[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why british rock sucks so hard when compared to American's rock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: 1483617328666.jpg (342KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483617328666.jpg
342KB, 1280x960px
Why british rock sucks so hard when compared to American's rock?
>>
File: faust.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
german rock>>>>>> all
>>
>>70235664
Because rock is an American genre.

That's simple.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 400x249px
Canadian rock is pretty bad
>glass tiger - if full house started a band
>cringe
>>
>>70236749
>Canadian rock is bad
A certain post-rock group comes to mind that provides an exception to this
>>
>>70236772
Rush
>>
>Why is [a nation whose glory was all Imperial] worse than [a nation whose glory started with a rag-tag rebellion] at rock music?
>>
>>70235664
That pic makes a cool album cover
>>
>>70235664
manic sucks?
>>
American rock is about hot women, drugs, partying and the wide open roads. British rock is about social and political commentary and being gloomy and sad(see: Radiohead)
>>
>>70237043
The founding fathers were illiterate, slave owning terrorists who fucked up their country irreparably through their sheer stupidity. That's rock 'n' roll.
>>
>>70238648
>illiterate
I'll agree with everything you said here but this. The founding fathers were not illiterate.
>>
File: wot.png (65KB, 818x766px) Image search: [Google]
wot.png
65KB, 818x766px
>>70235664
The birts do rock music so much better than Americans lmao
>>
>>70238545
american rock is sadder because it doesn't feel contrived in its sadness

also, britbongs wouldn't need as much social commentary if you had any idea that americans were on the right track in 1776. congrats to them on brexit tho, that'll end up one of the best things in their history
>>
File: Darius-Rucker.jpg (389KB, 1760x1875px) Image search: [Google]
Darius-Rucker.jpg
389KB, 1760x1875px
>>70238545
>British rock is about social and political commentary and being gloomy and sad

Oi, cunt! What the fuck are you on about?

Squeeze my lemon baby, till the juice runs down my leg. - Zeppelin

Feel like making love, feel like making love. - Bad Company

I give you heat, You say you're hungry, I give you meat. I suck your mind, You blow my head
Make love - Inside your bed - everybody get down make love. - Queen

Brown sugar, how come you taste so good. Brown sugar, just like a black girl should. - Rolling Stones

Sounds like an animal Panting to the beat
Groan in the pleasure zone Gasping from the heat; Gut-wrenching frenzy That deranges every joint I'm gonna force you at gun point
To eat me alive - Judas Priest
>>
>>70235664
Because you have Shit taste
British rock is much better
>>
>>70238785
He's probly thinking The Jam, Smiths, clash? Punk,
>>
>>70238648
>fucked up their country irreparably through their sheer stupidity

by granting infringable civil liberties to the citizens of said country that still hold true nearly 300 years later? enjoy your country with no guns and no freedom of speech fag0t
>>
>>70238764
>>70238791
Stop fooling yourselves.

I don't think british rock is bad, but american's rock is indeed better.
>>
>>70238865
Britain had all the best prog and post punk bands that alone makes them better
>>
Britain had the best rock bands out of every genre except for Punk which is the worse one of them all.
>>
America has Velvet Underground and Pere Ubu

Britain has Bring Me The Horizon and Coldplay

Fuck out of here.
>>
>>70238882
Prog rock isn't rooted in blues or country.
Punk was born in america. Without it post-punk wouldn't even exist.
>>
>>70238943
>Britain had the best rock bands out of every genre
The Velvet Underground was the best rock band of all time.
>>
>>70238958
America has BOTDF, BrokenCyde, Linkin Park, Mindless Self Indulgence, I Killed the Prom Queen, Millionaires, Kid Rock...
>>
>>70236782
post-rock, not prog (although Rush are great).
>>
>>70238818
Yeah, he was definitely think about British rock post 70's
>>
>>70239116
They are still better than BMTH and Coldplay
>>
>>70235664
The U.K. Is an objectively terrible country but even I have to admit that their shoe gaze is better than any other country's
>>
>>70238846
True, but I gotta admit, the Founding Fathers were pretty rock 'n' roll.
>>
>>70239170
If you've got atrocious taste maybe.
>>
>>70239002
That's your opinion, and while I love the Velvet Underground, I think the Gerogerigegege is the greatest band of all time.
>>
>>70239172
Ireland isn't the UK.
>>
>>70239242
thats bad
>>
>>70239264
Okay they might have had mbv but England still had ride
>>
American attempts at rock music is barely ever contrived compared to the UK scene.

