[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Organ Music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 3989716.png (230KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
3989716.png
230KB, 600x600px
What are some great organ pieces? I fell in love with Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor and I'm looking for more stuff like it. After discovering I liked that I found a song by Emerson Lake and Palmer called "The Three Fates" which also has some amazing organ in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8IlIthM-Og It's my favorite song right now by far, I can't get enough of it.
>>
also by emerson lake and palmer, check out "The Barbarian"
>>
>>70193104
Actually listening to that right now! haha

That whole self titled album is fucking insane.
>>
File: cover_40411718102008.jpg (95KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
cover_40411718102008.jpg
95KB, 500x497px
>>70193129
I'd consider it my third favorite after Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery. I'd agree that debut has Emerson's most impressive ketboard work though.

You might like some of Rick Wakeman's solo work too, I'd reccomend The Six Wives of Henry VIII, it's a completely instrumental album.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Emerson, Lake & Palmer [Cotillion, 1971]

This opens with "The Barbarian," a keyboard showpiece (not to slight all the flailing and booming underneath) replete with the shifts of tempo, time, key, and dynamics beloved of these bozos. Does the title mean they see themselves as rock and roll Huns sacking nineteenth-century "classical" tradition? Or do they think they're like Verdi portraying Ethiopians in Aida? From such confusions flow music as clunky as these heavy-handed semi-improvisations and would-be tone poems. Not to mention word poems. C

Pictures from an Exhibition [Cotillion, 1972]

This cover version of Moussorgsky's mouldy oldie does have a big new beat, but you can't dance to it, and the instrumentation seems a bit spare. Anyway, the truth is that I don't even listen to the original much. D+

Trilogy [Cotillion, 1972]

The pomposities of Tarkus and the monstrosities of the Moussorgsky homage clinch it--these guys are as stupid as their most pretentious fans. Really, anybody who buys a record that divides a . . . composition called "The Endless Enigma" into two discrete parts deserves it. C-
>>
Brain Salad Surgery [Manticore, 1973]

Is this supposed to be a rebound because Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics? Because Certified Classical Composer Alberto Ginastera--who gets royalties, after all--attests to their sensitivity on the jacket? Because the sound is so crystalline you can hear the gism as it drips off the microphone? C-

Works: Volume 2 [Atlantic, 1978]

When the world's most overweening "progressive" group makes an album less pretentious than its title, galumphing respectfully through Scott Joplin and Meade Lux Lewis, that's news. But is it rock and roll? C+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]
>>
>>70193462
>>70193485

This guy can fuck off. What a faggot.
>>
>>70193295
Definitely going to check this out, I'm a huge fan of Yes and Rick. Thanks anon!
>>
Progfag status:

Told [ ]

The Told and the Beautiful [X]
>>
>>70193649
Giant prog fag here, not even sure what this means.
>>
File: Keith-Emerson-487937.jpg (34KB, 590x389px) Image search: [Google]
Keith-Emerson-487937.jpg
34KB, 590x389px
>>70193066
bump, I need some organ music anons. please.
>>
Van der Graaf Generator has some pretty cool organ playing. check Squid 1/Squid 2/Octopus. It's a bnous track on H to He Who Am the Only One.
>>
>>70194090
Oh do they? I've been wanting to listen to their stuff for a long time now, I guess this is the perfect time for it. Thanks anon, I'll check out those songs.
>>
>>70194110
they're actually one song. Also chech out their cover of George Martin's BBC Theme One on Pawn Hearts
>>
File: 1439339809852.png (1013KB, 1128x826px) Image search: [Google]
1439339809852.png
1013KB, 1128x826px
Got to love the 3rd movement (I get up I get down) from Yes' Close To The Edge... when that fuckin organ hits...

https://youtu.be/GNkWac-Nm0A?t=11m48s
>>
File: hymns spheres.jpg (70KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
hymns spheres.jpg
70KB, 450x450px
Check out Keith Jarrett's Hymns/Spheres - a double album of improvisations on a massive German church organ. Moods range from ambient and baroque to droney and dissonant. Here's one of the more beautiful movements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEr4TrP14c
>>
>>70194155
Will do!

>>70194243
For reallll. That I don't even have to click the link to know what you're talking about, it's fucking legendary.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.