[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people here hate metal to the extent that they do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 15

File: metal-999958_960_720.jpg (29KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
metal-999958_960_720.jpg
29KB, 960x720px
Why do so many people here hate metal to the extent that they do
>>
because they're clueless and simply can't get out of their little comfort zone
>>
Memes
>>
>>70267811
bc it's bad
>>
>>70267843
Good reasoning, you sure showed us
>>
idk what you're on about the /metal/ general is one of the most active and popular threads here at all times

even if it mostly shitty meming but they still talk about music
>>
>>70267873
/metal/ is such a cesspool of nonsense and bullshit that I like to pretend it doesn't exist.
>>
>>70267873
the metal general is unequivocally garbage and more than half the posters are fresh off the /b/oat shitters for the unfortunate fact that metal subculture attracts lowest common denominator ilk
>>
Cause they like c-rap.
>>
File: 1416868946579.png (330KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1416868946579.png
330KB, 330x319px
>>70267881
>>70267920
i bet you listen to hipster garbage and yet still think you're above the average /b/tard
>>
>>70267811
Requires a trained ear to be able to process the distorted tones. Most people who don't like it have minimal experience with music.

>>70267840
literally said this before i clicked

>>70267920
>generals attract the lowest common denominator

i like metal but i don't touch the general because last time i went in there was just nonsensical shitposting with -core crap being spammed everywhere
>>
>>70268006
i'm more than confident i have better taste than you and the majority of the general in the respective metal genres i listen to
>>
>>70267811
Cause the fans are autistic retards who need to constantly prove how much more metal they are than the next guy cause they don't listen to THAT shitty, poser band, they listen to THIS trve band that's obviously far more patrician.
t. metal guitarist
>>
File: 24.jpg (203KB, 1492x1640px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
203KB, 1492x1640px
>>70268026
>yeah i'm pretty much a metal connoisseur
>boris, acid bath, electric wizard, deafheaven, vektor, sunn o))), the list could go on
>>
>>70268020
>le all -core is bad meme
You're proving my point >>70268041
>>
>>70267811
Because they can't comprehend that just because they can't see the appeal, doesn't mean that it's shit.
>>
>>70268041
So what? Every fanbase has it's elitisim.
>>
>>70268150
Metal elitists are about a hundred times more arrogant and irritating than elitists of other genre's.
>>
>>70267811
They haven't discovered djent yet
>>
>>70268169
It keeps posers away.
>>
>>70268214
Define "poser" for me.
>>
>>70268222
metal equivalent of a pleb
i.e. someone that listens to:
1. hipster garbage
2. entry-level garbage
3. exclusively essentials (entry-level or not) and nothing else
>>
>>70268222
"PANTERA'S BEST SONG IS WALK HEHE, SLAYER IS THE BEST BEND EVA; SLAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR"

Those who never go beneath the surface, nor do they care about the music, they only like it because it's cool. Just check your average YT section on every Pantera/Slayer/Iron Maiden related video.
>>
>>70268246
>my subjective taste is inarguably better than someone else's subjective taste
Why can't someone listen to both? Why can't people enjoy underground black and death bands while still liking bands like Lamb of God and mainstream "entry level" bands with core influences and shit?
>>
>>70268257
How do you know someone doesn't care about the music? The people that comment shit like that on youtube videos are usually kids, they haven't had time to delve deeper into the music and people just tear them to shreds for, in a lot of cases, genuinely enjoying the music.
>>
>>70268257
Since when is metal cool?
>>
>>70268360
There are a bunch of faggots that are like that, kids excluded. I personally know a group of people that claim how they're big metalheads, but haven't even heard of bands like Ulver and Edge Of Sanity, that aren't even that obscure. They're usually the type of faggots that later go like "uh, I liked metal when I was a kid XDD"

>>70268418
Since when is it not?
>>
>>70268326
I'm not going to stop you from listening to anything lmao
listen to whatever you want but expect to be judged
>>
>>70268442
Be it books, films, anime or music, why does it always boil down to has a bigger one?
>>
>>70268457
that's in our nature, lad
>>
>>70268467
Indeed, my dude.
>>
>>70267811
two reasons: they haven't listened to much metal, and they're convinced distancing themselves from people they perceive as outcasts will make them more normal or liked by other people

see the following - almost all criticism is about metal's audience and not metal, it's pure insecurity:
>>70268041
>>70267920
>>70268169
>>
>>70268484
>it's pure insecurity
Fucking this. Why do so many of people on here, let alone outside, give a single shred of fuck why about some faggot's opinion? Why do they always seek validation from others and are unable to make their own opinion about whatever subject in question?
>>
>>70268435
>I personally know a group of people that claim how they're big metalheads, but haven't even heard of bands like Ulver and Edge Of Sanity, that aren't even that obscure
Sure, there are plenty of people like that. I know people who have never heard of fucking Wolves in the Throne Room. That doesn't mean that they don't care about like, Iron Maiden deeply, or Slayer, or LoG or Machine Head or who the fuck ever. Those people ARE metalheads compared to someone who's heaviest band is like, Guns n Roses.
>>
>>70268484
>>70268508
I agree, it's about the audience. I'm not saying I am one of the people who hates metal, as I said I'm a guitarist in a metal band. But one of the big reason people hate metal so much is because of the audience.
It's the same reason the metal community hates someone like Avenged Sevenfold or something so much, the fans make the music that much more hate-able.
>>
>>70268457
For the reason criticism exists in those respective fields as a historical function of the primordial desire to interpret art (and life, in a larger more existential sense) and hope to understand it, if not at least discuss it with that ideal in mind.

