[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Grimes the new Mozart?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 24

File: art angels.jpg (147KB, 723x500px) Image search: [Google]
art angels.jpg
147KB, 723x500px
>>
How can there be a new Mozart if Mozart is still alive?
>>
>>70275514
yeah she's on her trump shit right now. very impressive
>>
File: HERBIE.png (157KB, 427x639px) Image search: [Google]
HERBIE.png
157KB, 427x639px
No....

Someone else is...
>>
>>70275514
>>70275544
>>70275551
>>70275568
FPTMIU
>>
get the digital version.
>>
File: LeraAuerbach.jpg (17KB, 216x216px) Image search: [Google]
LeraAuerbach.jpg
17KB, 216x216px
>>70275514
Grimes is not a composer. You have to be a composer to write classical, and even come close to Mozart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
Read through this and ask yourself if grimes writes this kind of music. Protip: she doesn't

This is as close as it gets to new Mozart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngY4Bc3hTKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLRwg9-Cqw

>actual composer
>child prodigy
>plays piano at virtuoso professional level
>composer-performer
>mix of old and new styles
>pushing the envelope musically, both in form and instruments used (theremin for example)
>>
File: ReasonsToLive.png (3MB, 1352x1864px) Image search: [Google]
ReasonsToLive.png
3MB, 1352x1864px
>>70275618
FPTHIU
>>
>>70275514
YES. She's on par with the good old Mozart.
>>
File: suf.png (462KB, 942x942px) Image search: [Google]
suf.png
462KB, 942x942px
>>70275568
>>70275758
Stop
>>
>>70275743
>Grimes is not a composer.
>You have to be a composer to write classical,
BULLSHIT.
A composer creates / writes music. Grimes does that. Period.
>>
probably the most retarded thread in a while
>>
>>70273588
>Talking about actual popularity and what is considered art or not is meaningless. Everything is popular to someone, and all music is technically art. They are meaningless terms when discussing the difference between art music and popular music.
Lol now you're agreeing with me.

>"art music" and "popular music" are specific labels
EXACTLY. Music is something that is perceived and understood with one's ears, not words written on a page. Using words to describe music is like dancing in order to describe architecture - better than nothing, but deeply inferior to the comprehension you get from actually looking at a building or listening to music.
>>
File: NoStupidHatsHere.jpg (20KB, 400x400px)
NoStupidHatsHere.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>70276063
Shut up, stupid hat. You're just jealous.
>>
Well Mozart liked shit and judging by her music she does too so maybe.
>>
File: MI0001397622.jpg (59KB, 264x266px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001397622.jpg
59KB, 264x266px
chumbawumba > grimes
>>
>>70275514
i really, really wanna take this bait
>>
can we please just send all grimesfags to the sun?
>>
>>70276069
If you knew any composers, you would know this is not the case.

Yes, technically anyone who writes music could be considered a "composer of music", but they are not a "composer"

Actual composers work with scores and live performers, and are capable of studying the scores of the masters of the last 500 years. They are almost always formally trained (Mussorgsky being one of the few exceptions - even he had composition lessons from proper composers)

Writing music does not make you a composer. "Composer" has very specific connotations, which grimes does not fulfil at all:
>not formally trained
>does not primarily work with scores
>does not get other people to perform her music from scores
>does not write for the concert hall
>her music does not invite detailed analysis and deconstruction
>her music does not emphasize form, nor is is written in the classical style.

Composers write classical /art music on written scores. Grimes does not write art music, and does not work with written scores.

>>70276100
>now you're agreeing with me.
You're retarded, no need to backtrack.
>>
>>70273721
>A composer is someone who works with scores, attends composition workshops, has pieces performed by live musicians (most often not the composer themselves, although performer-composers do exist), and has studied the traditions of classical music.
Speaking as a professional musician and composer who has successfully undertaken every one of these things numerous times, you are only half right. Composers are people who make music that gets played by others (either by way of physical scores and instruments or use of audio reproduction equipment and recordings.) That's it
>>
>>70276332
but what about muh feelings
>>
>>70276332
holy shit the autism
>>
>>70276429
>that
>autism
You should've seen the autistic ramblings of the grimesfag on the other thread.
>>
>>70273976
>grimes is neither accessible nor experimental though.
Facts prove you wrong.
>>
>>70276429
>get BTFO
>favorite artist isn't a composer
>autism
feel free to sling insults, wont make you any less wrong.

