him...Even if you could get in his building, he wasn't going to open the door. You'd phone and he wouldn't answer. You couldn't just kick the door in and grab him, though there were so many times I thought about doing that. But if someone won't help themselves, what, really, can anyone else do?"
>>
>>70451525
Didn't Buzz (or somebody else) say he liked to make dark humor and even racist jokes? Pretty much just liked being edgy in that sense.
>>
File: KurtCobain4.jpg (95KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
KurtCobain4.jpg
95KB, 1280x854px
>tfw Kurt will never shoot you in the head
>>
>>70451525
>Don't be too sure about that. I know the Kurt worshipers have tried to make Kurt seem like a sensitive, damaged soul that took everything seriously, but he was as much a joker as anyone else.
That may be and I acknowledged he was joker at times too but it's not fiction that he was a very image-obsessed person who very much had his punk rock cred in mind. I think I've even read that he lied to someone about his first concert so he wouldn't seem like a poser. He started a feud with GNR for their image. He took plenty of potshots at bands he didn't like and I'm hard pressed to think it was always just a gag that everyone mistakenly took seriously.

>Just read Buzz Osbourne's comments about Montage of Heck as an example; according to him, Kurt loved fucking with people, and hated that some of the stories in that movie were treated as true when he knew they were bullshit.
Oh yeah, I've heard plenty of Buzz's anecdotes which are pretty interesting. The context I always got from that though wasn't that Kurt was joking and the media just missed the joke and took it seriously, but rather that Kurt told tall tales on occasion to bolster his image and then documentaries like MoH took it seriously, and after the fact Buzz says some of those stories were just fabricated. Like that story about the train tracks, Kurt told that story in a very matter-of-fact straight faced way, and if he was just being tongue-in-cheek he wasn't very good at coming off that way.

I do think you're right that Kurt was a more jovial guy at times than his reputation gives him credit for but he wasn't always just havin a laugh either, you know?
>>
>>70451315
A lot of people did, Layne just didn't want help. Really sad to see him go from this to that.
>>
>>70450774
>But RHCP hasn't forgiven anyone
I thought it was really only Anthony Keidis who had a problem with Mr. Bungle. The rest of the band liked them.
>>
>>70446893
>>70446893

Dirt is the one album I can listen to in full, and it is their magnum opus.
>>
>>70447293

>most pretentious critic of all time
>>
>>70451970

maybe he knew, deep down, that drugs were the only thing driving his music
>>
>>70448302
The bassist on OP's album
>>
The unplugged version of nutshell is god tier
>>
>>70452601
>cant listen to jar of flies in full

pleb
>>
>>70449785
>Kurt plagiarized material left and right, most notably Leadbelly and David Bowie.
Those are called covers.
>>
>>70448302
Kurt Cobain
Andrew Wood
Layne Staley
Mike Starr
Mia Zapata
Kristen Pfaff
>>
>>70446893
Would? is one of the greatest songs of all time
>>
>>70447407
What an assuming cock. Staley and Cantrell were both born and raised in Washington.
>>
>>70447803
I never was able to get into SG either
>>
>>70448302
Shannon Hoon
Bradley Nowell
>>
>>70448820
AAAAHH dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun AAAAHH
>>
>>70449027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx3fxLFDQ0c
>>
Nirvana > SG > AiC > STP > PJ
>>
>>70446893
INTO THE FLOOD AGAIN
>>
Mad Season album is amazing, I would rank it as third best Staley release behind JoF and Dirt
>>
>>70450422
Jerry's two solo albums had the rest of Alice in Chains without Layne. He could have gone on with more albums under his name, but Layne's estate gave him their blessing to record under the Alice in Chains name after he did a reunion tour. Layne's mom told him that Layne would have wanted the band to go on. So you can't really blame Jerry. He kept playing with the rest of Alice in Chains since the self titled album, when Layne fucked off after he was done with Mad Season. He has been playing both his solo and Alice in Chains stuff on tours before Duvall.
>>
meh, they aite, i prefer when layne sang in Mad Season. Shit is lit.
>>
>>70451438
Shame in You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOx3jbbQzsk
>>
Did anyone else like the self titled best? It was one of the records that broadened my taste in metal past the usual extreme metal trappings the genre is stereotyped about. It introduced me to a lot of sludge metal which in turn got me into the more doom and stoner metal bands. It kills me they never followed the self titled. Alice in Chains played their strengths well on their slower stuff. They were good doing both softer and loud stuff. Shit on them all you want, but the metal side of the grunge era like Tad and Soundgarden would have led to better "post" Grunge shit than bands aping Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I think the only post Grunge band I liked was Staind. They ripped on Alice in Chains harder than their contemporary.
>>
Layne also had a reputation for being quite a gamer. Supposedly he maxed out his credit card buying games when he had his first record sales. You can see him sport a Metal Gear Solid shirt during his last known public photos. He supposedly talked a lot about games to the guys hanging out in the studio when they recorded those 1998 songs like Get Born Again and Died. I always wondered what games in particular he liked. I only know he was a big faggot for Metal Gear Solid because of the shirt. None of their interviews where they talk about him into vidya mention which on particular.
>>
>>70460786
>sport a Metal Gear Solid shirt
Do you have this photo?
>>
>>70452623
It's a reference to a line in Junkman, the degree thing.
>>
>>70460786
>>70461103
Wow, nevermind. I have this photo saved and only just realized he's wearing a MGS t shirt
>>
>>70461162
Can you post it
>>
>>70461216
It's in the thread
>>70451315
I wish it didn't have to be *that* one, but it is
>>
>>70461268
Oh right
Is that photo mirrored
>>
>>70460589
>My pain is self-chosen
>At least I believe it to be
>I could either drown
>Or pull off my skin and swim to shore
>Now I can grow a beautiful shell for all to see
>>
>>70451855
>I think I've even read that he lied to someone about his first concert so he wouldn't seem like a poser

