[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCK i thought the "hey anon what kind of music do you listen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: inline_nt0vb5equP1spsojg_500.jpg (55KB, 500x473px) Image search: [Google]
inline_nt0vb5equP1spsojg_500.jpg
55KB, 500x473px
FUCK i thought the "hey anon what kind of music do you listen to ?" meme was stupid and that you just had to say some generic stuff, but i just had the most awkward conversation with my barber

>"so what kind of stuff do you listen to ?"
>"well... huh... a lot of stuff actually... Like..."
>i didn't want to sound too obscure but not too pleb either, trying to find the perfect balance
>"...Mainly Rock... Old and new stuff... I love The Beatles and Radiohead..."
>FUCK i sound like a retarded pleb, why is this so hard
>let's try something else
>"Oh i like some Metal too"
>"Oh yeah ? What kind of Metal ? Old or new ?"
>FUCK
>"...Huh... Mainly Black Sabbath... And... Hum..."
>mfw Black Sabbath is the only mainstream Metal i like, the rest is either Black Metal or Grindcore
>"Hah Black Sabbath ! So you really like the old stuff ! What else ?"
>I don't know what the fuck to say, and i refuse to say stuff like Iron Maiden or Korn because i don't even like it
>"Well that's pretty much it actually. Just Black Sabbath"
>"Haha okay"

>mfw i told him music was my passion and the only bands i could name were The Beatles, Radiohead and Black Sabbath
>mfw he probably thought i was the most absolute pleb on this Earth

I usually don't go full autist but that was just awful
I hate music
>>
why would you lie about subjective opinions to impress people?
even if you're not a pleb you're an idiot.
>>
>>70266915
you can just say artists you know they won't kknow, as long as you say a genre that makes sense to them
>>
>>70266915
>you just had to say some generic stuff
at least now you know first hand that that's terrible advice
>>
better get a new barber, or he'll shave the word PLEB into the back of your head next time
>>
>>70266915
u stupid
>>
>>70267042
kek
>>
Why don't you just genuinely tell him some of your favorite bands and preface with "Some of them are kinda out there but..."??
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 650x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 650x600px
>>70267042
>>
>>70267024
This is the most important thing. If you just stick with blanket genre labels then you can list off whatever bands you want. What's important about sticking to blanket genre labels is that you don't sound like a turbo autist with your sub sub sub sub categories of music which have the tiniest of differences that the person you're talking to may not care about or be able to detect if you asked them. But if you say "Yeah I like classic rock, old 60s pop and stuff" you can list off fucking Robin Trower and Billy Nicholls, they'll just think it's cool that you're listing off artists they may not know while still being able to follow the conversation.

Trying so hard to stick to "common" or "generic" artists is autistic as fuck. Conversations will be awkward if they don't flow smoothly and it won't flow smoothly if you try so hard.
>>
I always lie and say I like adele ;-; ADELE. I ONLY LISTEN TO ADELE. NOW GET OUT.
>>
>>70266976
I'd ask the same thing but I've been in a similar situation and it just happens, probably something with social anxiety to do, even though I don't have a lot of that usually.
>>
>"I like metal too, but not Metallica, Slayer, thrash stuff -- I'd be more into Black Metal, like those Norwegian Bands, also grindcore as well."
That's all you had to do. If he's asking you if you like old or new metal, he probably knows his stuff. Shall we hold your dick while you piss next?
>>
>start talking about music
>surprised when he asks you about music
>>
It's weird because in my experience barbers usually have great taste. The guy who's been cutting my hair for a few years now played in a screamo band and he showed my their one and only album and it's actually not bad. He told me how he opened for Converge and introduced me to Hot Snakes and Mike Patton. He's got a more encyclopedic knowledge of hardcore punk than anyone I know. Don't be so nervous man, if he went through the effort to ask you he probably has good taste
>>
File: challanges.png (234KB, 482x478px) Image search: [Google]
challanges.png
234KB, 482x478px
>>70266915
>>
>>70267264
>screamo
>great taste
>>
>>70266915
Why would you get so stressed over a conversation with a barber? He won't judge you, you're a customer and he makes some small talk just to pass time. Anything you say it's ok, it's not like you're forced to hold a deep conversation and he's doing a job, so he won't want to go all deep ad serious into it.
>>
>>70267042
>what kinda cut u want senpai?
>let everyone know I listen to Radiohead
>say no more
>>
>>70267387
>shaves Patrician into back of head
>>
>>70267187
That's a very autistic response are you autistic
>>
>>70267264
what's his band m8
>>70267319
pick two
>>
>>70266915
Why wouldn't you just say the black metal or grindcore you like
>>
>>70267420
They were called Ghosts of Modern Man and they have an album called City of No Light. My barber played guitar for them and did backup vocals as well
>>
>>70266915
>i didn't want to sound too obscure but not too pleb either, trying to find the perfect balance
Exactly.