>>70276472
notice how your post doesn't include any facts.

Stockhausen was doing actual experimental electronic music in the lat 50s, with far inferior equipment. Nothing grimes has done is experimental.
>>
>>70274018
>artists like Russiolo, Stockhausen or Penderecki also experimented with timbres (hell, you could even go way back to the French impressionists like Ravel or Debussy to find some degree of timbral experimentation although not that outrageous), only they did that almost a hundred years earlier
Exactly - what she (and and a select few others as well imo) are doing with contemporary popular music of today is directly relates to what the greatest musical minds of the past were doing hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>70276579
how will they recover?
>>
>>70274097
>Considering the declining importance of universities, contemporary erudite music composers might very well become historical curiosities.
Absolutely. The future of classical music isn't in the realm of people who make neo-classical music. It lies with people who make artful pop music. People like Grimes.
>>
>>70276665
>Exactly - what she (and and a select few others as well imo) are doing with contemporary popular music of today is directly relates to what the greatest musical minds of the past were doing hundreds of years ago.
So what? You don't expect us to be impressed at someone doing what other people were already doing decades earlier? The only difference between she and all the rest that paved the way was that she has more resources to experiment compared to that time, which gives her even less credit.

She's not a genius, she's just... okay, she just makes catchy songs with simple beats with some layered simple melodies added and that's it, she's not making anything outrageous, I don't even know why people tag her with "experimental".
>>
>>70276306
to the sun and back
>>
>>70274285
>Academic universities didn't meme Beethoven and Bach to fame because they happened to be popular at that era, they did that because their work was revolutionary,
...revolutionary because it revolutionized the musical movements that were popular among music listeners during THEIR lifetimes (to cite your examples: use of harmony & counterpoint, the piano sonata genre, and orchestral symphonic writing.) The Bachs and Beethovens of today are going to be those people who manage to revolutionize the musical movements that are popular TODAY (eg. things like rap, rock, or electronics-based music like EDM or synthpop.)
>>
>>70276332
That's autistic. A composer writes music.

>Grimes does not write art music
What is even art music? Music as a whole is an ART. That's very artistic IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
>>
>>70276579
>Nothing grimes has done is experimental.
That's completely bullshit and it proves that you didn't even listen to her music.

Listen to her songs Favriel, Hallways, Venus in Fleus, Omega, Dream Fortress, Eight, Colour of Moonlight, Scream, Caladan, Shadout Mapes, Rasik, River, Circumambient, Hedra, etc. Those are experimental.
>>
Can't believe you're feeding
>>
>>70277429
>feeding
Grimesfags are this delusional.
>>
>>70277285
>A composer writes music.
technically yes, the same way anyone who has ever done a scribble is an artist.

A "composer" is a specific label for someone who works with scores and writes classical music for the concert hall.

>What is even art music?
art music literally means "classical".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
>>
>>70274853
>studying music for 10 years

>writing music for 15 years

Anon, if your composition skills are anything like your counting skills, then it is no wonder why you don't get the genius of popular music in general (particularly that created by Grimes.)
>>
>>70275514

Yes. They're both terrible.
>>
>>70277274
Since the 20th century there hasn't been a single composer that revolutionised music the same way Bach and Beethoven did.
They didn't just "revolutionized the musical movements that were popular among music listeners during THEIR lifetimes" (I literally said in that post that most of the composers studied today weren't even that popular on their era), the influence they had has indirectly affected every piece of music after them.
Simply put, if they hadn't existed, all genres of music known today would probably be different.
All of this is moot anyway, because Grimes isn't even revolutionizing any genre of music.
>>
>>70275613
>lolno. She's partially known on /mu/. Thats about it.
Lolyes. I only discovered /mu because I was looking for interesting places to discuss Grimes.
>>
>>70277495
>art music literally means "classical".
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
That's bullshit. Music is already an art form. Only elitists tried to segregate it into music they like ("art music") and music they think it sucks ("popular music"). This is subjective crap with NO value.

>A "composer" is a specific label for someone who works with scores and writes classical music for the concert hall.
Again: a composer writes music. I'm not judging the quality of his/her compositions here (classical or some other shit), that's subjective anyway.
>>
>>70277626
>lolno. She's partially known on /mu/. Thats about it.
That anon is completely delusional. He should get his ass out of mu for a change and read the music press and other music forums.
>>
>>70275613
>billions of flies eat shit, but that doesn't make it good.
It does if you're a fly. That's why they eat - because it's good FOR THEM.

