[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a MUSIC TECHNOLOGY TEACHER anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: minimoog-model-d3.jpg (357KB, 1178x716px) Image search: [Google]
minimoog-model-d3.jpg
357KB, 1178x716px
Ask a MUSIC TECHNOLOGY TEACHER anything
>>
What is the best music?
>>
>>70380474
electronic, of course
>>
Hi, I want to start recording to release vinyl singles. I was going to use a tape recorder. May I have your advice?
>>
how do i simplify (t^2)/(t^2+1)
>>
>>70380494
Either find a record plant that can accept tapes as masters. Or record on cassette then convert to digital file to submit that way. In my opinion, if you want that classic cassette sound, try getting an old school multitrack recorder that records on cassette tape... that'll give you enough hiss to sound authentic. Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-464-4-Track-cassette-multitrack-12-ch-analog-mixer-/192056932533?hash=item2cb77c38b5:g:srAAAOSw5cNYVtNj
>>
>>70380636
merzbow
>>
what was the most annoying student you ever had
>>
>>70380719
anyone pasting together stock garageband loops and calling it original
>>
>>70380461
how do i become a productive member of society
>>
>>70380666
I was thinking a reel to reel recorder. Am I going to have trouble when I go to my vinyl presser? Do vinyl manufacturers take care of mastering or is there another process I need to include in my costs? Thanks.
>>
File: boyle.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
boyle.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>70380832
kill yourself
>>
>>70380461
are you that guy who produced that one pixies record and whose name rhymes with linguini
>>
>>70380838
depends on the plant. you'll have to call around. and yes, often they will take care of mastering for an additional fee. or just master it yourself if you want to invest a few grand in some actual oldschool mastering equipment.
http://vintageking.com/outboard/mastering
>>
>>70380927
no i'm a teacher not a professional record producer
and i assume you mean "bucky fellini" which is actually a dead milkmen album, not the pixies
>>
>>70380960
>additional fee
Right.
>>70380960
>invest a few grand in some actual oldschool mastering
Ok.
>>
is it worth the money to upgrade from reaktor 6 to 7?
>>
Should I change my courses at college to audio engineering, performance or music technology?
>>
What a good entry synthesizer?
Sorry if someone already asked this question.
>>
File: lisa.jpg (6KB, 250x203px) Image search: [Google]
lisa.jpg
6KB, 250x203px
>>70381204
you'll have to wait and see... when is 7 supposed to be out? Are you dreaming? are you suffering from delusions?
>>
>>70381274
tell me more about your career goals before i give you an answer.
>>
>>70381294
Also should additional speakers be matched to the synthesiser and if so what numbers do we look for? Thanks.
>>
File: Miley-Cyrus-Tongue.jpg (40KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Miley-Cyrus-Tongue.jpg
40KB, 615x409px
>>70381294
depends on if you mean software or hardware. honestly i think software is the way to go because of the limitless options. i don't see anything wrong with some of the garageband synth plugins to get a feel for manipulating some sounds, if you've never done it before. if you want something more advanced try reason which has a nice supply of synths.
>>
File: 80scomputer.jpg (2MB, 2304x3488px) Image search: [Google]
80scomputer.jpg
2MB, 2304x3488px
>>70381338
not necessarily. just make sure you get some speakers that can reproduce as much of the audio spectrum as possible.... from 20hz to 20khz so that you can hear everything it has to offer.
>>
>>70381385
We were talking about this the other day and it got really edgy
>>
>>70381352
Cool.
Hardware
>What is a good entry synthesizer?
>>
>>70381299
oh whoops I meant from 5 to 6
>>
>>70381619
Well i can't say it any better or more thoroughly than this:
http://www.thesynthesizersympathizer.com/2016/05/buying-your-first-synthesizer-2016-guide.html
>>
>>70380461
what institution?
>>
>>70381675
Yes get 6 if anything for the blocks.
>>
>>70381776
Cool thanks
>>
>>70381802
I teach in a high school and i prefer to remain anonymous.
>>
can i go to the bathroom?
>>
>>70381840
understandable
i ta'd for half a year roughly at a middle school's slowly crumbling music media class and it sucked so i can't imagine what you go through
>>
>>70381878
my classes are actually great. most of my students love getting away from the drudgery of boring math and english classes to be able to come to my room to "make beats". so it totally doesn't suck at all, it's actually awesome!
>>
>>70381320
I have no expectations or goals.
But I am ambitious once I get my sights locked on something
>>
>>70381841
I don't know. Can you?
>>
>>70380461
favorite daw?
>>
File: geek.jpg (134KB, 425x321px) Image search: [Google]
geek.jpg
134KB, 425x321px
>>70382112
>audio engineering, performance or music technology
Audio Engineering: Spend your life working with terrible artists, trying to make them sound good and having to cringe silently to yourself because they're paying your bills.

Performance: Spend your life isolated in a practice room playing the same music over and over again trying to perfect something you'll only get to perform once for an audience.

Music Technology: Spend your life agonizing over technical problems trying to figure out what the hell button to push to get that mediocre sound your brain is imagining, then when it's all done post to soundcloud and get a maximum of 25 listens
>>
>>70382135
As a high school teacher, Garageband is incredible for getting plebs to make music.

As a musician, I for some reason really like Presonus Studio One
>>
OP here i'm tired going to bed now
>>
>>70382557
Night night
>>
>>70380461
What's a good ambient VSTi? I want to make warm drone, but everything I make with the VSTs I have turn out "flat" to me, even with the massive amount of reverb I add on.
>>
What IS music and what ISNT music?
>>
File: angry.jpg (134KB, 895x895px) Image search: [Google]
angry.jpg
134KB, 895x895px
>>70382131
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

American kids will get this joke. Teachers would say it all the time. ugh. Making you say, "May I go to the bathroom."
>>
How do make an synth go wub wub
>>
How much max/msp do you use/teach?
>>
>>70385867
kek
>>
>>70380491
What sort
>>
>>70384632
Oscillate the filter
>>
What synthesizer starts at 12 seconds in this video? Is it the synth shown at 22 seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIVGQ-B9G38
>>
>>70386057
it all sounds like the shitty late 80ies all in one synth workstation it probably is
>>
Do you call people moogs?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.