[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is vinyl so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: vinyl.jpg (2MB, 2218x2216px) Image search: [Google]
vinyl.jpg
2MB, 2218x2216px
so I've got an odd question/rant.

i started collecting recently. it's a fantastic experience and it can't be denied that it tops downloading mp3s by a mile. however, in my naiveté I thought that even despite living in NYC I'd be pulling out my favorite albums out of the stacks in record stores and pay about $5 to $15 for them.

well...nope. almost everything that's not classical/soul/funk/big band/swing/jazz is above $15 mark. Discogs is cool, but there's not a big (most likely none at all) difference price wise between their selection of used contemporary music and say, ebay or amazon. practically every new release of contemporary music is above $15, most of them are at $20 mark.

I wanted to snag a Massive Attack album, cheapest there is is $25, even used. Okay... Tycho, Radiohead, Talking Heads, DJ Shadow - $20+. Went to one NYC music store, saw an Iron Maiden record - $45. Is it made of gold? Jesus.

>tl;dr : do you have any tips to where to stack on contemporary music vinyl that doesn't breaks the bank?

I'd appreciate tips to save $.

>Or maybe I'm just dumb and I should've checked all that before I started collecting :')
>>
cross the border and take advantage of the low canadian dollar
>>
because it's outdated technology
>>
>>70367351
>it's a fantastic experience and it can't be denied that it tops downloading mp3s by a mile.
well u gotta pay for that fantastic experience
its called supply n demand bb
>>
The only stuff worth collecting on vinyl are albums that were originally issued in that format. aka- classical/soul/funk/big band/swing/jazz

Paying money for vinyl copies of albums that were made in the digital age is honestly really embarrassing
>>
>>70367554
so the vinyl copies of digital age albums are inherently worse quality-wise? could you explain that?
>>
File: 1448937800368.jpg (850KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1448937800368.jpg
850KB, 2560x1600px
Yeah most new stuff is in the $15-$20, with nicely packaged, heavy-weight, high demand releases coming out more than that.

Honestly one of your best bets is to stay away from high profile releases, anniversary represses, and deluxe editions. Check the sale items sections of your record stores. Pick the albums that you really want more carefully. Scour bandcamp for fun releases that are a bit cheaper. And 100% use discogs as much as you can.

The cost of contemporary records comes from a number of places. For one, there aren't that many pressing plants left, and demand for records has seen an unprecedented uptick in recent years without new plants being built. It's also become a luxury good, not the standard way that all consumers must consume music, so the price can be higher. And lastly, it's clear that people who buy records nowadays treat it is a collectors item rather than a way to just listen to music, because there is an increased demand for special editions, limited colors, heavy weights, etc. This is hard for producers and labels to make records, because they have to use more expensive materials, they have to keep running small batches, and they have to market more strategically. These increases in overheads don't come without a cost.
>>
exista undele discuri pe care pur si simplu nu merita sa le ai. trebuie sa iti stabilesti prioritatile. ai putea sa iti cumperi discuri ieftine, vechi, pe care nu le stii, exista si magazine mai ieftine, exista solutii, de obicei discurile cunoscute sunt mai scumpe, si le gasesti cateodata doar in varianta repress, la un pret decent, altfel ar avea o conditie proasta varianta veche la acelasi pret
>>
>>70367554
>wanting a large cover art to display of your favorite albums is embarassing
underage spotted
>>
>>70367589
not him, but no, they're not 'worse' in the sense that you're listening to a lower bit rate or sample rate. They are kinda worse in the sense that they wear over time and don't sound any better than CD's, which are much more durable
>>
>>70367705
Yeah, I agree, you can't just expect that the record collecting process is going to be straightforward and handed to you on a platter. Check out as many record stores as you can, keep an open mind when looking through the racks, and prioritize. If your taste mainly comprises of the same releases everybody else wants, you're going to end up paying more.
>>
>>70367351
Iktf. But a brand new Chevy Impala also used to cost $3000. Times change. When you hear people talking about how they found Heroes for $7, they're probably referring to back in the 90s.