>Results dont mean anything. If results were the only thing that counted, justin beiber and taylor swift would be the highest quality music ever made.
Results over the long-term, anon. That's what great (aka classical) music is all about. Music whose popularity manages to far outlast the life of its composer.
>>
>>70277644
>That's bullshit. Music is already an art form. Only elitists tried to segregate it into music they like ("art music") and music they think it sucks ("popular music"). This is subjective crap with NO value.
You fucking retard the definition is right here.
>primarily refers to classical traditions (including contemporary as well as historical classical music forms) that focus on formal styles, invite technical and detailed deconstruction and criticism,
The key part is the later section about technical and detailed deconstruction, most popular music can be desconstructed by actively listening to it because it's structurally, harmonically and melodically simple and most of them have inexistent thematic development, this is why this schism is made, because there's a set of music that is clearly worthy of intellectual study and another set of music that is only good for shallow listening.
Why the fuck are you even arguing about music if you didn't even know what Art music was?
>>
>>70275985
>What do you think counterpuntal vocal writing means?
What it obviously means - that I have crappy auto-correct.
>>
File: grimes_10-1200-80.jpg (591KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
grimes_10-1200-80.jpg
591KB, 1200x675px
>>70277612
>All of this is moot anyway, because Grimes isn't even revolutionizing any genre of music.
She's revolutionizing synthpop and dreampop with her influences from many other genres. She's also revolutionizing the way of making music. She opened a door for other female artists to become complete artists by doing everything on their own, from singing and production to artwork and music videos.

>Aside from being one of the most monumental "post-Internet" releases in any genre, Visions is the sound of a young web-addled person who continued believing in herself long enough to become free. “Modern” is the only word for it, an intensely nuanced master-work of pop collage, pegging down bubblegum synth-pop and 90s R&B and K-pop and metallic IDM with Boucher's distinctive falsetto. The Internet can be a kind of prison—with its subliminal trappings of tabs and streams and data-mining likes and tweets—but Grimes' ability to morph the endless nature of web culture into something that is pointed and pleasurable gives me hope.

>Alex: Obviously, Grimes. I think Grimes influenced many musicians and performers into thinking everything is what you make of it. If you don’t want electronic-based music to be a boy’s club, then participate and do whatever it takes. Through her production, I learned that technology is not a demon, it is my friend, and that it is a friend I have every right to engage in as much as “the next guy.” I also learned that genres and labels are bullshit in the post-internet world. I could go on forever, but I won’t. This is a great track from one of my favorite albums of all time.
>>
>>70277644
>Music is already an art form.
no shit. "art music" is simply a label. Use the term "classical" if you're more comfortable with it.

Only problem with the "classical" label is that the classical period is 1750 - ~1820, so not all art music is from the classical period.

>>70277761
My bet is grimes will be forgotten in 100 years. Long forgotten. She's hardly known as it is, and writes no scores to generate future performances from. Once no one can play .mp3s or CDs, her music will be dead, unplayable.

Meanwhile Bach will still be played every day, even in 300 years.
>>
Can anyone summarize what happened last thread? I skimmed it for about a minute but was too lazy to read everything.
>>
>>70277776
I'm wasting my time with a stupid fuck like you. Art music is just a stupid and moronic construct. You're eating too much crap with your art crap.

Music = organized sounds = art. Period.
>>
>>70277987
some pleb claimed grimes was worthwhile and got BTFO
>>
>>70277987
Basically
>>70277937
>>70277988
going on with his bullshit, getting told by people that know what they're talking about, and then going over and over again.
>>
I'm sick of Art Angels. I want her to come out with new music
>>
>>70277988
all music is technically art, the same way a signed urinal is art. the word "art" is somewhat meaningless these days.

"art music" is just a label. dont take it too personally. use "classical" if you prefer. Its just music written by trained composers on written scores, for the concert hall.

All music is art, but only classical is "art music"
>>
>>70277357
>t. 15 years old
>>
>>70277944
>My bet is grimes will be forgotten in 100 years. Long forgotten.
Who gives a damn? You and I will be dead already.

>Meanwhile Bach will still be played every day, even in 300 years.
Again, who cares? It will be played mostly by a select few anyway. You'll not find his music in the charts too soon. The common people don't care about classical music.