Thankfully I mostly talk to hipsters about music, so they understand.
>>
>>70266915
The barber probably doesn't care. Chances are he doesn't browse /mu/ so he doesn't know he's apparently supposed to look down on people for their music taste. You're fine, just forget about it.
>>
File: 1427471414084.jpg (149KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1427471414084.jpg
149KB, 803x688px
OP here
I still feel stupid as hell kek

>why didn't you say you liked this and that
That's the thing, i don't know why i wouldn't.
My brain went full autismo and i over-analyzed everything i wanted to say, it was stupid as hell
For some reason i only wanted to name bands that he would have heard of, but at the same time not bands that EVERYONE knows, and it ended up being this awkward mess

The thing is i discuss music with normies ALL the time and it always goes very well but this time it was so stupid, probably because usually when i discuss music i genuinely want to and enjoy it, but there i didn't care about small talk with my barber i just wanted him to cut my hair

Am I overthinking this ? Jesus Christ
>>
FUCK I thought the "autism" meme was stupid, but then I read this post
>>
>>70267420
>pick two
If I added guyliner Hot Topic you could pick four
>>
>>70267593
dude, the most autistic thing about this is that you are worried that your barber may think that you are pleb. It´s not even someone you are friends with or want to befriend with. Just stop worrying about it
>>
>>70268080
>just don't give a fuck
This is "b urself" tier advice.
>>
File: guE7LX0.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
guE7LX0.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>70267415
im on /mu/ discussing how to have a conversation
>>
>>70268149
In this situation it's not grow the fuck up
Your relationship to your barber means piss all, as if your bloody life thinking about Thom is much important ayway
>>
>>70268258
Nice punctuation.
>>
>>70268080
>>70268258
That post >>70268149 wasn't me kek
Well ultimately i don't care about what he thinks but the way i poorly handled the interaction kinda bothers me though, to be honest
I'm usually pretty articulate about music and i feel kinda stupid, but ultimately i shared that story because i knew it would make you lads laugh
>>
>not liking iron maiden

you deserved it
>>
I Just say pink floyd like 90% of the time and everybody is cool with it
>>
>>70268456
I do like some of Iron Maiden, Killers is one of my favorite Metal albums, but for some reason i didn't want to say Iron Maiden
>>
if you openly admit that your favorite artist has more than 90 listens on bandcamp you are officially a pleb

just list off fake bands and pretend you're into obscure underground music nobody else has heard of. literally just make up band names on the spot. nobody will be able to say they're bad and you'll save face.
>>
I usually say I like mostly hip hop but listen to just about anything
If they ask more about it, I'll say kanye, MF DOOM, earl, etc, and say i listen to a few lesser known bandcamp rappers

Idk why people have trouble with this, like >>70267144 said, just name a few genres or something, who cares if they know the artist or not if they can get a general idea of the music
>>
Pussy
just say what you're currently listening to, doesn't matter if its lesser known or not. For the sake of conversation you should prob throw in a couple of more known artists but honestly you have nothing to lose.
>>
>>70267319
Pleb
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.