Oh you mean how he didn't want anyone to know that Van Halen was the first band he ever saw live?
>>
File: IMG_3387.jpg (218KB, 1600x1252px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3387.jpg
218KB, 1600x1252px
>>70461330
The shirt was designed that way.
>>
>>70457726
Soundgarden are more rhythm-driven than melody-driven, their songs aren't as catchy.
>>
>>70446893
Dirt and The Devil put Dinosaurs here objectively best albums
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Louder Than Love [A&M, 1989]

This AOR reclamation job isn't retro because so many of their culturally deprived boho contemporaries have pretty much the same idea. It isn't Led Zep because they're interested in (good at?) noise, not riffs. Covertly conceptual, arty in spite of itself, and I bet metal fans don't bite. C+

Badmotorfinger [A&M, 1991]

OK, OK, I admit it. This is a credible metal album, and not because it leads with the credible "Rusty Cage." You can tell from the guitar noise, the main if not only point of contact between metal albums and what most of us want from rock and roll. While Chris Cornell howls on about "lookin for the paradigm" and "your Jesus Christ pose" (I swear, that's the good stuff), Kim Thayil finishes off "Slaves and Bulldozers" with an electrical storm and erects so much razor wire around "Jesus Christ Pose" (right, same song) you might almost want to interview him. Then he writes a lyric himself. It seems to hinge on the word "begat." B-

Superunknown [A&M, 1994]

Having mocked this group's conceptual pretensions for years, I'd best point out that Chris Cornell still isn't Robert Plant, Kim Thayill still isn't Jimmy Page, and so forth, before cheerfully acknowledging that 1) they're all closer than they used to be and 2) it no longer matters. This is easily the best--the most galvanizing, kinetic, sensational, catchy--Zep rip in history. And though there may be a philosophical or interpersonal dimension, to me the trick sounds like it was done with songwriting, arrangement, and production. At 70 minutes, it's what used to be called a double album, not quite as long as Physical Graffiti but a lot more consistent. And though their apocalyptic pessimism is almost as content-free as Zep's apocalyptic mystagogy, Zep never reached out like Cornell in "My Wave": "Cry, if you want to cry/If it helps you see/If it clears your eyes/Hate, if you want to hate/If it keeps you safe/If it makes you brave." A-
>>
>>70462760
*whipping sound*
>>
>>70447407
Oh Lord
>>
"Since we've gotten big, every reporter out there is trying to go around and dig up anything he can on me. They're going to Aberdeen and interviewing just about every guy my age they can find. Hayseeds with John Deere caps saying 'Oh yeah, I knew that Cobain guy. He slept on my couch for a month back in '87.' or 'Yeah, I sold him his first guitar.'"
>>
>>70448099
Social atomization brought on by the decline of the traditional family and civil society
>>
>>70447407
That was pretty stupid. Cantrell was even playing in a funk band. Changing styles is pretty normal for evolving musicians. AiC was never grunge but Black Sabbath style alternative metal which was from the same city at the same time and was labeled like grunge. Who fucking care how they looked??? that`s pretty superficial and surprises that someone regarded as cool shit would care about that. Sad!
>>
>>70450467
i though it was just the natural cycle of commercial music. Styles have a life span and it was just coincidence that when hair/thrash metal was going out, grunge was going in. We could argue that korn or limp bizkit "Nu-metal" or happy punk equivalent killed "grunge" but doesn´t work because those genres suck donkey balls.
>>
>>70464072
Grunge gave way to nu metal and pop punk.
>>
>>70450596
This. The ramones literally were only playing 50s surf rock 2 minutes songs in a different superficially sonic format (faster, louder, more straight forward with less groove, more distortion, chords chopped down to 5ths). And rock and roll is just sped up, cheered up blues.
>>
>>70464072
>Styles have a life span and it was just coincidence that when hair/thrash metal was going out, grunge was going in

Even though Metallica got shit for going commercial on TBA, they had no choice. Thrash was done and all of the Big 4 were moving away from that to more alternative rock-flavored albums.
>>
>>70464139
And thrash metal is just surf rock with distortion. Your point?
>>
>>70464138
Pop punk was like antithesis of grunge. Even green day was mocking grunge shit. I dont see grunge giving way to nu metal more than hair metal giving way to grunge.
>>
>>70464359
Nope. Thrash combined the punk speed attitude and style with the new wave of british heavy metal shit which had already stripped a lot of blues influence from early metal. Not much 2 3 minute thrash songs with the same two-three proggression all over the song exists.
>>
>>70450544
>Lennon was a terrible guitar player

are you retarded? try to play the triplets on All My Lovin', it's not easy

and Norwegian Wood isn't the easiest thing ever. not at all comparable to cobain's power chords
>>
https://youtu.be/mFxlgN-VMy8?t=12s

>you'll never be interviewed by a beautiful blonde qt
>>
>>70446893
Would? and Them Bones acoustic makes me jizz myself
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.