You're confusing the long lasting appeal with the quality of the music.
>>
>>70278066
Art is a subjective thing, idiot. What is crap to you it may be art to someone else. Stop trying to apply objective criteria to a highly subjective thing like music.
>>
>>70278068
Weak comeback. Not impressed.
>>
>>70278110
thats what I said. "art" is meaningless.

Meanwhile "art music" is a specific label for classical music

>>70278079
I thought we were discussing longevity. If you dont care about longevity, dont bring it up.
>>
>>70277937
Literally every album with a BNM label on pitchfork has a review like that written about it.
Music critics are absolutely worthless, especially pop ones, notice how they focus on extra-musical garbage like feminism and meta-commentary on the electronic scene and for the "music criticism" they just drop some genres as if that meant anything.
>>
>>70278068
Someone claiming Grimes is experimental isn't worth responding to. Just laugh at them and move on.
>>
>>70278066
>for the concert hall
Just gonna nitpick you on this one. Concert halls didn't really pick up steam until about midway through the 18th century and wasn't really standardized as an essential part of musical culture until like the 19th century. Much of performances before then were in private homes, courts with the only audience member is the prince, dance halls, outdoors, etc.
>>
Y'know what clearly this thread needs a LIIIITLE bit more H.H.
Herbie and Hancock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PlEXhRxWQ
>>
>>70278141
>Meanwhile "art music" is a specific label for classical music
That's a fake construct. All music is already art (even maligned music like Bieber). It's like calling classical, art art.
>>
>>70278205
>being this dense
>>
>>70278205
its just a label, dont look too hard into it.

"classical" isn't correct either, as not all art music is from 1750 - ~1820

>>70278181
This is a modern definition of art music, and thats only one facet. It could be performed in churches, outdoors, anywhere really.
Concert hall is just the most common place its performed in a modern context.
Before 1750 it was in performed in churches and private rooms of the wealthy.
>>
>>70278205
>That's a fake construct
all labels and words are, you just have to live with it.
>>
>>70278205
No one cares what you think of the term "art music" honestly. Everyone knows it's a flawed term but as >>70277944 said "classical music" has it's flaws as well. Grimes is not classical music, or art music, or whatever you want to call it. Complaining about the implications behind terms is pretty irrelevant.
>>
>>70278164
That's exactly what a stupid ostrich would do, being afraid to have its opinions shattered by evidence. Some of her music is experimental. Samples if you're too lazy to de a bit of research:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_hBNQqEus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiUt6Ad3LHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFrJ-FM2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkYRUYnr5bA
>>
>>70278316
this garbage is as "experimental" as the beatles or david bowie
>>
>>70278148
You could criticize anything written about music anyway. I'm using my brain when listening to music in the first place, and to me her music is revolutionary. I never heard something like this before and believe me, I listened to a ton of music.
>>
>>70278355
>didn't listen to it
>called it garbage
You didn't even try. You're pathetic, your opinions are frankly worthless. I'm afraid you're just a troll. At least be a man and admit it.
>>
>>70278355
Nowadays experimental is just a label.
Since most critics don't really have enough music knowledge to discern whether something is truly experimental, they just tag all that sounds "weird" as avant-garde.
>>
Has shitposting gone too far?
>>
>>70278420
>I never heard something like this before
me too, absolutely
i never heard music this bad
>>
>>70278450
>they just tag all that sounds "weird" as avant-garde.
And that's actually avant-garde. They're not wrong. All labels are kinda subjective. An experimental piece may sound too pop to a fan of experimental music compared to a pop fan. Weirdness is in the brain of the beholder.
>>
>>70278316
lots of delay does not make you experimental. This might be experimental in 1950, but its 2016. This kind of music is no longer experimental.

This is what experimental electronic music sounded like in the late 50s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4
Grimes doesn't even come close to this level, and is using much more user-friendly tools.
>>
File: 1480718309145.png (622KB, 552x701px)
1480718309145.png
622KB, 552x701px
>>70278482
You're trying too hard to be obnoxious.
>>
I'd like to rumble her pak if you catch my drift
>>
>>70276259
This
>>
>>70278564
>An experimental piece may sound too pop to a fan of experimental music compared to a pop fan. Weirdness is in the brain of the beholder.
accessible != experimental
experimental is an absolute term
>>
>>70278587
said the waifufag
>>
>>70278579
Experimental is a highly subjective term. See here >>70278564

Anyway, there are various degrees of experimental. It doesn't mean her music isn't experimental just because some dude did some unlistenable crap in the 50s. Let's be real.

