[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the difference between /bleep/ and EDM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: skrillexdeadmau5animation.jpg (30KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
skrillexdeadmau5animation.jpg
30KB, 660x440px
Whats the difference between /bleep/ and EDM?
>>
>>70442356
there's no difference
>>
>>70442356
nothing
>>
EDM is a corporate monstrosity aimed at extracting wealth from millennials.
Bleep is for neckbeards who listen to Frankie knuckles and aphex twin
>>
>>70442356
The same difference as Foo Fighters and King Crimson.
>>
>>70442437
Yeah, see
>>70442394
>>70442397
>>
>>70442356
literally nothing
they listen to the exact same porter robinson shit plus shitty rap too
>>
>>70442356
production-wise /bleep/ is a tiny bit more sophisticated
>>
>>70442778
Where does this fit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5krL1GyzwJo
>>
>>70442420
>Bleep is for neckbeards who listen to Frankie knuckles and aphex twin
don't insult Frankie, he was a good kid
>>
>>70442540
Don't be dissin my boy Porter desu
>>
/bleep/ is for more underground electronic music that is less cheesy and generally a bit more atmospheric. Moody bangers, dusty techno that sort of thing
>>
>>70442420
>>70442540
>describing /r/electonicmusic instead

/bleep/ would laugh in your face if you posted frankie, aphex or porter

grime, jungle, techno and dub are the genres listened to there, with some deep house, liquid dnb and breakbeat thrown in.
>>
>>70442821
that's EDM. it's too much "wait for the sick drop bro" and has the idea that louder = better.

these are more /bleep/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6yD3ME_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01k8eyv9Wc
>>
>>70442982
>bleep would laugh at frankie
it is his birthday please show some respect
>>
>>70443094
did u really have to post mall grab ffs
>>
>>70443122
Can't is a banger tho
>>
>>70442866
You're the same asshat in all these threads. Porter is fucking shit. EDM is shit. Bin yourself and go back to r eddit.
>>
>>70442821
100% shitty youtube EDM
>>
I don't understand this thread. I'm not really into electronic music anyway but as I understand it, OP's question is "what is the difference between genre called Electronic Dance Music and /mu/'s thread generals named /bleep/ discussing that type of music?" or what? Am I missing something? What the hell is /bleep/, I thought it was name for a thread just like /gg/ is for guitars&bass discussion.
>>
>>70442356
Very basically since I lost the long post I was making:
/bleep/ is a bunch of genres with a common origin in disco, the style of music being played in discotheques (i.e. clubs) in late 70's America. /bleep/ is all music which keeps that original definition of music produced to be played in a club as part of a DJ set to get people to dance.
EDM is a concoction of some of these underground club sounds which entered the mainstream in America around 2011, conquering the charts and birthing huge festivals worth millions of dollars (something which has happened before, c.f. electro birthing hip hop music, house/trance defining virtually all of European pop).

Anyway, the difference is that one has a focus on club culture and club play and the other does not.
>>
>>70442356
im not even /bleep/ but im pretty sure edm is more like "bro sick drop hype music" and bleep is more like tryna make actual compositions/songs that sound all electronic and stuff
>>
>>70443094

This is oldschool house.
>>
>>70446524
neither of those are "oldschool house" (first one is lo-fi house, something decidely modern) and the second one isn't even house at all, it's jungle
>>
>>70442437
FF being bleep of course.
>>
You can tell it's /bleep/ because the youtube videos always use a circular picture of a disc/record cause they're fags I guess idk
>>
>>70446850
this
>>
>>70443094
There's edm that doesn't have a drop. There's always halftime, glitch hop, breakbeat, and trance. Plus liquid doesn't really need a drop if you pull off the drums well
>>
>>70447737
still a large difference between "EDM" and all the other electronic dance music styles out there
>>
EDM is "party music"
/bleep/ is all kinds of electronic music
>>
>>70447949
/bleep/ only listens to the dance shit though
>>
>>70442356
>My comparison(Using house music as a focus of my comparison)
>EDM (Modern electronica)
-Uses risers(usually that sound you hear when the chorus starts)
-If it does have a bassline, sometimes it will be a loud bassy bassline.
-Doesn't always rely on a bassline, but focuses more on a melody.
-A cliche is when a beat "drops"
-Uses "dramatic" synthesizers and is made for the mass consumer market.
-Usually released as a radio mix
-Sometimes the chord of the synthesizers are set to be keep rising at 1/4(Volume of the chords go up and down every beat).
>bleep (focuses more on elements of older electornica music)
-Some are reliant on bassline.
-Subtle changes throughout the song and is monotone with repeating notes and chords(One section will have the bassline removed and then hi-hats will be added in the next section, then the chords will be removed and you reintroduce your bass drum, introduce the snares, take-off the bassline and snares at the same time, rinse repeat to your liking, ect...)
-Some songs can last more than 4 minutes(not usually released for radio play, they are released as singles and usually not in albums).

