[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

Has Black Metal as a genre ever been better than it was between the years 1991 and 1993? I know it has survived well beyond the Norwegian scene both geographically and across time throughout the last 25 years, but has the quality, as well as the originality of it progressed AT ALL in that time frame or is it really just beating on a dead horse at this point?
>>
It's expanded in a few different directions so I don't feel you can really gauge quality either way - kvlt tr00 jokes aside it has has a lot of experimentation which has kept it vital
However the golden period is fetishized for a reason - those Darkthrone records in particular really have a feeling all of their own
Many have tried to replicate it, all have failed. it's just one of those times the stars aligned I guess
>>
If you know anything about black metal you'd know that the Norwegian scene wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. As far as black metal progressing? Yes, and it continues to progress. NWN and Iron Bonehead are putting out really decent black metal right now, Satanic Skinhead Propaganda was releasing noise NSBM like Nyogthaeblisz and bands like that + Tetragammacide and Dagger Lust continue to push black metal in the direction of harsh noise.

So no, you're wrong, and I would venture to say that black metal may be the only genre of metal that isn't stagnant at the moment.
>>
>>70287612
>has it progressed at all
yes, massively

blackgaze, ortho black, black/death, prog black, post-black, sympho black, noise black, melo black, and various other sub genres exist, many of which are recent. It's constantly evolving, though I don't really like the current trend of black/death if I'm being honest.
>>
File: bm1994.jpg (60KB, 505x130px) Image search: [Google]
bm1994.jpg
60KB, 505x130px
I'd argue that black metal peaked in 1994, with all the influential Norwegian bands releasing their magnum opuses that would go on to influence black metal forever. Still, I'd say that black metal is growing even today, with interesting records being released yearly.
>>
Has Burzum had a positive impact on Black Metal?
>>
>>70287822
Musically, yes
But Varg's infamy has attracted all the wrong kinds of people to the genre
>>
>>70287822
yes
>>70287849
what do you mean wrong people?
>>
>>70287822
Overall I'd say yes. Burzum has probably inspired the most black metal artists and set a standard for Atmospheric black metal that is yet to be broken. However, killing Euronymous was pretty shitty and destroyed any chances of Mayhem coming close to ever releasing an album as good as DMDS.
>>
>>70287665
What makes you think the Norwegian scene wasn't important in "the grand scheme of things"?

What was more important then? Celtic Frost? Bathory? Tormentor? British new wave?
>>
File: frozenshadows.jpg (43KB, 452x446px) Image search: [Google]
frozenshadows.jpg
43KB, 452x446px
Is this a black metal general discussion thread?

What are you listening to tonight/this morning?

>Frozen Shadows - Dans les Bras des Immortels
>>
>>70288067
Nokturnal Mortum's earlier albums
>>
>>70288067
Revenge. I need stuff even nastier and more unrelenting than this.
>>
File: lunarpoetry.jpg (336KB, 1200x1195px) Image search: [Google]
lunarpoetry.jpg
336KB, 1200x1195px
>>70288285
Good stuff. While Гoлoc cтaлi might get all the praise of Nokturnal Mortum's discography, I still prefer their earlier stuff. Lunar Poetry and Nechrist are my favorites.
>>
File: 2372408.jpg (48KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
2372408.jpg
48KB, 500x440px
>>70288067
I'm listening to some weeb free improv right now. Earlier I was listening to Enslaved's Blodhemn. They're a weird band man, like sometimes they do amazing shit, and other times it's just really fucking disorganized and only ok, but it's never bad. I love them, but I can honestly never know if I'll like an album of theirs until I listen to it.
>>
The quality of black metal has become much better over time however the originality can and always will belong to 1991 and 1993. if you veer away from the themes and stuff which makes the stuff from 1991 and 1993 "original" you end up with something that inst black metal.
>>
>>70287856
You know what he means
>>
File: 8940093-origpic-bd24cc.jpg (118KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8940093-origpic-bd24cc.jpg
118KB, 500x500px
>>70288067
Listening to this, maybe one of my favorite BM record.
>>
>>70287612
>black metal
>good
kek
>>
>>70288413
I mean not really. I think he means overally edgy people who only listen to black metal to rebel against their parents, but I'm not too sure how common that is compared to hipsters who listen to blackgaze and burzum to feel like they have a dark side. It's also always better to ask.
>>
File: 1361913407623.png (1MB, 1260x930px) Image search: [Google]
1361913407623.png
1MB, 1260x930px
>>70288464
simply epin :^)
>>
>>70288577
wew lad
>>
>>70288464
nu male detected.
>>
File: fenrizz.jpg (526KB, 1913x1591px) Image search: [Google]
fenrizz.jpg
526KB, 1913x1591px
>>70287744
>Transilvanian Hunger
>In The Nightside Eclipse
Under A Funeral Moon and Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk are better.
>>
>>70289048
A Blaze in the Northern Sky is better than both.
>>
>>70289062
Under is Darkthrone's magnum opus, but A Blaze is better than Trans.
>>
File: DAggi.png (209KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
DAggi.png
209KB, 500x501px
As Dagon from the mighty Inquisition said, "Black-metal is at is biggest point ever. The most influential time period was arguably the early 90s, but overall the scene is better now, than ever."