At least in terms of music, some people just aren't content with (perceived) mediocrity.
>>
>>70268548
>Those people ARE metalheads compared to someone who's heaviest band is like, Guns n Roses.
That's an acomplishment of sorts? What's the point of listening to a certain genre/sub-genre of music only to limit yourself to the most entry bands possible? That obviously shows that they don't care about the medium, because if they did, they'd go outside of their narrow bubble and actually explore it, the way it's meant to be. Also, the people that I've mentioned are usually of the mindset that metal is the best genre ever and that everything else is shit. People like that are making me fucking sick.
>>
>>70268590
They might like the more polished sound of the "mainstream" kind of bands. Doesn't mean they don't like metal, they just prefer some things to others. There could be plenty of reasons they don't stray too far from their comfort zone.
>Also, the people that I've mentioned are usually of the mindset that metal is the best genre ever and that everything else is shit. People like that are making me fucking sick.
I agree with this part whole-heartedly though. But there are plenty of "elitist" types who act like that too.
>>
>>70268581
I like some metal and I've been to some shows, and I agree the audience can be annoying at times. although honestly, I've never found them any more annoying than certain sects of people at punk, indie and hip hop shows. maybe the difference is that they're annoying in a metal(tm) way, but to me it seems like low hanging fruit to pick on metal specifically

but the thing I do like about metalheads is the sincerity. they really do take their music seriously, and even if I don't quite understand it that's kinda refreshing. especially compared to a place like /mu/ where everyone hides behind irony and it's cool to just hate everything

I think you're being a bit too kind to the anti-metal people, though. the fact they don't mention music at all, and pretty much exclusively base their reasoning on the audience is clear evidence of insecurity and closemindedness

as an outsider, I think the culture does lend itself to some really good music, especially if you're into dissonance. certainly with more underground stuff I've heard the self-seriousness and freedom afforded by not having to fit into any norms can generate some pretty unique music
>>
>>70268581
A good amount of metalheads are insufferable, but that shouldn't stop people from actually enjoying the music itself.

>>70268589
I understand that not everyone is content with (perceived) mediocrity as you've said, myself included, but when I see discussions boiling down to "Le reddit, pleb, faggot" without actual arguments to support them, it truly makes me sick.

>>70268632
I have no problem with someone venturing out but returning to familiar bands, since they are better suited for his taste. What I have problem with is someone who doesn't even bother to explore the vast bands metal has to offer, just because those bands aren't that popular and that known among others.
>But there are plenty of "elitist" types who act like that too.
Those types of elitists are just fake ones, and should be mocked for the joke they indeed are.
>>
>>70268707
Fucking this.
>>
>>70268707
I actually agree with all of that. I'm not saying they're justified or it makes sense for them to hate metal for those reasons, just that those are some of the main reasons that people hate metal.
It's also the fact that metal is obviously extremely abrasive and the screaming vocals and blistering solo's and shit are hard for people to get into.
>>
>>70267811
Why do you care? Do you listen to metal to gain the acceptance of others?
>>
>>70268720
Yeah, you're right they should be able to do that, but like, if someone who's an edm fan or whatever, and the only metal they've really listened to is like, black album era metallica and black sabbath for example, they go into /metal/ and try to talk to people about this stuff they've found and liked asking for more bands they might like and often get blasted with a thousand replies calling them faggots or whatever, so it gives them a bad impression of metalheads in general.
>>
>>70268590
>What's the point of listening to a certain genre/sub-genre of music only to limit yourself to the most entry bands possible?

>That obviously shows that they don't care about the medium

As much as I agree with this, you have to realize that finding new bands that you ACTUALLY enjoy within certain sub genres takes time.. Even finding new genres to delve into takes time. It also doesn't help that everyone in the /metal/ threads are too busy paying attention to the shit posters instead of the actual genuine questions.
>>
It sounds like a fucking demon. It can't deal
>>
>>70267811
I honestly think it's a bit of jealousy. It's really odd how virulent most /mu/tants are towards metal. I can understand not liking a genre, but a lot of people react really strongly to the mention of metal for apparently no reason. I don't foam at the mouth at the first sign of jazz.

The normies I've discussed metal with have a strange reverence for metal that I suspect a lot of pretentious faggots envy. I've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me, in a sort of awestruck way, because I listen to metal.

A lot of the criticism of metal is not of the music itself, and is instead of the fanbase, which suggests that most critics are more concerned with the image and culture surrounding the genre. I'm not saying there isn't a lot wrong with the metal fanbase. There is, but those who say that "metal is for children" are clearly more concerned with appearing mature than developing a serious appreciation of music.

It seems like compensation and insecurity to me. There's definitely more at play than a dislike of metal music.