To claim that experimental elements are just "lots of delay" is plain ridiculous. Did you even listen to those songs?
>>
>>70278616
>experimental is an absolute term
It's not. How could you measure it OBJECTIVELY?
>>
>>70278587
>hideous
>shit music
I could understand the waifuism if she was hot, but what is the attraction here? Do you just like shit music by uggos?
>>
>>70278639
>projecting
>>
>>70278648
please explain for what is experimental about each one of these songs
also, calling stockhausen "unlistenable crap" isn't helping your credibility very much
>>
why would u compare Mozart to Grimes?
not even close, my holmes
the answer is a resounding "no"
Mozart was his own person.
Grimes cannot live up to such a legendary individual. Other musical geniuses stand alone as well.
Ms. Boucher will never approximate such talent.
>>
>>70278648
To claim that experimental elements are just "lots of delay" is plain ridiculous
Exactly why you should stop claiming grimes is experimental. She is not. She doesn't even know the basics of music, let alone how to experiment with them.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>70278693
>y-you don't understand! she is a genius!
>>
O Superman by Laurie Anderson is widely considered one of the best experimental pop songs ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkfpi2H8tOE

If some looping electropop with weird vocals it's considered experimental, so it's Grimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
>>
>>70278648
>can't into Stockhausen
>thinks grimes is experimental
ah you're just ignorant, got it. Dont bother replying.
>>
>>70278738
>She is not.
Because you want that?

>She doesn't even know the basics of music, let alone how to experiment with them.
>implying the experimental artists follow the music's rules and play by rules
They're called experimental for a reason.
>>
>>70278564
No, you're absolutely incorrect.
Experimental is doing something new, atonality/dissonance was already extensively exploited by contemporary Art music by people like Rautavaara and Schonberg, and weird formal structures have been explored since much earlier.
Experimental is, by definition, trying something new, dissonance, atonality, multi-layered instrumentation, sampling/looping, and electronic music are nothing remotely new.
>>
grimes is bad music
Mozart is quite the opposite
timeless quality
>>
>>70278809
>can't into Stockhausen
>implying that I should
>implying that you're supposed to like all artists

Here's my turn:
>can't into Grimes
ah you're just ignorant, got it. Dont bother replying.
>>
>>70278846
How could you measure the experimental music objectively? What are your exact criteria to decide this is experimental and this is not?
>>
>>70278881
>timeless quality
That dude has centuries to prove his worth. Grimes isn't in that position. Your opinion = trash.
>>
>>70278944
innovation
>>
>>70278839
see >>70278846

You need to know what has already been done to do something new. Grimes doesn't even have basic music theory knowledge, let alone knowledge of extended instrumental techniques, 20th century theory, post-atonality, etc.

I think you'll find composers are the ones who do the experimental stuff. Popular musicians tend to just try to make money, making easy to digest music for the masses. Grimes makes music videos and plays concerts. Meanwhile composers like Ferneyhough, Murail, Lera Auerbach and Lachenmann are doing the actual experimentation.

Notice how Ferneyhough pieces are not accessible in the slightest, and you will find them completely unlistenable. Yep thats experimental, its going beyond what you expect or are familiar with.
>>
>>70278966
*had
>>
>>70278971
How? Be exact.
>>
>>70278905
>implying that I should
If you want a grounding in experimental music, he's a good place to start.

I think you're scared to become acquainted with actual experimental music because without the label "experimental" grimes will be nothing for you. And once you realize what actual experimental music is, you will realize Grimes is nowhere near experimental.
>>
>>70278966
stay mad, hombre
Grimes will be forgotten
just like all delusional grimesfag shitposts
page 10 incoming
>>
>>70278944
When something is new it's experimental.
Out of all the tags and labels in music, "experimental" is probably the most objective one, it just happens that you need actual musical knowledge (both theoretical and historical) to properly use it.
Otherwise what happens is a bastardization, music critics with limited knowledge in both applying it to anything that sounds weird to them, as if it was the same as rock or rap.
>>
Post three (3) Grimes songs and explain for each one what exactly is genius-tier experimental about them.
Protip: you can't
>>
>>70278986
>You need to know what has already been done to do something new. Grimes doesn't even have basic music theory knowledge, let alone knowledge of extended instrumental techniques, 20th century theory, post-atonality, etc.
Grimes listened to a lot of music from various genres, genres that didn't even exist when people like Mozart were alive. She knows much more than Mozart about music in general because she had access to all that music that has been made since then plus the new technologies that allow manipulations of sounds never heard even few decades ago. Maybe she doesn't know too much theory but she knows how to combine sounds for the best impact. She's thinking in terms of sounds and textures rather than notes.

