[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm picking up the bass, recommend songs to learn.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0699.jpg (10KB, 394x128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0699.jpg
10KB, 394x128px
I'm picking up the bass, recommend songs to learn.
>>
Bumo
>>
>>70367601
What are you into for starters?
I'm not a bass player (I'm into drums) but I like bass and I have a bass guitar. The first song I tried to learn was Jambi by Tool.
>>
>>70368296
Like the kind of music I like?

I'm into Animal Collective, Boards of Canada, The Microphones, Death Grips, Swans, LCD Soundsystem, Sigur Rós, M83, The Avalanches, Oneohtrix Point Never, Neon Indian, Sweet Trip, Radiohead, The Knife, My Bloody Valentine, Have a Nice Life, The Chemical Brothers, Clark, Health, Nine Inch Nails, Run the Jewels, Flying Lotus, Crystal Castles, Daft Punk, DJ Shadow, Sufjan Stevens, Massive Attack, Xiu Xiu, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Harrison, Modest Mouse, Deerhunter, Ween, Moderat, Dan Deacon, Vampire Weekend, Arca, Actress, clipping. and Fuck Buttons.
>>
>>70368393
Did you just called all the bands you know? Mkay..
>>
>>70368393
Girls & Boys - blur
15 Step - Radiohead
Bloodhail - Have a Nice Life
Breaking Glass - Bowie
This Charming Man - The Smiths
Fascination Street - The Cure

Can't go wrong with most basslines from The Smiths, blur, or Radiohead though.
>>
File: 1461498999802.gif (3MB, 230x137px) Image search: [Google]
1461498999802.gif
3MB, 230x137px
>>70367601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DB-VjiFNwQ
here's a god tier song to learn on bass.
>>
>>70367601
Just learn guitar.
>>
>>70368393
>Radiohead
Radiohead has some really fantastic basslines but they might be a bit difficult for a beginner

>Swans
Screenshot is really easy if you can get the timing down, its also great practice for hammer-ons and pull offs

>Daft Punk
Around the World is pretty approachable and fun for a beginner
>>
The first song I learned on bass was Hey by Pixies. Really fun to play and easy to learn
>>
>>70367601

this youtuber https://www.youtube.com/user/CoverSolutions is a great resource for just starting out. Although playing exclusively tabs can be detrimental later on, just getting the ideas and positioning right is a great benefit. He covers a range of styles and complexity, all with tabs and play along covers. Again, going for radiohead is great for starting out. You can challenge yourself with some early RHCP, even if their music is above average at best and usually kinda stagnant. Sly and the Family Stone is great for getting into slap/funk bass. Good luck! And definitely stick with it, I switched over from piano six years ago and have had a great time playing
>>
>>70368393
And the list goes on...

I suck at bass but a real easy song is Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun by Pink Floyd, or just be ultimate dadrocker and play Money.
>>
>>70368617
>play what literally everyone else plays instead of an underplayed instrument that's actually in demand and gives you a chance to join a group

Kys
>>
>>70369610
>Implying every guitarist can't play bass better than literally 95% of bassists
Learning guitar will make you good at bass.
>>
interpol songs are usually hella fun to play
PDA,Obstacle 1,Take you a cruise,roland,my desire...
>>
PDA - Interpol
Blinded by Fear - At The Gates
Seek and Destroy - Metallica
Vital Signs - Rush
I like you so much better when you're naked - Ida Maria
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Charlotte the harlot - iron maiden
>>
>>70367601
all about that bass
>>
Learn any funk music and punk music. Those are the most fun.
>>
>>70370503
They're totally different instruments, and the thinking that goes into playing each one are completely distinct
>>
>>70370891
It does work both ways to a degree. Learning bass will also make it easier to learn guitar.
>>
>>70370931
Ehh, guitar is a lot about knowing chord shapes. Bassists tend to think more in terms of lines and rhythm. I think learning any instrument makes it easier to learn more.
>>
one of the first things i ever did was to learn the whole of black sabbath's master of reality note for note, by ear. worked wonders for me.

you like modest mouse. dramamine has a neat little bassline- in fact a lot of their music has super fun melodic bass stuff that's just the right level of challenging.
>>
>>70367601
Gouge Away, Where is My Mind, or Hey by the Pixies are all good choices
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1jVmy10fs
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.