>>70268707
I agree with this.
>>
>>70268892
I beg to differ, even though there are faggots like that, a good amount of people, in /metal/ generals especially, give them charts or band recs and are usually very helpful and quite responsive towards questions they might have. At least that's what I've seen so far. Newfags just need to learn to tolerate shitposters, and they'll be fine.

>>70268911
It does take time, but if you at least try to venture outside entry tier bands, that's at least something and far more than many can say about themselves.
>>
ive never heard a metal band without awful lyrics
>>
>>70267811
Because it has stupid edgy vocals, it's pathetic
>>
>>70269012
Shit like >>70269072 illustrates my point. It comes off as Tumblr-style shaming that has less to do with the music and more to do with putting down the fans.
>>
>>70269027
Yeah that's a fair point I guess, but to someone who hasn't spent much time in those threads because they don't wanna sit through all the shitposting, they may not ever see those replies is all I'm saying. I mean I post in /metal/ and it's generally cool cause I get to talk about bands that a lot of people I know IRL never heard of, but I've definitely experienced the irritating side of it too, for example I've never been able to get into black metal, all the tremolo picking and that thin, high, vocal style always pissed me off but I recently got turned onto to deafheaven through a friend and liked it a fair bit, but of course because sunbather is a meme at this point any time I tried to get serious recs for atmoblack and blackgaze bands I was met with the same shit we've been talking about. All I'm saying really is I can see why people don't like metalheads and by extension treat metal the way they do. I don't agree with it, but I see how it happens.
>>
>>70269012
>I've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me
Happens to me a lot, since I'm also 6'3. As stereotypical as it sounds, I've also had many people asking me during the high school, if I'm a satanist and many things along that line. People truly seem to be frightened by something they can't comprehend, so they feel the need to be as defensive as possible.
>>
>>70269063
>listening to music for the lyrics
pleb as fuck.
>>
>>70269115
I made a chart for my friend who was trying to get into black metal. These are early albums that were crucial in the development of the genre. Most people try to dive in headfirst and end up hating it. You have to ease yourself into it.

Deafheaven is crap atmoblack. Darkspace is much better.

>>70269116
Same, I'm 6'5".
>>
>>70268418
>>
>>70269116
This though desu.
I'm not even big, I'm like 5'11, and not like super skinny but definitely not ripped, and I've had my brothers footy mates who are jacked and 6+ feet tell him they're scared of me. Tripped me out. Not sure if it's the tattoos or whatever, but it's a weird phenomenon.
>>
>>70269110
>Tumblr-style shaming that has less to do with the music and more to do with putting down the fans
What i said has nothing to do with fans fans, it's strictly related to the music

>i've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me, in a sort of awestruck way, because I listen to metal.
oh nevermind, it's b8
>>
>>70269172
not him, but not all metal has vocals, nevermind your nebulous idea of "edgy" vocals
>>
>>70269115
I can relate to the Deafheaven part of your comment quite a lot, since I only got into black metal around summer and don't get the hate for it. The biggest surronding black metal is that it prides itself on being so different, yet it's fans attack everything that's out of the norm. Really makes you think, no pun intended.

>>70269149
You're a bigger guy.

>>70269170
It's quite hillarious, to say the least.

>>70269072
>stupid edgy vocals
Can you be a little more specific? Can you name some bands with them or what?
>>
File: topsters2.jpg (152KB, 1546x756px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.jpg
152KB, 1546x756px
>>70269149
Here it is.

>>70269172
Don't be dense. You know what you're saying; it has nothing to do with the vocals. There are plenty of bands that use clean vocals or no vocals at all.
>>
>>70269200
i never said all metal has vocals, but most that have are guttural
>>
>>70269225
>Hammerheart
Why not list albums like Batlord's s/t or The Return? Far closer to black metal than Hammerheart.
>>
>>70269149
>Deafheaven is crap atmoblack
Yeah but they're a good gateway band cause of how they blend it with a few more familiar metal influences. I've been going through early Burzum and Darkthrone shit recently but it took a band like Deafheaven to get me to kind of break my misunderstanding of the genre. After listening to sunbather I realised black metal isn't really about the same things as most metal, like it's not about technical proficiency and like "sick riffs bro" stuff, it's more "zone out" music for lack of a better description.
>>
>>70269265
>>70269265
Hammerheart was one of the first atmospheric sounding black metal albums. Good for preparing yourself for atmoblack.

