[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cocteau twins literally suck so bad.... why do you people like them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

cocteau twins literally suck so bad....

why do you people like them?
>>
cocteau twins is like kate bush on nyquil
>>
kill ya damn self

you probably like hip hop and aren't aware they made the first trap song
>>
>>70417921
More like Cuckteau Twins
>>
>>70418481
>you probably like hip hop
not really. atcq is okay but beyond that it's not my thing. i listened to cocteau because they're apparently proto-shoegaze.

and all their music is just....terrible
>>
>>70418564
>and all their music is just....terrible
it's fine that you don't like them just remember that if you can't explain why in any kind of detail your opinion counts for nothing and you shouldn't post it
>>
Not a huge fan myself
>>
Listen to The Wedding Present instead.
>>
>>70417921
Personally, Heaven or Las Vegas is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I can see why someone wouldn't like it
>>
>>70418481
Which song was that?
>>
>>70418671
or Pale Saints

The thing I hate about the Cocteau Twins is the use of drum machines. I still don't understand why the trend back then was to use drum machines. It's impossible to make them sound good.

Their production style was innovative for the time, but the songs just weren't good.
>>
CT IS THE GREATEST BAND EVER
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>70418481
which song
>>
>>70418722
drum machines are best machine
>>
>>70418708
>>70418778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirADPT5bx4

I mean, I was being slightly facetious but they were definitely an influence on trip hop and this is eerily similar to the sing song-y airy sound of trap at the moment (mainly because of the 808)

>>70418722
it's stands out way less on everything after garlands. i've never been particularly impressed by a shoegaze or dream pop drummer anyway, it's not a dealbreaker in the genre
>>
>>70418869
yeah I mean even the weeknd stole his dark rnb from the cocteau wins. pioneers to all this shit
>>
>>70418869
>i've never been particularly impressed by a shoegaze or dream pop drummer anyway

The drummers in Ride and Chapterhouse (when they actually used him and not horrible samples) completely outclassed the rest of the bands they were in.

The drum machines sounded less intrusive after Garlands because Robin Guthrie got better at masking them.

Apart from that though, like I said, I don't like CT's songwriting. Lorelei and HOL had some good things about them but I'd rather not listen to either album.
>>
>>70418947
>Lorelei
I meant Treasure. I always call it that on accident.
>>
>>70418722
Big Black makes the drum machine god-tier desu
>>
>>70417921
>....
>>70418564
>....

....kys
>>
>>70418978
Disagree and I like Big Black.
>>
>>70418947
they aren't for you then. move on
>>
>>70419035
I've already come to that conclusion.

This board isn't a circlejerk or a utopia. It's for discussion. You should fuck off.
>>
>>70418947
you're right about ride actually, but I guess I don't consider them shoegaze proper. if they hadn't come out at that time, most people would just have called them neo psychedelia.

that's besides the point though because the big difference is that ride was very much a rock band, whereas cocteau twins was supposed to be much more abstract and ethereal. so when they toned down the drum machine usage it wasn't a problem.

songwriting, I kinda see what you mean. their albums tend to blend together, but I think that's partially intended - again it's kinda the nature of their sound. if you're op, you said they suck, which kinda implies you think there is someone who does what they do better. but it seems more to be that you just don't like the sound at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CHbmZIRXE
>>
>>70417921
>literally suck so bad....
It's okay, you'll "get" them once you're out of high school, sport
>>
>>70419067
no you should fuck off. I will not stand here and let some twat be ignorant
>>
>>70419097
I'm not OP

>>70419117
I've already explained my reasoning for why I don't like Cocteau Twins and it's perfectly reasonable. Sorry it hurt your feelings. But like I said, you should fuck off. You're everything wrong with /mu/. This board isn't about you.
>>
>>70419208
oh so /mu/ is for ppl who clearly dislike something and waste energy whining about why they dislike it and posting no better alternatives
thats rich!
>>
>>70419246
No /mu/ is for discussing why you do or don't like something, which is what I was doing. Til you came whining and kicking your feet.
>>
>>70418722
>I still don't understand why the trend back then was to use drum machines
two reasons, both pretty obvious. number one the technology got better around that time (roland 808 and e-mu drumulator both released in the early 80s) and naturally developed interest. number two, this was just after punk and diy was the thing. so if you couldn't play drums or find a drummer of course you were just gonna make do and use a drum machine (especially because the two machines I just mentioned were relatively cheap). not really a stylistic choice as you put it, just people making do with what they had
>>
>>70417921
>why do you people like them?
Cause her voice is gorgeous.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.