Demonstration of:
>Considered "bleep house" by todays standards(was top 40 electronic music in the 80's)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQ_bOP0HfY

>Considered "EDM House" (its a remix of the song above)
https://youtu.be/UFa7eUx6yNI?t=56s
>>
>>70449351
christ
talk about butchering a classic
>>
ur talking about technO?
techno is just lazy people making repetitive dj tools with drum loops, the worse the more likely it is to be played.
succesful edm requires effort.
>>
>>70442420
I was going to tell you to can it until you made fun of /beep/ too.

Yeah that's your answer OP. Technically difference in music theory but artistic wise absolutely nothing. They're both quite literally "electronic dance music" except one is bright and glitzy and the other is skeletal and hollow.
>>
nothing
>>
>>70442821
Just by looking at the picture you can tell it's EDM.
>>
File: md.png (67KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
md.png
67KB, 400x400px
just do urself a favor and filter bleep

save a life
>>
>>70452424
this
/bleep/ is awful
>>
Am I supposed to dance to /bleep/?
I was expecting it to be highly experimental and obscure electronic music since it was /mu/ after all but all I found was music i'd expect my pleb friends to be playing. Was I correct in dismissing it so quickly?
>>
>>70453582
what was some of the shit you found?
>>
>>70442420

>neckbeards that like Frankie knuckles and aphex twins

As a /bleep/ I died laughing at this. Thnx m8
>>
>>70453582
Yeah cuz plebs are super into dub techno, which isn't obscure or experimental at all (especially compared to usual /mu/ suspects like daft punk or whatnot)
ffs
>>
Take any skrillex fan boy and force them to listen to the Northern Electronics or Honest Jons catalog. There's your difference
>>
>>70453600
It's just like monstercat edm shit
>>
>>70453661
Well I'm a fan of 70's/80's dub but does /bleep/ really like it? I guess I should browse there more often than.
>>
>>70453582
>Am I supposed to dance to /bleep/?
yes
>I was expecting it to be highly experimental and obscure electronic music
it is
electronic dance music and music of the "highly experimental and obscure variety are in no way mutually exclusive. To think so it's incredibly ignorant on your part. Typical /mu/ attitude I suppose. And don't even get me started on you guys are your rockist obsession with studio albums somehow being the only way to consume music...
>>
>>70453827
>Well I'm a fan of 70's/80's dub but does /bleep/ really like it?
It's not one of the most commonly discussed genres in those threads, but yes. It was incredibly influential on a lot of /bleep/ music.
>>
bin yourselves
>>
>>70452424
>>70453541
/bleep/ is shit

bleeps are the best music today
>>
>>70449351
that remix is horrific
>>
>>70442356
bleep is for those who have lower self esteem
>>
>bleep

https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj-100.aspx

>EDM

https://djmag.com/top100dj
>>
>>70454902
>/bleep/
>RA top 100 DJs
lmao, more like
>/techhouse/
>>
>>70446850
Delet
>>
>>70443094
thanks for these
>>
>>70446850
oh shit he's on to us
>>
EDM used to englobe all electronic dance music, but since America's latest bastardization of the term it is now associated with rave-like, loud and distorted, vaguely techno-ish/brostepish stuff like Martin Garrix, Dimitri Vegas, Hardwell, Avicci and the likes. Generally really same-y, loud and energetic music meant mainly for festivals.

/bleep/ refers to the dance music that spawned from Detroit and was adopted and developed in Europe. Techno, dub techno, d'n'b, jungle, house, footwork, trance, 2step, dubstep, grime, etc., associated with the original raves and a more club-like, moody environment.
>>
>>70443094
>louder = better.
but thats true
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.