All in all, music is about feelings, and her music has plenty of that.
>>
File: GRIMETH.jpg (307KB, 882x960px) Image search: [Google]
GRIMETH.jpg
307KB, 882x960px
>>70279142
grimesfags BTFO
>>
>>70279070
You're delusional. All artists will be forgotten at some point. No one will give a fuck about Mozart in the year 584896875. This planet is older than you think.
>page 10 incoming
Bump limit incoming. FIFY.
>>
>>70279181
you sound like an eighth grader
>>
>>70279220
I didn't even knew women had facial hair until this image.
>>
>>70279220
they will just ignore the question
>>
>>70279181
Listening alone does not give you knowledge of music theory. You have to actually learn it, and study the scores of the masters to see what makes them tick.

If anything the new technology has made her lazy, she can just twiddle some knobs and hit record. Back in the early days of electronic music, guys like Stockhausen had to score out their pieces first, then make the sounds from modular synths, record them on to tape, and edit the whole thing together. Even then they made music more interesting and experimental music than grimes ever has. They didn't rely on delay and reverb to cover their shit ideas.

The main feelings I get from grimes' music is disgust and boredom. She is not a talented songwriter.
>>
>>70279142
>>70278316
I'm not gonna waste my time explaining to stubborn anons that aren't even willing to listen to her music before making ridiculous statements about it.
>>
>>70279442
i listened to all those songs and i din't find anything experimental, can you please point it out?
looks like you can't
>>
>>70279442
everyone is laughing at you, crybaby
Why do you think grimesfags are bullied?
>>
why would a thread with this subject last so long? oh because its grimes related.

saged, reported, and hidden.
>>
>>70279666

Satanic trips of MAD.

i check em.
>>
>>70279245
>said the actual eighth grader
>>
>>70279766
great post
>>
>>70279844
not an argument
>>
>>70279306
>You have to actually learn it, and study the scores of the masters to see what makes them tick.
Learning theory doesn't make you a talented composer, you're just learning how to deal with the formal aspects of the music. These days you could make great music without knowing music theory. The results matter: the actual music.

>If anything the new technology has made her lazy, she can just twiddle some knobs and hit record. Back in the early days of electronic music, guys like Stockhausen had to score out their pieces first, then make the sounds from modular synths, record them on to tape, and edit the whole thing together. Even then they made music more interesting and experimental music than grimes ever has. They didn't rely on delay and reverb to cover their shit ideas.
>implying that if something is easier to make, it's automatically worse
You could say that 2 centuries ago people didn't even have modular synths, tapes, etc. 22 centuries ago they didn't even have paper. So?

Even if Stockhausen wasted so much effort, he did some shitty and unlistenable crap that no sane person could enjoy it. At least composers like Bach, Mozart and Grimes did genuinely likeable music.

>The main feelings I get from grimes' music is disgust and boredom. She is not a talented songwriter.
Terrible opinion. Your comments also inspire disgust and boredom.
>>
>>70279666
>complains about a thread he doesn't like while breaking the rules:

7. Submitting false or misclassified reports, or otherwise abusing the reporting system may result in a ban. Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.
>>
>>70279936
>Even if Stockhausen wasted so much effort, he did some shitty and unlistenable crap that no sane person could enjoy it.
please stop
>>
>>70279142
you still haven't answered this
>>
>>70280044
grimesfag already ran back 2 their hugbox blog site
>>
>>70280044
>>70280097

no im eating, i've been a memeing nu-male slut and im hungry.
>>
>>70280121
eating cock?
>>
>>70280194

close. walnut shrimp and chow mein from panda express.
>>
>>70279936
>Learning theory doesn't make you a talented composer,
it makes you a composer. Talent and knowledge are separate entities. Knowledge allows your natural talent more options, and informs you as to what has been done before.

>shitty and unlistenable crap
see, its so experimental that even 60 years later people struggle with it. Thats truly experimental. Grimes isn't experimental today, and in 60 years she wont even be mentioned.