>>70269271
They really aren't a good gateway band. Venom and Celtic Frost are much better gateway bands.
>>
>>70269244
>i never said all metal has vocals
right, that's what makes it a terrible reason to hate metal
>>
>>70269293
>Venom
has and always will be utter garbage. You completely missed the dudes point that you were replying to, btw.
>>
>>70269293
Ulver's Bergatt would'ev been a better choice.
>>
>>70269293
>They really aren't a good gateway band.
Well, like, they inarguably are because I've spent most of my life not being able to get into black metal, venom included, and Sunbather got me into black metal.
>>
Everyone loves grindcore
>>
>>70269367
Grindcore, along with slam and brutal death, is just so fucking funny.
>>
Insecure beta nu-male cucks feel threatened by metal's often non-serious aesthetic. They are also too lazy to pay attention to the music long enough to appreciate the refinement that has gone into it, and prefer music that just throws a bunch of ideas at you without subtlety since that's far easier to understand.
>>
File: true detective s3.jpg (127KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
true detective s3.jpg
127KB, 620x349px
>>70269367

grindcore makes people suicidal.
>>
File: riffsidejourney.jpg (195KB, 990x990px) Image search: [Google]
riffsidejourney.jpg
195KB, 990x990px
Everyone likes riffs, right?
>>
>>70269318
Venom was a critical bridge between traditional heavy metal and extreme metal. They are a gateway, historically speaking. Certainly much less garbage than Deafheaven.

>>70269322
My friend and I were listening to Hammerheart when I made the chart, so I decided to put that on there.

>>70269355
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
>>
>>70269486
Batlord is always a valid rec,
>>
>>70269486
I don't think you understand what people mean when they say "gateway" band.
Someone like Linkin Park, for example, is a good gateway band because kids listen to them, then start liking heavy rock, then go down the rabbit hole to find actual good metal bands.
A good gateway band doesn't need to be a good band, they just need to be able to make people who would never listen to that style gain an interest in it. Also Venom are cringey, sloppy, shit.
>>
>>70269547
Venom's WTH, BM and AWWS are genuine solid albums.
>>
>>70269547
Venom and first wave in general are the casual filter for people that don't like the 'metal' part in 'black metal' but I guess yours is not too surprising a sentiment for someone that couldn't get into black metal without Deafheaven.

(this statement is contrary to the whole decrying about elitism in metal but you set yourself up too easily here as a person that simply needs to listen to the music more)
>>
>>70267811
I don't hate it, but I really just don't enjoy listening to it. It's pretty fun to play though. Used to play guitar in a doom metal band wich was a blast
>>
>>70268222
>>70268246
>>70268257

imo a poser isnt someone who listens to "bad" metal its just someone who listens only to metal which has gained acceptance in the indie/hipster subcultures, like burzum, boris, etc. they wont listen to anything that might get them made fun of, and when praising those hipster metal bands they always add "and i dont even like metal!"
>>
>>70269562
>LAY DOWN YOUR SOULD TO THE GODS ROCK AND ROLL
>
>FREAKIN SO WILD
>NOBODY'S MILD
>GIVING IT ALL THAT YOU GOT
>WILD IS SO RIGHT
>METAL TONIGHT
>FASTER THAN OVER THE TOP

Super solid, man.
>>
>>70269508
Might be a bit too extreme for someone that early on.

>>70269547
That sounds like less of a gateway band and more of a magnet for people who would ultimately turn the genre into the shitshow of mediocrity that metal has become. People who can't enjoy a classic band have no business involving themselves with the contemporary state of a genre.

Also, Venom has some good albums. Don't be a stick in the mud.
>>
>>70268581
This. It's the same reason mu shits on Mac Demarco or Odd Future, the fan base is really dumb.
>>
>>70269616

honestly dude, deafheavens lyrics are just as embarrassing.
>>
>>70269624
>That sounds like less of a gateway band and more of a magnet for people who would ultimately turn the genre into the shitshow of mediocrity that metal has become.
The more people get into metal, the more bands can actually make a living, the more bands will come around, which by volume alone means more good bands will come. Bringing in more fans should always be a good thing if you actually give a fuck about those bands.
Also, there are a thousand bands from the contemporary era that are shitloads better than a band like Venom. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.
>People who can't enjoy a classic band have no business involving themselves with the contemporary state of a genre.
I didn't say they can't I just said that they may have never been exposed to it in order to realise that they like it.
>>
>>70269612
then surely they aren't 'posing' if they already admit they don't like metal?
>>
>>70269624
The Return/Under/BFD maybe, but their s/t is just lo-fi thrash.
>>
>>70269704

why are they listening to metal then?
>>
>>70269655
Sure, but you can't make them out so it never bothered me. I'm not saying they're a great band or anything like that, but it took a band like them, who mixes that black metal style with more common modern metal elements to shift my paradigm about black metal as a whole. Don't worry, Darkthrone has gotten me into "good" black metal.
>>
>>70269722
Maybe they like what one or two bands are doing with it and haven't found any others that appeal to them yet.
>>
>>70269785
>haven't found any others that appeal to them yet

must have not listened to very much because i bet the few bands they do like arent really all that original
>>
>>70269705
It's the lo-fi that would make it tough on the ears.
>>
>>70269800
To be fair, like with any genre, there ARE a lot of pretty shitty metal bands.
>>
>>70269817
If they can handle thrash, they can handle their s/t.
>>
>>70269817

yeah if ur a nerd bitch
>>
>>70268020
>core crap

you're the reason that general is as shitty as it is
nothing wrong with -core
>>
>>70269940
Yes lad. Some "core" bands have been responsible for some of the best heavy music innovations in like 10-20 years.
>>
File: christgau994.jpg (80KB, 970x667px) Image search: [Google]
christgau994.jpg
80KB, 970x667px
Metal is a world of its own, and even listeners who grew up hearing Led Zeppelin or Quiet Riot on AOR radio rarely combine an appetite for difficult ideas with a continuing passion for such music. Rock intellectuals prefer "alternative," even rap, and their disdain rankles the metal faithful.