Btw, if you ever feel stuck, check out Inquisition. The supreme black metal band, at this moment.
>>
>>70289086
I sincerely hope they'll come with Mayhem in April, I'd love to see them live.
>>
>>70289097
What do you mean? I know for a fact that they will tour the states, beginning the twentieth of this month.
>>
>>70289118
Mayhem is coming to Zagreb in April with a special guest, hopefully it will be Inquisition.
>>
>>70289086
OP here, I'm going to see them on the 23rd of this month with Mayhem. I'm glad they're going on before Mayhem because I don't really care for the whole cover-band-showy-act those old farts are doing now. Mayhem is a dead band to me.
>>
>>70289130
I just want to hear DMDS live with Atilla on vocals. Ideally, they'll sound solid, though I heard Mayhem sucks live.
>>
File: Inqui.jpg (90KB, 1128x628px) Image search: [Google]
Inqui.jpg
90KB, 1128x628px
>>70289128
Oh, I get you. I've been waiting to see them for ages (I live in Norway), but they are yet to come to my city, and I honestly doubt they will.

>>70289130
I can say from personal experience that Mayhem are great live. Much of it comes from Hellhammer, and his drums dominating the sound. You'll be surprised to see how good they are.

Anyways.. what Inquisition album do you guys like the most? I change my opinion on this everyday, but the newest record might be my "favourite" atm.
>>
>>70289175
Their new album is very good, though my favorite is Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
>>
File: 1483659234281.jpg (470KB, 1209x1612px) Image search: [Google]
1483659234281.jpg
470KB, 1209x1612px
>>70289175
Well I own the newest one on vinyl thanks to the wonderful shop I go to in Chicago. I like it a lot, need to listen to it more.

Aside from that I've only listened to Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult which I also intend to get on vinyl someday.
>>
>>70288338

Goat Horns.

Veles Scrolls is like the best symphonic black metal song ever. However I can't find the lyrics anywhere, I've looked for years.
>>
>>70289232
I have a cassette of Goat Horns from Poland, let me check if the lyrics are printed in the booklet.
>>
>>70289074
>>70289062

There are just some questions that are hard to answer. Is A Blaze In the Northern Sky better than Under A Funeral Moon?

Nightmare mode: what's better, Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times or The Shadowthrone?

Some of the hardest album decisions

>>70289250
cheers mate
>>
>>70287612
No.

>>70287822
No.
>>
>>70289281
That's easy, Under and The Shadowthrone are better.
>>
File: beer.jpg (18KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
beer.jpg
18KB, 360x480px
>>70289186
Yeah, nice records, dude, but you ain't got SHIT until you got the official Inquisition beer opener.
>>
>>70289311
Do they sell this at gigs?
>>
>>70289320
No. I pre-ordered the new album, and since I was one of the first 100 customers, they sent it in the package!
>>
>>70289331
That's fucking great, my dude!
>>
>>70289086
That's fucking retarded, black metal is in the worst shape it's ever been in by far. I'm an Inquisition fan, and while they're one of the best active black metal bands, there is simply no comparison between the elite bands now and the elite bands in the golden age. Not to mention to massive influx of shit that is saturating the genre.

I wouldn't say Inquisition is the best active band. Best active bm band would be something like Darkspace, Summoning, or Graveland.

>>70289186
Ominous Doctrines is their best by far

>>70289281
Blaze is better

>>70289311
That's fucking depressing. "Beer metal" is a pejorative term in the metal community for uninteresting, commercialized music.
>>
>>70289363
Under is Darkthrone's best by far, it's also one of the most quintessential bm albums for that cold sound, even though they went even further with Transilvanian Hunger.
>>
>implying Infernal Regions isn't the best inquisition record
lel
>>
>>70289363
You sad, sad man.

Fucking hell, you are dense, you can't even comprehend the simplest of sentences. What I clearly specified was that the scene is now bigger than it ever has been, and it's growing faster than ever. The "golden age" had what most would consider the best bands, and I'm definitely one of them, but the scene it self was no where as big as it is now.

"That's fucking depressing. "Beer metal" is a pejorative term in the metal community for uninteresting, commercialized music."

You fucking idiot. It was just something they put in there for fun and to boost early pre-orders. The only person in the world who would think that's depressing, is people who are depressed.

..and for the record. I fucking despise what you refer to as "beer metal". Bands like Municipal Waste, that only sing about getting wasted and partying. I think it's ridiculous, but shut the fuck up, because you're just sounding like a sad, stupid person.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.