Feel free to stop replying if the truth disgusts and bores you. Go listen to some grimes and stop trying to comprehend all that she isn't.
>>
>>70280206
walnut shrimp is wot ur mum calls my benis
>>
>>70275514

No, but she is the best female pop artist since Madonna.
>>
>>70280771

nice.
>>
>>70280718
>pretending to enjoy that Stockhausen drivel
You were memed, pal.

>see, its so experimental that even 60 years later people struggle with it.
>implying music is a competition

>Go listen to some grimes and stop trying to comprehend all that she isn't.
I'm going to listen to her music. It's enjoyable, unlike that crap that you're passing as music. Her music isn't purely experimental but halfway between pop and experimental. That's the best music.
>>
File: Claude Debussy Quote 3.jpg (84KB, 594x415px) Image search: [Google]
Claude Debussy Quote 3.jpg
84KB, 594x415px
daily reminder
>>
File: Claude Debussy Quote.jpg (70KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
Claude Debussy Quote.jpg
70KB, 600x412px
>>
>>70275514
officially the worst bait ive ever seen
>>
>>70281029
>this whole post
Stop flaunting your ignorance. Grimes is nothing remotely close to experimental, and plenty of people enjoy Stockhausen.
Wether she knows it or not, Grimes music is hugely indebted to Stockhausen.
>>
>>70281201
>>70281234
>a French degenerate making low-brow music spouting relativistic garbage
Colour me surprised.
>>
>>70281029
>pretending
I legitimately enjoy Stockhausen, even this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

We're discussing what music is experimental. Stockhausen is experimental, as is evidenced by your lack of comprehension even 60 years later. Grimes is not experimental, as evidenced by being easy to market with music videos.

Usually its the most experimental music that is the least enjoyable to the common person. You enjoy grimes because you like easy listening. Stockhausen requires much more to comprehend.

>That's the best music.
in your shitty opinion. in my opinion the best music is written by people who actually know what they're doing - ie. trained composers.
>>
>>70275743
This.

Lera Auerbach is 100 times closer to Mozart than Grimes. Grimes doesn't even register in the "close to Mozart" scale. Literally every composer alive is closer to Mozart than grimes is.

Grimes couldn't write a string quartet to save her life, let alone a piano concerto, symphony or mass. She is not a composer, just a mediocre popular music artist.
>>
>>70281344
As I said, she's not purely experimental. Why it's so hard to understand? Experimental isn't a black or white thing, it's more like grey.
>>
>>70281999
>Grimes couldn't write a string quartet to save her life, let alone a piano concerto, symphony or mass.
She could, if she learned about it because she has the talent. Grimes even did a few classical style pieces. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1sltKNHBdc

>She is not a composer, just a mediocre popular music artist.
Just your irrelevant opinion.

>Lera Auerbach is 100 times closer to Mozart than Grimes.
Just because Lera Auerbach made classical music it doesn't mean she's closer to Mozart. It's about melodies, structures, etc and Grimes has all of them at a high level, just like Mozart. Just pay attention to her music.
>>
>>70282518
>Experimental isn't a black or white thing, it's more like grey.
It literally is.
If she's not doing absolutely nothing new, why the fuck would she be called experimental? Experimental music isn't only defined by its "weirdness" (not like Grimes would be weird to someone that actually listened to music).
>>
This anon >>70282654
Sorry, ignore that shitty fan video, it doesn't even have the whole piece. Listen to it here: https://clyp.it/ek4wjo1r

She played everything in this piece.
>>
>>70282727
She's half experimental, half pop. That doesn't mean shen't not experimental at all. Get it?
>>
File: Dean Blunt.jpg (62KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Dean Blunt.jpg
62KB, 640x427px
>>70275514
no
>>
>>70278798
>released in 1981
>>
>>70282727
>It literally is.
The golden mean, anon. Music absolutely can be appreciated as being both experimental and - for lack of a better term - comfortable if it is well-written. Mozart knew it, and Grimes knows it too. I'm sure some others in this day and age must know as well, but it's honestly hard to find people who have the courage to think like that in public.
>>
>>70275514
bump
>>
>>70278798
don't ever compare her to Laurie Anderson again
>>
>>70281368
>you calling anyone degenerate
>>
>>70275514
No, but she is better
>>
i've hung on for a very long time
>>
>>70275514
"Grimes", or Claire is simply a vessel for the pure gift of love and music that she carries in herself.