As one of those rock intellectuals, however, I remain unconverted. The intensity of metal's phallic narcissism has few parallels outside X-rated movies, toilet art, and (oh yes) rap.

For many of us, metal's classical affinities are the very thing that renders it unlistenable--that as far as we're concerned, the instrumentally dexterous, rhetoric-drenched, and often melodramatic approach to meaning the two musics share is what rock and roll was put on earth to save us from.
>>
>>70270082
That literally who is clearly a giant beta cuck faggot
>>
File: Christgau Elvis.png (269KB, 1570x738px) Image search: [Google]
Christgau Elvis.png
269KB, 1570x738px
>>70270082
Here's where he literally admits to having massive insecurity issues from his high school days that he projects onto metal fans.
>>
>>70270082
Master of Puppets [Elektra, 1986]

I feel a distinct generation gap between myself and this music, not because my weary bones can't take its power and speed, but because I was born far too soon to have had my dendrites rewired by progressive radio. The momentum of this band can be impressive, and as with most fast metal (as well as some sludge metal), they seem to have acceptable political motivations--antiwar, anticonformity, even anticoke. Fine. Problem is, the revolutionary heroes I envision aren't male chauvinists too naive to know better, they're not Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian, all flowing hair and huge pecs. That's the image Metallica calls up, and I feel no more obligated to summon their strength of my own free will than I am the 1812 Overture's. B-
>>
>>70270464
>>70270337
Correct. He feels sexually threatened by the virile metal barbarians.
>>
>>70270464
>Doesn't like Arnie/Conan
>Ultra leftist scum
Confirmed cuck faggot.
>>
>>70270580
Arnold endorsed Hillary for president anyway, so fuck him.
>>
>>70270641
Arnold hasn't been arnie in 10+ years now though so meh. Young arnie is GOAT.
>>
>>70267811
> Because Christgau hates it
> Because Scaruffi hates it
> Because pitchfork hates it unless it's Deafheaven
> Because they get put-off by Nightwish-listening landwhales or white trash Five Finger Death Punch fans
> Because it's much more masculine and that intimidates the average /mu/ nu-male
> Because they went to high school with annoying 14yo "metalheads" and think everyone who listens to metal is the exact same
> all of the above
>>
>>70270720
forgot the most obvious one

> Because girls don't like it
>>
>>70270746

is this why they love shoegaze so much?
>>
>>70270720
Scaruffi has metal lists and a decent amount of his listening nowadays is tech death/black
>>
>>70270746
This. It seems like almost every meme criticism of metal puts pussy on a pedestal in some fashion.
>>
>>70270757
exactly. most of /mu/ is incredibly insecure about their taste in music and craves external validation

having a girl think you have good taste in music is like the holy grail for an insecure music fan, and liking metal is a great way for grills to think you're some weird outcast
>>
File: 1447391876097.jpg (318KB, 1078x729px) Image search: [Google]
1447391876097.jpg
318KB, 1078x729px
>>70270930
>liking metal is a great way for grills to think you're some weird outcast
>>
File: bro.jpg (6KB, 217x200px) Image search: [Google]
bro.jpg
6KB, 217x200px
>>70271150
>>
>>70270082
>rock intellectuals
>>
>>70270464
>This music is bad because I imagine that my old enemies from high school like it
>>
File: 1-danny-antonucci.jpg (46KB, 450x517px) Image search: [Google]
1-danny-antonucci.jpg
46KB, 450x517px
>>70267811
Some people just go out of their way to hate music anon
>>
as a metal fan myself, i don't really see anyone hating on metal, it's just that some of you guys have that annoying ''i listen to these not mainstream metal bands, so my taste is different and superior" aura, so they hate you, not metal itself. i hate you too btw
>>
>>70272235
>i don't really see anyone hating on metal,
How frequently do you visit /mu/? Almost everyone shits on it around here.
>>
>>70272308
only the underage trap fans kiddos
>>
>>70272308
Yeah /mu/ is full of p4k reading nu-males who think Deafheaven is too heavy
>>
>>70272235
>as a metal fan myself, i don't really see anyone hating on metal
read the thread
>>
>>70272418
That are the majority of the board, vocal majority that is.

>>70272439
I know that, and I don't care about their opinions, nor for any other opinions. Even though I'm quite open minded and listen to various genres, metal just hits that sweet spot.
>>
>>70269624
>People who can't enjoy a classic band have no business involving themselves with the contemporary state of a genre.
This so much.

