[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Lester Bangs a good critic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: lester bangs.png (1021KB, 1200x832px) Image search: [Google]
lester bangs.png
1021KB, 1200x832px
Was Lester Bangs a good critic?
>>
>"Kick Out the Jams" sounds like Barret Strong's "Money" as recorded by the Kingsmen. The lead on "Come Together" is stolen note-for-note from the Who's "I Can See for Miles." "I Want You Right Now" sounds exactly (down to the lyrics) like a song called "I Want You" by the Troggs, a British group who came on with a similar sex-and-raw-sound image a couple of years ago (remember "Wild Thing"?) and promptly disappeared into oblivion, where I imagine they are laughing at the MC-5.
>>
Robert Christgau > Lester Bangs
>>
>>70201601
Damn. Bangs really sucked, then.
>>
>>70201467
Funny thing is that he later changed his mind about MC5

And yes he was a good critic.
>>
>>70201198
Scaruffi-lite
>>
File: 363201212_640.jpg (22KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
363201212_640.jpg
22KB, 640x360px
>>70201198
He's everything this faggot wants to be
>>
>>70201198
He was coarse, insultive, vicious and didn't give a fuck about other people's opinions. So yes, he was a great critic.
>>
I don't know. You tell me. Was Creem worth reading back in the 1970s?
>>
Bangs actually wrote detailed essays on albums instead of lazy, two-sentence insults like Christgau, also he did eventually warm to Black Sabbath and his review of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a classic of music journalism.

Of course dying young probably helped his image and that he didn't turn into a senile lunatic giving As to Soulja Boy albums.
>>
i never heard of him so probably not
>>
>>70201198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqo6scHOwc
He's entertaining both to read and listen to, I think he's a good critic.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.