If French is the language of Love undisputed, then Grimes is living and undiscovered French royalty, her lineage traced back to French Dukes and Duchesses who perfected the art of courtship and romance in the highest arena before the King and Queen. Grimes is perhaps a direct and secret heir of French Queens and Antonio Vivaldi, such is her gift of music and the love expressed in her compositions.

To be in the direct presence of Grimes is to be uplifted and to know real joy. Her friends know this truth deep in their hearts, and they follow her footsteps in rhythm to the beating of their hearts.

Watch out world, Grimes is out to amaze us all. Also I wonder what her pussy tastes like.
>>
File: grimes.jpg (136KB, 650x647px) Image search: [Google]
grimes.jpg
136KB, 650x647px
hii guYS! i'M M0Z4rT ( <3 ) xdxdLMAO ahahahaha!!!
>>
>>70287555
I did and I will. Stop me if you can.
>>
>go away from /mu/ for like two years
>you all still talk about Grimes

Was Art Angels not crap or is she just the new ITAOTS?
>>
>>70275743
>>70276332
>>70276579
I see you fell for the "I pretend to know more about music than anonymous persons on a Chinese cartoon image board" meme
>>
Where is my man Grimes Cuck when they most needed
>>
>>70278798
i use this song for my tinder account. you can probably put the rest together
>>
>>70289441
he's probably you
>>
>>70289523
Fuck
Who knows
>>
>>70289536
EVERYBODY YEAH-EAH
>>
>>70289536
you know anon
>>
>>70276259
>>70278609
Samefag
>>
File: griimes underrated.png (331KB, 600x345px) Image search: [Google]
griimes underrated.png
331KB, 600x345px
>>
Anyone else here find Grimes annoying?
>>
File: ,.png (6KB, 670x82px) Image search: [Google]
,.png
6KB, 670x82px
>>
>>70291355
Damn, who drew this? Is this the next Picasso??
>>
>>70291476
because he painted fuckfaces
>>
File: 14789787761690.jpg (102KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
14789787761690.jpg
102KB, 750x750px
>>70291374
no, she warms our existence and makes people happy
>>
>>70291605
i think i get it now
>>
>>70288394
>mad idiot because his favorite artist FKA Twigs is a mere dull version of Grimes
Stay mad, dipshit
>>
>>70289373
AA was and is actually great. Some people like it, some hate it, some don't even care, just like with every album.
>>
>>70292469

AA is good. Listen to the digital version on Google play and ITunes, CD version and Amazon mp3 version is compressed low quality.

Look up "clapham junction " on YouTube and listen to his upload of AA
>>
what's mozart ?
>>
>>70292506

It's a type of cheese
>>
check these dubs ;)
>>
>>70275514
To be honest that thing on the cover makes me physically ill. Something about it is off putting.
>>
File: 1476910057792.gif (442KB, 695x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476910057792.gif
442KB, 695x900px
>>70292950
That was the idea. Great art is uncomfortable.

< see this gif
>>
GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT GRIMES IS SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Osnhowfzjo
>>
>>70293271
lol that song's so uninteresting and flat like ugh

this is what happens when you let talentless hacks make music.
>>
>>70293271
Wow, you're a real autist.
>>
>>70275514
grimes wrote Genesis in F#maj just so she can get away with mashing black keys while pretending its music
>>
>>70294190
Oops meant to quote this
>>70278316
>>
File: '.jpg (56KB, 786x590px) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
56KB, 786x590px
>>70278772
Bjork is attractive tho
>>
File: 14841948840311.jpg (172KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
14841948840311.jpg
172KB, 1080x1349px
What you guys think?
>>
File: Claire-Boucher-Feet-2584712.jpg (258KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
Claire-Boucher-Feet-2584712.jpg
258KB, 640x800px
>wikifeet is so fast...
>>
>>70296543
MOMMY
>>
>>70275568
Chick Corea > Hancock
>>
>tfw most Grimesfags are not even underage
It's embarassing.
>>
>>70292950
>>70293112
>>
>>70293112
>>70299571
Back to tumblr.
>>
>>70299604
Lol Cesar Cruz was pre-Tumblr dude[ette].
>>
>>70276332
muh arbitrary distinctions
>>
>>70299746
muh nothing matters everything is subjective
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.