[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think are the most accesible songs on Trout Mask Replica?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3693.jpg (77KB, 659x751px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3693.jpg
77KB, 659x751px
What do you think are the most accesible songs on Trout Mask Replica?
>>
moonlight on vermont
>>
Moonlight on Vermont
Hair Pie Bake 2
Veteran's Day Poppy
>>
frownland
>>
the entire album is pretty accessible. it's just blues. fucking blues. how is that in any other scary to people that at least dont only listen to top 40 indie rock?
>>
China Pig
>>
>>70446806
Second this
>>
>>70446814
>it's just blues
WRONG
>>
>>70446814
It's a special kind of blues
What blues would you rec to somebody who only listened Bee Fart
>>
I haven't been able to understand the album as a whole yet but I hope to one day. But there are a few songs I am able to get into that I think are great and 10/10s:
>Ella Guru
>Moonlight on Vermont
>Sugar and Spikes
>When Big Joan Sets Up
>Veteran's Day Poppy
>>
>>70446853
tom waits
>>
Moonlight on Vermont
The beginning to Sweet Sweet Bulbs
Sugar 'n Spikes
>>
>>70446814
Come on, you think a normie could get into Pena?
>>
>>70446855
>I haven't been able to understand the album as a whole yet but I hope to one day

just listen to it more bro
>>
>>70446814
>the entire album is pretty accessible
okay anon, give this album to a random stranger on the street just to see if they want to listen to the entire album
>>
>>70446869
Tom Waits isn't blues, come on!
>>
>>70446885
Oh yeah, I will! I only listened to it twice and I'm planning on listening to it a bunch more times. I find it fascinating even if I don't get about 80 percent of it
>>
>>70446853
screamin jay hawkins
>>
>>70446772
China Pig
>>
>>70446920
>>70446853
oh no wait I know, it's Foetus
>>
>>70446855
>>70446818
Oh yeah, I forgot about China Pig. That's the other one I enjoyed
>>
I really like this review of Trout Mask Replica that was posted to rateyourmusic 15 years ago:

>In 1974, Trout Mask Replica was my favorite album. I would sit cross-legged on the deep shag carpeting of the basement floor, slide open the door of the gigantic fifties model stereo-TV console, and flip through the albums. Are You Experienced? was too intense, Superfly too creepy, the banana album (Velvet Underground & Nico) too terrifying, and Blonde On Blonde too boring. I didn’t get the Virgin Fugs album, but it still intrigued me. I was immediately drawn to the bright red cover of Trout Mask Replica, with a man in a goofy fish mask of alluring neon colors. Captain Beefheart was one word different from Captain Kangaroo, and other comical names were listed, like Drumbo, Zoot Horn Rollo and Rockette Morton. The sounds were strange and somewhat jarring, but it was the words, the funny nonsensical words that would come out of seemingly a dozen different voices, all cartoonish in their own way.

>For the same reason that my uncle found the album difficult, frustrating and annoying, I found it funny and entertaining. I believed it was a children’s record. And who’s to say it wasn’t? I was five years old, and Trout Mask Replica was my favorite record. It was made just for me. The White Album had some songs I liked, but it didn’t hold my attention. And it certainly blew away my Winnie the Pooh and Jungle Book records, though I still had a fondness for my Oscar The Grouch "I Love Trash" 45. I loved to confound my grandparents and playmates with snippets like "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast ‘n’ bulbous, got me?" They never got me. Did I even get me? It didn’t matter. To an adult it might sound vaguely sexual. But really it was just the sound of the words. After that quote, one can hear the good Captain giggling to himself and saying, "I love those words." So did I.
>>
>>70447065
continued:

>Perhaps for the same reason that James Joyce admitted, if read aloud to a child, Ulysses would be better understood by the child than the adult. Did Joyce and Beefheart have children in mind when they created their works? Probably not. But perhaps in their efforts to create something startlingly new, they tapped into some of the imagination they all but lost since childhood. Like Guy Debord did with dada in the '20’s, they ended up with a simulation of what it might have felt like when you just learned to talk. Language was new, and all words sounded strange, and felt funny when you said them. It was new and fun to play with. By all accounts, Beefheart has done much to extend this sensation. Beefheart recalled that when he was five, he refused to go to school for fear that they would ruin his mind. The double album’s labels featured a picture of young Don, no older than seven, as if it was an homage to his five-year-old creativity. He liked to say that he got musicians who never played before. To get them past the ‘I’ consciousness, you know? That endless ‘me, me, me’. Or do-re-mi, whatever that stuff is. While they were actually trained musicians, he did force them to unlearn some things and play in a completely different way, as if they were children learning new instruments. [...]
>>
>>70446806
Pretty catchy actually. So is Ella Guru.
>>
>>70446772
Veteran Day's Poppy
>>
Moonlight on Vermont, but the song that made the album click for me
was Bill's Corpse
>>
>>70447113
>>70447065
That is a great review, good stuff
>>
>>70447357
What made it click for you? How would you go about enjoying this whole album?
>>
Jokes on you. They are all accessible. The wiser you get the more you realize it's garbage can music.
>>
>>70447640
>Pena
>accessible

Also what is garbage can music?
>>
>>70447113
Don insisted in several interviews that he was still a baby, despite being in his 40s. He claims to have decided at age 3 or 4 that adulthood was a farce and refused to grow up, preferring to remain a child forever.
>>
I loved Frownland at first listen. Few tracks later I was like WTF am I listening to? Then Moonlight came on and I decided this rules.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.