>>70270506
Do you think he's actually into cuckoldry? Maybe we could arrange something with and his wife. Imagine a bunch of dudes from /meal/ meme spouting as they run a train on his wife while he jerks off in the corner.
>>
>>70268246
You've basically set a criteria where you can shit on anyone you like from your ivory tower in which you wank yourself off while you cling to your favourite albums as an alternative fashion statement. Pretty much all music fan fall under "accessible stuff, classical, critically acclaimed stuff, or lesser known stuff". Has it ever occured to you people just listen to whatever sounds nice to them? Nah, of course not.
>>
>>70267811
They listen to it.
>>
>>70268020
-Core is fucking good poser
>>
>>70273035
Christgau might let David Johansen fuck his wife.
>>
>>70273371
What?
>>
>>70269702
No it doesn't mean that more good bands will come. It means that the genre will be absorbed into pop culture and transformed into commercialized garbage, and that's a death sentence for any form of outsider art like metal.
>>
>>70273845
>I like the musicians I listen to having to work full time jobs instead of being able to actually make money from music
>>
I'm a huge fan of metal, and I barely listen to other genres of music (right now I don't think I have anything on my FLAC player that isn't at least tangentially metal or a side project of a metal band except 45 Grave). That said, there are two main things (which are kind of the same) that annoy me about a number of metal fans:
1) Making no apology for autistic/anti-social behavior. There's nothing wrong with being a loner, but if you're always blatantly rude or clueless in social situations and don't care if people get offended or annoyed, I don't want to hang around you.
2) Being lazy and/or having no control over their lives (part of the reason 4chan really gets on my nerves often, and why I gravitate more toward the Metal-Archives people and especially the NWN people who are more about individual responsibility and getting your shit together)

Which is why I refuse to dress metal aside from the occasional shirt.
>>
>>70273888
That's right.

>wanting your favorite artists to sell out to make money for record labels
>>
>>70273845
Eh, you never know what could happen. Zombie movies used to just be for weirdos and now look at the glut of popular zombie shit. Comic book characters used to be just for geeks, and now they're inescapable. I don't think Horna will start being played on the radio overnight, but there's always the slight possibility that at some point in the future extreme metal will find its way into the mainstream.
>>
>>70273924
>selling out is a thing
Stop the whole punk rock guilt bullshit. It's completely reasonable to want to make money from music you fucking child. Also, most independent labels these days set up pretty good deals for artists because the artists are more informed, you know, internet age and everything. I bet you don't even pay for music. Entitlement generation confirmed.
>>
>>70273974
Which will inarguably be a good thing for the artists.
>oh no people have discovered my super secret club
>>
>>70267811
Because it's an unbearably white-dominated genre full of male power fantasy
>>
>>70274172
cuck
>>
>>70274172
Back to Pitchfork cuck
>>
>tfw actual studies with big sample sizes show extreme metal fans are the most intelligent and black metal fans share similar behavior with classical music listeners.

Also noticing how few people actually listen to metal as a whole and how usually they are extremely well spoken makes me think those facts are true.

-non metal head
>>
>>70273974
Most comic book character movies are shit, so are most zombie films.
And I actually like old Zombie stuff, but since they got into Pop culture there's just so many being pumped out with so little heart in them honestly.
And much metal is similar, there sure come more Bands, but mostly it just brings money to already popular bands, because there's very few people that actually delve into the underground.
>>
>>70274172
Rap is an unbearably black-dominated genre full of male power fantasy. But it still stands as a valid sense of expression.
>>
>>70267920
wtf i hate metal music now
>>
>>70275045
Except zombie movies and superhero movies have never been shit, so they're really bad examples. Plus there's a fair few "mainstream" bands that are actually really good,you just never give them a chance because you paint anyone who actually makes money as "sell-outs" and they actually have decent production and don't record all their songs in some fuckin cave in norway.
>>
>>70275099
>Except zombie movies and superhero movies have never been shit
Always been shit*
>>
>>70274172
>unbearably white

