[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.strawpoll.me/12068521

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2105.jpg (885KB, 1350x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2105.jpg
885KB, 1350x540px
http://www.strawpoll.me/12068521
>>
>>70226605
Those are all great albums.

No need to see which is best.
>>
>>70226668
We do.
>>
Blonde on Blonde > Pet Sounds > Sgt. Pepper > TVU&N > Piper At The Gates of Dawn > Odyssey and Oracle > Are You Experienced > Forever Changes > Captain Beefheart Fucks This Trout Like A Cunt

not familiar enough with jazz to comfortably put A Love Supreme anywhere.
>>
>>70226682
You should be working on your own music instead of worrying about everyone elses
>>
>>70226907
wtf I hate wasting time on /mu/ now
>>
File: IMG_5799.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5799.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>70226900
>The Beatles over Velvet Underground

/r/eddit alert
>>
>>70226907
I'm Trent Reznor you pathetic cunt.
>>
>>70226605
Trout mask replica > A love supreme >Blonde on Blonde > velvet underground > Pet Sounds > Piper At The Gates of Dawn > Odyssey and Oracle > Are You Experienced >Sgt. Peppers > Forever Changes
>>
>>70227016
>style over substance
avant-teen alert
>>
>>70226605
>Nobody voted TVU&N yet
Is this pleb hours?
>>
>>70227145
>beatles
>substance
>>
>>70227173
t. I don't know music theory
>>
File: 1483227247284.jpg (651KB, 1988x1988px) Image search: [Google]
1483227247284.jpg
651KB, 1988x1988px
>The Beatles beating Captain Beefheart
>>
>>70227193
>this slight chromaticism qualifies for substance
>>
>>70226605
If you choose any album that's not TVU&N, BoB or TMR you are everything that's wrong with /mu/.
>>
>>70227358
Hi scaruffi
>>
>>70227229
>slight
>>
>>70227358
More like the opposite

Pseudo-intellectual elitist avant-teens need to leave.
>>
>>70227358
>Including Blonde on Blonde on that list

lol, as if it was any better than the rest of the albums on that list
>>
>>70227379
But /mu/ IS for avant-teens. It always have been this way you retarded newfag.

If you want to discuss pop music go to reddit or tumblr.
>>
>>70227433
I don't think you've been here very long my dude.
>>
>>70227145
>the beatles
>substance
john cale had more substance than those 4 talentless hacks
>>
>>70227456

>"They were a driving force in the velvets, and made us work harder and got us on our bikes. Rubber soul was where you were forced to deal with them as something other than a flash in the pan. It was rich in ideas and i loved the way george managed to find a way to include all those indian instruments. Lou and i had tried to work with the sarinda. We were only playing it just to get a noise but i realised you could play melody on the sitar as good as Norwegian wood. Norwegian woond had this atmosphere of being very acid. I don't think anybody has ever got that sound or that feeling as well at the Beatles."
-John Cale
>>
>>70227016
Hah, this place is so predictable. Knew that was gonna rustle some jim jams, but hear me out.

For the record I'm a fan of every one of those albums, so the fact that TVU is still relatively high on the list should show how I'm still fairly fond of it. However I can't help but feel that album and band's importance is a bit overstated in places like this, and "underground" music circles in general. If you compare it to Sgt. Pepper sort of on a 1 to 1 scale in terms of innovation it seems to win handily, but I think that's a bit of an oversimplification given their contextual places in music history. TVU were experimenting with proto-punk/proto-noise (some people say even early Dreampop but I've always though that was a bit of a stretch) set to coarse subject matters like hard drugs and fetish culture, yet they were primarily speaking to an audience of a few thousand hip new yorkers and art circles were such matters were hardly out of place. Meanwhile The Beatles were bringing indian instrumentation/drones and tape loop sound collages with lyrics on LSD (obviously a softer drug in the social consciousness, but still edgy nonetheless), and societal disillusionment (done in a wonderfully poetic way that rivals the very best songwriters of that time) to millions across the entire fucking world.

