[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/band/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Band General.png (159KB, 1280x741px) Image search: [Google]
Band General.png
159KB, 1280x741px
Discuss your current band or what kind of band you want to make or your current situation music wise.

Motivate and help other anons that are struggling with their bands/forming a band.

Give tips on how to make a band successful, how to promote material, good places to play, etc.

If you're trying to start a band, feel free to post your area code and what state you live in as well as what kind of music you want to make so you can meet up with other anons near by.
>>
Also, I've been thinking about making this like a once or twice a month type of thing, when do you think it'd be good to make this general.
>>
I'm working on a trio that combines Bitches Brew-esque jamming with stoner metal. The trio provides the basis for the band as we openly collaborate with other musicians to improvise long-form compositions (the two musicians I'm working with are trained in jazz). I'm not sure if this will be a studio-only band or a live one as well, since the drummer is super busy with other projects.
>>
>>70253707
A /band/ general would be great for people to discuss projects, but for releases, we already have /bandcamp/ and /soundcloud/ generals.
>>
File: Robert Plant.jpg (277KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Robert Plant.jpg
277KB, 2000x1000px
Working with a drummer. Making some really heavy shit. Alternative/desert rock/Indie sound going on. Problem is we can't find a singer. Anyone know how to find people who can sing with power and emotion? Everyone we try is flat and boring. I need a David Crosby or Eddie Vedder type, not the David Lee Roth wannabes I keep meeting.
>>
>>70253707
every second week it would be great
>>
>>70254711
>Eddie Vedder type

There were too many of those in post-grunge to make that fresh again. Have you thought about getting a John Garcia type?
>>
For an experimental electro/acoustic duo, how much would stage presence matter? Or should we think of ourselves more like DJs?

Me on sax/fx and him on synths/drum machines; to play we both have to stand still (because of the microphone I have to play in to).

My mate is more of a show off than me so we could do SOMETHING but we've also talked about getting some kind of light show to take the attention away from us and have something else visual to connect to the music.

Any advice?
>>
>>70255283
The way I would picture it, use the lights to enhance your presence on stage. For example, you could use a light that shines a shadow behind you, making you much larger and giving off an eerie vibe. Though, that's just an example, I'd definitely recommend using lights in some way shape or form to enhance your stage presence.
>>
File: Stone.jpg (47KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
Stone.jpg
47KB, 500x667px
>>70255165
I agree that there are too many pretenders running around. What I mean by Eddie Vedder type is someone with a lower voice and power and emotion, nothing boring. Maybe a voice like Tom Waits.

John Garcia is pretty fucking great. If I could find someone with pipes like that, I'd take them. I just like the lower end of the vocal range more for what I'm doing. I think it fits better.
>>
>>70255283
Stage presence is pretty important. I have seen my favorite band live, and they were awful because they just stood in place. I have seen local bands that can set the room on fire with energy. I know you are kind of nailed to the floor with a microphone, but lights might help.
>>
>>70253668
Me and my drummer buddy jammed over this past summer, occasionally inviting our bass player friend who sucked beyond ass at bass. Met this chick at our school who is amazing at bass, but only insists on doing covers, but I feel like I'm ready to move focus and start writing psychedelic stuff, she is also very religious and says that if she ever sees me doing psychedelics shes leaving, but i need her because she is very good at bass.
>>
>>70256111
There are other bassists out there. You don't need her, if she holding you back.
>>
>>70255680
Yeah definitely. Maybe some like Mark Lanegan from the Screaming Trees would work.
>>70256111
>>70256267
This. The free improv metal band has two guys who are also super good but really into psychedelics so I don't have that problem (one of the guys is religious, but more spiritual than fundamentalist). >>70253974 this is the project in question.
>>70255283
Saxophonists are known to be showmen so use that to your advantage. Also, work on lighting to accentuate the atmosphere.
>>
>>70253668
>>70254711

I'm the guy who needs the singer. My question is, when you get down to it, how do you meet people who sing?
>>
>>70256448
Craigslist, attending house shows where other musicians circle jerk each other, shed sessions, etc.
>>
Would anyone in So Cal. be willing to form a band with me and play the songs I've written. The songs are variations of different rock genres including krautrock, post-rock, shoegaze, post-hardcore, noise rock, and indie rock
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.