[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dream Theater

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (122KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
122KB, 1280x782px
Alright /mu/, I dont usually visit this board but due to a thread on /v/ that had prog metal and Dream Theater as the main themes, I decided to check out the band because I've never really heard them before besides Pull me under that played in Guitar Hero.

I have only listened to Ocatavarium (the song) but holy hell, I dont know what to say, this was fucking amazing and I didnt know a 24min song went by so fast.

This is really good I think, Its weird but I loved the rock (?) organ and the way it sounded, its like I was going through a wild journey of hate and self-pity and at the same time a feeling of wanting to be free and break out from this insane loop even though we dont have the willpower to change ourselves? I honestly dont know if I'm even making sense but I'm a bit shooken up, I dont know how to describe its weird, maybe its nothing that special but this is competely new to me.

Can someone educate me regarding this band please?
>>
just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51oPKLSuyQY

dream theater are probably the most popular prog metal band ever (except maybe tool, if you count them) but its unlikely that you will find many fans of them on here. they have a few good songs IMO. they tend to be either underrated or overrated.
>>
File: 1455589172002.jpg (537KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1455589172002.jpg
537KB, 1500x1125px
>dream theater
>>
File: 1481258472278.png (697KB, 1164x886px) Image search: [Google]
1481258472278.png
697KB, 1164x886px
>>70439346
Better don't
>>
dream theater are really overrated.
first you think that they are pretty creative and avant and shit, but then you realize that almost all of their albums are the same wank over and over.

imo the only albums worth checking are Images and Words, Metropolis pt2 and Train of Thought. the recent albums suck and are really fucking cheesy (DUDE THE POWER OF MUSIC LMAO)

you should really check some real prog so you can btfo the plebs at /v/.
>>
>>70439461
There is literally nothing wrong with a lot of those bands
>>
>>70439458
>>70439461
Ok, I'm 10 mins into /mu/ and I already understand this is your popular thing to hate, thats fair, I did not intend to start a shitstorm or anything.

As I said, I liked it because its not something I'm used to hear, I'm open to suggestions and if you guys know stuff thats real good I could use your help, thats why I came here.
>>
>>70439346
Kek I made that thread
What a shitfest it was

There are much better prog metal bands though
Like Fates Warning, Leprous, Opeth, Pain of Salvation and Porcupine Tree
>>
File: Mucoreprogrock.jpg (402KB, 914x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Mucoreprogrock.jpg
402KB, 914x1600px
>>70439346
Man /mu/ isn't the place to be if you wanna talk about Dream Theater, the vast majority of us think it's guitarist wank with not a lot of songwriting merit.
That said if you want to start getting into prog here's a chart (I'd say start with In the Court of the Crimson King because muh /mu/core)
>>
File: truth.png (3KB, 318x70px) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
3KB, 318x70px
>>70439346
Just stick to the old prog rock.
>>
Trust me being prog metal fan on /mu/ is suffering
You get bullied both by the board and the metal general
>>
try king crimson
>>
>>70439547
The thing with prog metal is that most of it is amazing or terrible with nothing in between
>>
>>70439562
that and it has shitty cover art
>>
I'm not a huge prog metal fan, but check out Cynic - Focus
>>
Dream Theater's problem is that they thought they were a good metal band. Every time they try to get "heavy" it's just fucking embarrassing to listen to.

Falling Into Infinity, their least metal album, is also one of their best for that reason alone. Yeah the songs that we're co-written by pop songwriters were pretty awful, but on the other hand, Vesuvian Skies.
>>
>>70439461
Oh god, that was me at 16. I still like Images and Words in a campy sort of way.
>>
>>70440196
Everything from dream and day to six degrees is pretty good. Everything after train is meh at best, which is when they started to get more "metal"
>>
>>70439461
t. Pitchfork reading poptimist cuck
>>
>>70439540
needs gazpacho desu
>>
DT is a gateway band
>>
>>70440733
Why would you need such a generic band?
>>
>octavarium
>not a change of seasons
>>
>>70439540
wew, didn't expect to find Harmonium on a chart on /mu/
>>
>>70439392
Agreed. Too many people cite tool, and even though I love Tool, they really are prog-alt metal and much less progressive than DT
>>
>>70439461
What if I enjoy all those bands, but still enjoy tons of other genres, and I don't try to place progressive over everything else, bc that's not where it belongs?
>>
>>70441091
this
>>
>>70439346
Even when I was getting into prog I always found this band too cheesy
Labrie is one of the worst vocalists in metal

>>70439461
I really don't think most 16 year old prog fans have heard of Borknagar and Threshold
>>
File: b43c28a75f.jpg (231KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b43c28a75f.jpg
231KB, 600x600px
>>70439346
Regarding Dream Theater, listen to the album Awake, and then quickly walk away because nothing else is worth checking out

If you want good modern prog metal bands, check out people like Between the Buried and Me, early Haken, Leprous. Otherwise it's a pretty shite genre
>>
>>70439461
Opeth is good
>>
>>70443955
Dubs confirm
>>
>>70439496
lol, shitstorm is basically what /mu/ is all about, what did you expect
>>
File: reeee.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
reeee.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
Post guilty prog pleasures.

/mu/ be damned
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.