So I don't know. Their relative importance in terms of innovation is always a bit hard to place for me, and disregarding that The Beatles were just by far better instrumentalists/songwriters. Because of that I've got to give Sgt. Pepper the upper hand there, and I'm not even getting into it's importance for pushing the shift towards album oriented rock (I won't claim like some that it's the first psuedo-concept album, but it's certainly what popularized it) or how I think Tomorrow Never Knows from Revolver is more forward thinking than anything on TVU&N even compared directly (which is fucking insane for the most popular artist in the entire world).
>>
>>70227369
He's clearly not Scaruffi
Scaruffi would take A Love Supreme over Banana and BoB any day, maybe over TMR.
>>
>>70227408
Shitaste
>>
>>70227145
>beatles
>substance
>>
>>70227480
>implying
john cale was a disciple of la monte young and played with real musicians like john cage
the beatles are just some hacks who happened to discover the perfect mix between pop shit and ((((musical complexity))))
>>
>>70227499
holy fucking shit dude

TMR > TVU&N > BOB > PS > Sgt. > ALS > Piper > Are You Experienced
Haven't listened to the other two.
>>
>>70227569
yeah god forbid I actually try and make an argument to support my ranking instead of just submitting to the "lol beetles suck dood" meme.
>>
>>70227560
Dat damage control
>>70227544
See >>70227193
>>
Pet Sounds > TVU > Dylan > Beatles > Trout > Forever Changes > Piper > Are you Experienced > Oddyssey
If I had to put ALS in there itd be above Dylan
>>
>>70227145
>fucking pop music
>substance
Get a load of this guy
>>
>>70227193
>implying you do and still like the beatles
big hue
>>
>>70227613
http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/awp/awp.html
>>
>>70227379
go back to your grimes threads you cancer
>>
>>70227612
Lol, TVU is pop music as well.
>>
In The Court of The Crimson King
>>
>>70227193
>implying the beatles knew music theory
:^)
>>
>Are You Experienced
Not nearly as good as Electric Ladyland...
>>
Reminder if blonde on blonde TVU&N or A love supreme aren't ur top choice ur a pleb.
>>
>>70227444
You're a meme.
>>
>>70227677
They didn't, which is why their natural ear for it is so fucking impressive.

I'm not that guy btw, but a lot of the people ITT are really unfairly downplaying The Beatles especially by parroting the same meme criticisms without actually expanding on them in any kind of an interesting way.
>>
>>70227702
Reminder that if you can't explain technically why blonde on blonde TVU&N or A love supreme aren't ur top choice ur a pleb.
>>
>>70227747
everything they did someone else did about half a year to a year ahead of them.
They just put some more digestable melodies over shit everyone else already did
dont worry, one day you will realize how cringe you sound
>>
>>70227800
>everything they did someone else did about half a year to a year ahead of them.
Like what?
>>
>>70227499
Good answer tbqh
>>
>>70227815
Rubber soul - Mr. Tambourine Man
Sgt. Pepper - Pet sounds
The Beatles - Freak Out
Abbey Road - We're Only In It For The Money

Revolver did its own thing I suppose but all that album did was inspire the pop production that inevitable led to stadium rock and glam rock so i don't care
>>
>>70227145
>Triggered over The Beatles
pleb alert
>>
>>70227609
Switch TVU&N and Dylan and this is correct
>>
>>70227920
>Rubber soul - Mr. Tambourine Man
See A HArd Day's Night
>Sgt. Pepper - Pet sounds
See: Rubber Soul
>Abbey Road - We're Only In It For The Money
See Revolver

Try again.
>If I don't like it, it's not important
Nah.

Remember this:
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70160275
You stopped posting when you got REKT
>>
>>70227499
The Beatles still stuck to rules unlike TVU
>>
>>70228002
What rules?
>>
>>70228014
I think he means Verse Corus Verse Corus, 4/4, lyrical content and all that jazz
>>
File: 1483190648498.gif (659KB, 277x200px) Image search: [Google]
1483190648498.gif
659KB, 277x200px
>>70226605
1. TVU&N = BoB = TMR = ALS
5. Piper = Are You Experienced
7. Beatles = Beach Boys = Love = Zombies
>>
>>70228052
>Verse Corus Verse Corus
Tomorrow Never Knows doesn't follow it, it has no chorus and no chord changes
>4/4
Many Beatles songs change time signature, such as Happiness is a Warm Gun or Here comes The Sun
>lyrical content
The Beatles have songs that range from confessional self-doubt (Help!) to animals (Piggies) to abstract poetry (Come Together)
>>
>>70227800
>everything they did someone else did about half a year to a year ahead of them.
Hardly, and I tried to explain a bit why I don't think that even matters here >>70227499

And then even still I think The Beatles did a lot of the things you may be able to attribute to others with so much more finesse and refinement. Innovation is important but songwriting and composing shouldn't just be viewed as a race. The Beatles were ahead of the game in how they put songs and albums together and that shouldn't be annoyed.

And don't condescend, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna go BACK to being an avant-teen. I've thought through this shit and have my own reasons for preferring what I prefer.