?
>>
>>70275099
I listen to popular bands, but that doesn't change the fact, that a great amount of people don't go on from there.
I started with Rammstein Slipknot and Linkin Park and ended with Black Metal, but still a lot of people either just turn their back on metal at 16-18 because "it was just a phase" or just keep listening to the annual Sabaton and Disturbed album on repeat.
New fans are really great, but all these annoying one bands listeners that keep spouting metal is the _only_ good genre and everyone else is so stupid for not liking it and so on are just pissing me off.
You can see that shit at most concerts and festivals, almost no one gives the small bands a chance, so i stand with 20 other people and listen to gorod, while Sabaton/Slayer are impossible to see, because you have to stand behind the food stands, even though they are at every 2nd metal festival.
>>
>>70274172
This is why it's good, though
>>
>>70275233
Ok, but the more people that get into metal through the mainstream bands, the more chances there are for people to get into underground bands and support the musicians you wanna hear from. If no one get's into the mainstream bands, and no new mainstream bands come out, the underground bands will have even less fans, and then won't be able to make music at all, because they won't have money, and the genre will die.
You're also generalising a fair bit too though. You said yourself that you started with pop metal bands and moved on from there, do you seriously think you're the only one to do that? Outside of the internet most people who are into metal will go through and discover loads of new bands. You don't know everyone at a Slipknot concert, you can't tell just by looking at someone whether they just like slayer or they have as varied of a selection as you do. People aren't cardboard cutouts. Just cause they don't find the same bands as you doesn't mean they don't find new bands.
If there's no mainstream metal scene, there's even less people to give small bands a chance. We NEED the mainstream bands to keep the genre alive, and to bring in more fans who will then have a starting off point to go through and find the smaller bands.
>>
>>70275612
>do you seriously think you're the only one to do that
No, but from my experience it's fairly uncommon.
I'd love if metal gets some new good fans, but the things is that there's mostly the Metal-Pop Scene that's growing from that kind off stuff and it's getting pretty cancerous in my opinion
Many big festivals are full of tourists that don't even go there for the music but for "the experience" and that's just shitty and they buy real fans Tickets.
If the people actually like the music it's really great, but metal starts to attract more and more people that just identify with the image or find it "exotic" and don't actually listen to much metal.
Sure a few people introduced over the popular bands go on and are good fans, but many are just annoying stereo types and give metal a bad name, by being the "metal is the only genre that's good" kind of guy and 3 years later they find some new best genre.
>>
>>70275704
>No, but from my experience it's fairly uncommon.
It's gonna be even more uncommon if the metal scene keeps alienating people and pushing them away cause they chose the wrong starter band.
Maybe the reason it's so uncommon is because these people, often teenagers, who are really just kids, get excited about finding this new awesome music and they get excited to talk about this new band they discovered like Trivium or Lamb of God or Avenged Sevenfold, and they get shat on and mocked the second they bring them up to metalheads. You don't win people over by belittling them, so the whole idea of elitism keeping "posers" away makes no sense. You should be like. "hey if you like them, heres the bands who influenced those guys, and here's some bands on the underground scene that are doing their kind of thing with a little more innovation" instead of just the knee-jerk reaction of "haha gay7x go kill yourself faggot stay out of my genre".
Plus, on the other issue. Why would you not want the bands you like to be able to support themselves off of their music? That way they can actually tour without worrying about getting fired from their day job. It's not "selling out" to want to make money for your work.
>>
>>70275904
I don't tell that to people, if I meet people that are new to metal, I try to get them to listen to some less popular bands. That doesn't change the fact that many don't do it and only a very small amount does it on their own.
And as said before, many of the teenagers sadly go on to the next genre and say metal was a phase or something and leave it behind (even though i just can't relate to that, how can you love a genre one day and hate it another?).
And yeah it's great for Bands to be able to support themselves with their music, but for me it's a difference if a band like Slayer has their millionth fan or some other band gets their 50th fan.
But yeah i completely agree with you, people should be introduced to more music instead of making fun of them, but they have to _want_ to listen to more metal and many people just stick in their comfort zone or just go on after a few months/years of the one or two bands they found, which is pretty sad.
And that's where the thing I mentioned comes into play. People go to festivals and don't even look at many of the Bands just because they don't know them already. And that's a really lage majority doing that. Those people show no initiative to see new bands and those people suck in my opinion.
Many open airs seem to revolve more around the camping than the music.
>>
>>70271150
>>70271221
>>
>>70276107
Yeah for sure I agree with that completely, but you can't deny that there is an extremely large and extremely vocal group of metal fans who do do that shit. Which was the main thing I was saying to OP, the reason a lot of people tend to have this absurd hate for metal is because of how a lot of the fans act towards "outsiders".
If Slayer get's their millionth fan, and that fan GENUINELY really likes Slayer, the chances of them stopping there are tiny. It's only the people who like it cause their friends like it who really just turn around and stop listening to metal altogether, which is why it's a good thing to have those pop metal gateway bands. They ease people into a genre that is at first pretty hard to get into when you've never been exposed to it. If someones first ever experience with metal is like, Nails or something, the chances of them giving any metal band a shot is slim to none, but with a band like Trivium, they can ease their way into screaming vocals and heavy distortion and things like that which can be off-putting at first.
>>
>>70276354
Yeah sure, like I said I even come from a similar path. I don't think there are many people that immediately like Death or Black Metal, first time I listened to Cannibal Corpse after a guy recommended it to me I was like "wtf is that shit" then one year later I was blasting them every day until I found better Death Metal bands.
Yeah the elitism often goes too far, but I think a bit of initiative from the people that are new must also be there, I'm getting really angry, when I see bands like Gorod live and there's only like 15-20 people around to watch them, but hundreds of people are on the campsite and do jack shit and just wait for the headliners.
>>
>>70270930
>>70271150
>>70271221
>>70276353
If you have a shred of confidence it doesn't even matter, unless you're talking with a disgusting christfag grill.
>>
>>70276589
Truth.
I was pretty respected in school even though I listened to metal pretty much exclusively.
Just don't be an asshole about it or try to force it on other people too hard.
>>
>>70276589
>Not wanting an innocent uncorrupted christian virginfu to ruin
Not metal.
>>
>RAAAAAAAWWRRRR *FAST PULSATING DRUMS* *FAST PULSATING DISTORTED GUITARS* RAAAAAAWWRRR
>>
>>70276671
>WAAHHHHH *3 broken chords on an acoustic guitar* *why doesn't she love me* WAAAHHHH
>>
>>70276728
kek
>>
>>70273903
>apologizing for offending people
Then why be offensive in the first place? If you're going to be an autistic edgelord, be an autistic edgelord. You don't have to be a pussy, too.