Also... local estate sales are gold
>>
>>70367867
te scot la un suc?
>>
>>70367351
i have a perfect solution for you OP - buy cd's!
>>
>>70367351
>do you have any tips to where to stack on contemporary music vinyl that doesn't breaks the bank?

Haha no you're pretty much fucked. Once vinyl became super hip and popular everything went to shit. The price of new records skyrocketed, the price of old records skyrocketed, the price of vintage equipment went up, etc.

Around 2009 you could:
1. Find a ton of good stuff in your local thrift store for 50 cents to a dollar per record.

2. Spend $20 in a record store's used section and walk out with an armful of stuff from well-known artists.

3. Grab pretty much any new release for $15-$20 (double LP's were $22-25).

4. People would literally give you their old stereo equipment and LP collections for free since nobody wanted it at all.

Now:
1. Goodwills and thriftstores are almost always picked clean because people sweep them for records daily. And they realized they could get more money for them and started charging more.

2. The price of decent used big-name records like Dark Side of the Moon has jumped to $20-$30+ when they're worth like $5, since hipsters will blindly pay that much for them.

3. New release market is pricier, and dominated by reissues that run $35+

4. Vintage stereo equipment costs are rising
>>
File: this makes me hard.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
this makes me hard.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>70368245
This is exactly why I hate the new vinyl trend.

For someone who's been a life long, die-hard, record collector it sucks real bad.
>>
>>70368353
how old are you? if you're 30+, why are you on 4chan?
>>
i got an AP120LP and fortunately found a pioneer stereo system with 5 speakers and large subwoofer for $13 in local goodwill

it's pretty much bin picking and hoping you can find something among old swing, funk and classical records

i wish "new" lp's would've been like 10 to 15 dollars but i don't think it's happening. f
>>
>>70367781

>buy cd's
>rip flacs
>make quality prints of your favorite album arts
>keep the same sound quality forever

You hipsters need to calm the fuck down. You spend big money on obsolete and degradable formats yet call others "underage"?
>>
>>70369284
Dude it's fun
>>
File: RSW_A1_06.jpg (243KB, 530x353px) Image search: [Google]
RSW_A1_06.jpg
243KB, 530x353px
>>70367351
If you live in NYC, I'd highly recommend A1 Records. One of the few record stores I've visited that doesn't overprice the shit out of their records, while at the same time has a really good selection available.
>>
>>70370515
academy is pretty dank too desu
>>
To be honest the prices are not too far off from the golden age.
>>
>>70367351
>that's not classical/soul/funk/big band/swing/jazz
>buying anything but these as records and not CDs
>not buying digital remasters on CD anyway since digital is superior technology
>>
File: turntablelab-nystore.jpg?25899.jpg (359KB, 1013x676px) Image search: [Google]
turntablelab-nystore.jpg?25899.jpg
359KB, 1013x676px
>>70370515
Also, Turntable Lab is literally around the corner from A1, and has a great selection of new releases and equipment.
>>
Go to record shows dude. I picked up a first pressing copy of Sgt Pepper's in perfect condition for 15, 4 tangerine dreams for 3 bucks each and 4 Joni Mitchell albums for 20 bucks all in great condition.

Record stores are great for contemporary music but if it's 80's and older your better off going to record shows.
>>
>>70369284
None of that has anything to do with what anon said, which is buying vinyl records for the cover art, sleeve accessories and the experience of listening to older records in the format they were originally recorded. It's called a hobby, just like how some people would rather buy hard cover books instead of getting an e-reader and read off of a screen. Obviously most people who are interested in vinyl are aware that there are alternative formats for music listening besides mp3 you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>70367351
Why do people act like CDs are more compressed compared to vinyl when all the FLAC rips are from CD?
>>
>>70371122
this
>>
>>70371122

it's not this kind of compression
>>
File: backwards eagle.jpg (112KB, 700x433px) Image search: [Google]
backwards eagle.jpg
112KB, 700x433px
>>70371122

wh...what?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.