>>70227920
Okay this is fucking ridiculous. Most of those are hardly related

The only one you might have an argument for there is Pet Sounds, which is why I did originally rank it over Sgt. Pepper here >>70226900

>all that album did was inspire the pop production that inevitable led to stadium rock and glam rock
What in the actual fuck would lead you to beleive that? That is an absolutely baffling assertion.
>>70228002
Fucking what? What rules did TVU break that The Beatles didn't, other than being a bit more open to dissonance in their music?
>>70228052
But TVU DID stick basic pop song structure for most of their songs, and it's not like the Beatles strictly adhered to that format either.
>>
>>70228096
*shouldn't be ignored
>>
File: 1460211433771.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1460211433771.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>70228096
>>70228089
>>70227987
>>70227499
>>70227480
>this is what plebs actually believe
>>
>>70228143
Great argument.
>>
>>70228143
>John Cale is a pleb
Which experimental rock band were you in that revolutionized music?
>>
>>70228089
>The Beatles
>Beatles
>Many Beatles songs
>Here Comes the Sun

We're talking about TVU vs. sgt. peppers
>>70228096
>implying TVU didn't do anything lyrically radical
>>
>>70228239
>We're talking about TVU vs. sgt. peppers
A Day in the Life, Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite and Sgt Pepper title track all do not have a chorus in the traditional scene. The lyrical themes are all unusual, and there are some time signature shifts (see Lucy In The Sky switch from 6/8 to 4/4)
>>implying TVU didn't do anything lyrically radical
The Rolling Stones and many blues artists did the same thing before.
>>
>>70228239
>>implying TVU didn't do anything lyrically radical
Where the fuck did I say that?

Did you think that's what I meant by "pop song structure" because if so, that's embarrassing. In my long ass blog post I openly conceded that they dealt with more radical subject matters (but not even as vastly different as people ramble about), I was just saying that given the audience they were performing to I'm more impressed by The Beatles innovations in that area.

And again The Beatles were just straight up better songwriters. I know I'm skipping a year ahead here, but compare Happiness is a Warm Gun to Heroin. They're both dealing with the same subject matter, but Lennon tackles it with so much more intrigue and subtlety. Yes TVU might have done it first in that instance, but I'm arguing that the Beatles did it BETTER.
>>
>>70228291
>songs about beating women up, a full detailed description of taking drugs and a sex slave

[citation needed]
>>
>>70226605
Voting for anything other than Pet Sounds is a sin
>>
>>70228417
https://folkworks.org/columns/how-can-i-keep-from-talking-ross-altman/21-columns/how-can-i-keep-from-talking-ross-altman/45040-domestic-violence-in-the-blues
https://www.thefix.com/content/10-vintage-drug-songs91464?page=all
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/d/davis-blues.html
>>
>>70228398
>a bit more open to dissonance

ok my man
>>
>>70228435
your birth was a sin
>>
>>70228417
>songs about beating women up

lel, ole Johnny "if she's bitter, better hit her" Lennon has them beat there with Run For Your Life and Getting Better.

And if you're trying to make the argument that TVU talked about edgy subject matters before old blues and folk artists you're out of you're fucking mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ko2VXpW7_g

>>70228464
okay, maybe more than "a bit more" with stuff like WLWH, but I'm focusing on TVU&N here.
>>
>>70228498
Wow thats a bit rude
>>
Pet Sounds is my personal favorite of these, and my all time #2 or #1 depending on mood.

BUT, if you don't pick A Love Supreme, which is objectively the best of them all, you're delusional. It has the highest display of technique, the most varied rhythms and structure, but most importantly is all the more organic and emotionally complex than everything else here by using its large variety of songwriting on it. Not even Hendrix's most emotional guitar work can come close to what Coltrane achieves with a sax on ALS.
>>
>>70227987
A hard days night has a single good song
The idea of rubber soul is what influenced pet sounds, not any of the musical innovation
and saying zappa was influenced at all by the beatles is so embarrassing, listen to schoenberg

>Nah.
You are worse than I am. Glam rock is not art
except maybe meatloaf, he's cool
>>
>>70228096
>>70228096
>harldy related
ya it may look that way if you are retarded
>>
>>70226605
Where's ITCOTCK you fucking faggot
>>
>>70228843
>A hard days night has a single good song
Not relevant
>The idea of rubber soul is what influenced pet sounds, not any of the musical innovation
The idea of Pet Sounds is what influenced Sgt Pepper, not any of the musical innovation
>and saying zappa was influenced at all by the beatles is so embarrassing
Strawman and Goalpost shifting
>Glam rock is not art
Why not? Of course it is.
>>
>>70227207
can i haev the names of all those records?
Ik most but there are some i dont
>>
>>70229175
http://www.scaruffi.com/music/best100.html
>>
>>70227207
Scruffy's taste offends me, delete this
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.