>being lazy
Are metalheads lazy? I didn't know this was stereotypical of metalheads.

>>70274034
Independent labels pressure artists to release sterile garbage that appeals to wider audience to increase revenue with no regard for quality of the product.

See also: every metal band that released classic albums before 1997 (excluding a handful like Burzum and Summoning)

>>70274722
Thanks m8

>>70276589
Actually it kind of does, whether you have confidence or not. Metal music is repulsive to most people, especially girls.

Not impossible to pick up qts, but it makes it damn tough, especially if you wear the t-shirts.
>>
>>70274722
Do you have a link to these studies? I'm interested in reading further.
>>
>>70276833
>Not impossible to pick up qts, but it makes it damn tough, especially if you wear the t-shirts.
Depens on the shirt, some yeezus shirts don't look that different from black metal shirts and they are normie tier.
Different thing if you wear a butchered at birth shirt tho.
>Independent labels pressure artists to release sterile garbage that appeals to wider audience to increase revenue with no regard for quality of the product.
True, I'm really happy things like Bandcamp exist, so people can just release their music without having to go to a label.
>>
>>70276833
By "make no apology" I mean if they fuck up they don't make an attempt to be better.

>>70276833
>Actually it kind of does, whether you have confidence or not. Metal music is repulsive to most people, especially girls.
>Not impossible to pick up qts, but it makes it damn tough, especially if you wear the t-shirts.
It may be repulsive, but that doesn't make it impossible by a long shot.
>>
>>70267811
it just kind of take too long for the melodies and riffs to resonate with me, im sure if i listened to more that wouldnt be an issue but i just dont care enough
>>
File: me.jpg (173KB, 635x956px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
173KB, 635x956px
>>70270720
>>70270746

these. personally, i love that /mu/ nu-males revile it. it's fucking hilarious to see them act superior to people who actually enjoy music because they listen to the latest trendy internet curator approved pop music
>>
>>70276921
It's more than the shirts, though. It's the stigma of being a social outcast that is associated with metal culture that girls dislike. Women are very social creatures and are generally uncomfortable with asociality.

On a related note, this pussy worship on 4chan as a whole kind of irks me. I get that this website is effectively a glorified pornography database, but it's sort of odd that the supposed Internet capital of misogyny places so much value on the approval of females.

>inb4 virgin
I have had sex before.

>>70276956
Offending or insulting somebody isn't necessarily fucking up.

I'm not really understanding your criticism. Do you think metalheads should change themselves every time they annoy or offend? There wouldn't be any of them left.
>>
>>70274722
I imagine extreme anything fans are usually highly intelligent
>>
its nice being able to discuss music without some annoying metalhead calling it sissy music while posting the latest korn album
>>
>>70278347
as long as you're not autistic about it girls don't give a shit what you listen to
>>
File: 1476761075914.png (3MB, 8812x1325px) Image search: [Google]
1476761075914.png
3MB, 8812x1325px
>>70270720
>> Because Scaruffi hates it
>>
Because it's about as embarrassing and pleb as playing video games, watching anime or listening Grimes
>>
>>70279631
Exactly, there's no non-autistic way to listen to Gorgoroth or Cannibal Corpse
>>
>>70280010
i have a cousin who listens to osdm, and cannibal corpse is his favorite band. he's well adjusted, has a phd and a hot wife
>>
People think metal is juvenile yet rap is almost always about fucking bitches and bragging about petty shit
>>
Now that we're on the subject. How could you introduce someone to metal? I've seen ITT that people hate/make fun of harsh vocals and gutturals, but we know that's just the extreme part of metal. For those people I'd recommend Rainbow - Rising, Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny and Black Sabbath - Masters Of Reality.
>>
>>70280275
mastodon
alcest
>>
File: 1445282159675.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1445282159675.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>70280187
It doesn't turn you into a virgin for life, dude. It just makes it hard to relate to girls. Plenty of autists have Ph.D.s and wives.

>>70280275
I'd start with Black Sabbath s/t. The first song gives a great preface to metal as a whole. It gives an introduction to the themes and ideologies that make metal what it is. After that, good recs
>>
>>70267811
/metal/ is one of the best generals on this board, it's better than the fucking Swans or Death Grips circlejerks you see day in and day out.
>>
>>70274722
>and black metal fans share similar behavior with classical music listeners.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I listened to nothing but classical until freshman year of college, now I have like almost 1000 bm albums under my belt, it's my most listened to genre. I also was a music composition major for a while, and put out a classical piano album. I couldn't describe the exact parallel, but I definitely know that plenty of black metal fans enjoy classical (aside from white supremacy reasons). Then again my favorite composer was scriabin, so maybe I just like that dark aesthetic.
>>
>>70280372
>one of the best generals on the board
2 years ago maybe
not now
not fucking now
>>
>>70280495
Now the nest general is /shugazi/
>>
>>70280288
Leviathan, Crack The Skye and Blood Mountain are fun records.

>>70280325
That's a good start for someone who likes blues rock and/or hard rock already, since s/t has those vibes a well.
>>
>>70280275
You don't.
>>
Who is the Crusher of /metal/?
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.