Compare UK's Beatles, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson to US's Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa, and Captain Beefheart. UK's artsy "amazing" rock bands all made this conscious attempt at making music that is both poppy yet "high brow" through taking pop structures and having bits of other genres in there. The American artsy bands completely deconstructed the pop structures and cared more for their artistic vision than what others might necessarily make of the music.

Go a bit further and you can compare UK's post-punk to US's art-punk/post-punk scene. UK's scene was getting so pretentious that it really did seem like these guys had some kind of an inferiority complex for making punk music. For example This Heat was too pussy to go make a trip to Industrial Records, or The Pop Group didn't have musicians good enough to make a legit free jazz group inspired by dub rhythms. US' scene comparatively, had bands like Television which entailed two guys who initially sucked massive ass at guitar which encouraged them to further explore what they can learn to do on the instrument by practicing together, Richard Hell's music had angular jazzy inspired bits but the music was still overall very much punk, same with Pere Ubu's little jazz/electronic inflections/weirdly complex bits done on top of energetic actual punk music. The American bands never lost sight of who they are and what they are ultimately trying to do.

European Free Jazz forgot to have the lyrical and truly technical playing of the American stuff.

When UK got to house and techno they made them far more formulaic and less groovy in the case of house.

UK took US' raw, hard, emotional blues and turned it into a pristine caricature where a guy bends a note on a guitar slowly while making a funny face.

UK hard rock was vapid blues attempts with no innovation while US' Stooges influenced every big change post-70s in rock
>>
>>70238785
stones and zeppelin were ripping off american blues artists

bad company and judas priest were ripping off american buttrock like AC/DC

next?
>>
>>70239409
not AC/DC, Van Halen. sorry for the fuckup, but buttrock always bends my mind
>>
>>70236772
godspeed?
>>
>>70239409
Musically yes
Lyrically not at all
>>
>>70239512
uhhh no
>>
>>70239392
>UK's post-punk to US's art-punk/post-punk scene. UK's scene was getting so pretentious that it really did seem like these guys had some kind of an inferiority complex for making punk music.

Joy division is arguably the biggest post punk band of all time
>>
>American rock > UK rock

I never thought this was an unpopular opinion until I started browsing /mu/.
>>
File: IMG_2506.jpg (43KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2506.jpg
43KB, 500x373px
>>70238648
>The founding fathers were illiterate, slave owning terrorists who fucked up their country irreparably through their sheer stupidity.
image being this guy
>>
>>70239753
The conversation was never about popularity though. Not to mention that Joy Division made vapid boring music that has just "muh atmosphere" going for it. Just the sheer fact that they are the most popular post punk band of all time because of their sheer presentation as something more sophisticated when their approach was to make everything very repetitive with very little interesting happening only further proves my point about how overrated UK stuff is.
>>
>>70236749
Nahh Rush is chill
>>
>>70235664
I don't like British accents.
>>
>>70239454
Judas Priest's 70's work was edgy heavy metal until Killing Machine and Bad Company was more likely ripping off Aerosmith than Van Halen, since Van Halen didn't release their first album until 1978.
>>
>>70238764
>"lmao" as proof
kys
>>
>>70239277
I know, and I've come to accept it. I just tell normies my favorite band is Led Zeppelin (which I still love despite getting deeper into music).
>>70239328
Don't forget England also has Slowdive.
>>
>>70239993
>RYM's and other aggregate ratings site's top 100 full of UK rock bands with a couple american ones
>The best selling rock artists of all time are mostly from UK
Really?
>>
>>70240036
>Joy Division made vapid boring music

alright listen here you fucking nigger
>>
>>70239571
The fuck are you talking about
>>
>>70239409
>american buttrock like AC/DC

>inb4 b-but it's american styled
Not an argument
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.