[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/modestmouse/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

Modest Mouse general
Favorite/Least favorite album? Favorite/Least favorite song?
>favorite album: LCW
>least favorite album: Strangers to Ourselves
>favorite song: Trucker's Atlas
>least favorite song: Satin in a Coffin
>>
Built to Spill is better
>>
fav album: moon
least fav album: strangers
(currently) fav song: polar opposites
least fav song: pistol
>>
>Favorite Album
The Lonesome Crowded West
>Least Favorite Album
Strangers to Ourselves
>Favorite Song
Doin' the Cockroach
>Least Favorite Song
Jesus Christ Was an Only Child - not because I think it's their worst song, but because it ruins an otherwise perfect album for me.
>>
>>70307135
>favorite album: Building Nothing Out of Something
>least favorite album: Good News for People Who Love Bad News
>favorite song: Broke
>least favorite song: Float On

>>70307212
Disagree but they're the only 90s indie rock band that come close to MM
>>
What was it about modest mouse that made their early stuff so good, and how did they lose it?
>>
>>70307404
I don't know, it's hard to point out but it has to have something to do with the mixture of indie rock, emo, and post-hardcore with some folk influences thrown in. It's just a really original sound. I don't think they ever lost it, if Strangers to Ourselves was released by someone other than Modest Mouse it'd probably be well received. But there certainly was a decline in quality around Good News. I think it's because they tried to cater to both mainstream tastes and their hardcore fans, and they're kind of caught in the awkward space in between.
>>
>>70307404
Meth
>>
Moon and Antarctic is amazing

Listened to it for the first time in years last night and was just floored by how good it still is
>>
>>70307404

well it's not like their recent stuff is terrible, just lost the iconic feel due to overproduction. like the rhythm section for example, all the layered guitar, EQ and effects shit in their music now has ripped the heart and soul out of what was once two thirds of their original sound.

and fuck knows what isaac brock is doing, why did strangers take him 8 years to make?
>>
>>70307404
Isaac Brock was writing songs about how his life was shit and about things he cared about. He was also making music with his friends. After he got the big time record deal his life got better and he had less to get emotionally invested in. New Modest Mouse is a much more polished affair as well, which, combined with the less emotional songwriting makes them much more bland. Listen to Teeth Like Gods Shoeshine and then Float On, or Beach Side Property and then The Good Times Are Killing Me.
>>
>>70307135
>favorite album:
Interstate 8
>least favorite album:
The Fruit That Ate Itself
>favorite song:
The Stars Are Projectors
>least favorite song:
Float On

>>70307536
It's overlooked but one of my favourites easily.
>>
>favorite album:
This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About
>least favorite album:
Sad Sappy Sucker
>favorite song:
Either "Baby Blue Sedan" or "Custom Concern"
>least favorite song:
Probably that "Pistol etc." song off Strangers
>>
Ker_plunk
https://youtu.be/49Gz0Jfp-jI
>>
>>70307404
People grow and change, as does their art. Sometimes it isn't for the better.

The key is to respect Brock's current projects rather than demand he return to form, and just listen to newer bands breaking just as MM did back in the late 90s until you find something with comparable energy and depth.
>>
>>70307544
>less emotional songwriting

I don't know, some of the lyrics on We Were Dead are actually some of his best imo. Parting of the Sensory is genius.
>>
>>70307672
Fucking this and Beach Side Property are probably my favorite of what could be considered the "emo" tracks by them.
>>
>>70307212
false
>>
fuck i forgot how good this band is

i went down a rabbit hole of listening to all kinds of crazy noise and jazz and metal and other wacky shit and so i've been going back through more standard rock that i like

i had never listened to "building nothing from something" this is great
>>
>favorite album: LCW (Building Nothing Out of Something is a real runner up though)
>least favorite album: Sad Sappy Sucker
>favorite song: 3rd Planet
>least favorite song: God Is An Indian And You're An Asshole
When the fuck is their new album coming out? I thought Issac said it was coming "As fast as legally possible"?
I'm hoping it's just taking this long so he can perfect it.
>>
>bump
>>
>>70307616
>>70308210
>Sad Sappy Sucker

unfair to count that really, it's a compilation album

besides half is really good, the other isn't meant to be taken as serious work
>>
>>70308702
Isn't BNOOS also a compilation too? Is there anything from all the singles and ep's that MM did that isn't on Building?
>>
File: mm.jpg (33KB, 470x288px) Image search: [Google]
mm.jpg
33KB, 470x288px
>>70309014
yeah that's a singles compilation though, SSS is a compilation of stuff that was never intended to be released along with all the weird answer machine shit

also any modest mouse fan needs to check these out if they haven't already, tons of amazing rarities. google night on the sun blog for dl links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-9d4VUCSmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9kQKsJHJwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SAui320L8
>>
>>70309293
That site is sick, thanks for the heads up
>>
>>70309486
np, it's mind blowing how many great songs they recorded that were just thrown into the void until this guy compiled them all
>>
>>70309293
the main tracks for sad sappy sucker were all recorded at the same time. it was meant to be an album
>>
>>70307404
Being very good at describing certain feelings that are hard to pinpoint supported by a fantastic and unique rhythm section, guitar playing, vocal delivery and songwriting. Early MM is in my book the best music of all time. Good News is pretty good too though, and The World At Large is one of their best songs and the only "new" MM song that can keep up with their early stuff. Why did they lose it? I honestly have no idea. Probably many different causes.
>>
>>70309781
huh you might be right.

I just remember reading that it was heavily delayed, rewritten, lazily produced so consider it an early years compilation.
>>
>>70309293
>Needle Point

I didn't know Isaac Brock used to be a heroin addict.
>>
Shoutouts to the person on /mu/ back in like 2010 who uploaded This Is A Long Drive without including Tundra/Desert. For years I listened to that album without it so now it feels a little alien whenever I hear the album
>>
>>70309862
I miss skinny Isaac
>>
>>70309862
he basically did whatever he could get his hands on. night on the sun is also about heroin.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.