[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean when people say prog is "wanky?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ELP_-_Brain_Salad_Surgery.jpg (140KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ELP_-_Brain_Salad_Surgery.jpg
140KB, 500x500px
What does it mean when people say prog is "wanky?"
>>
it's just a lazy way to dismiss compositionally/ technially complex music without putting any effort in

see also: 'soulless', 'boring'
>>
>>70128689
it means the artist is showing off or trying too hard. noodly filler guitarwork or pretentious forced lyrics are the big offenders in prog
>>70128717
this guy has no idea what hes talking about
>>
it means they've never actually listened to it
>>
>>70128733
So... people are just jealous that the musician can perform extremely well so they say it's "wanky" and "pretentious"

got it
>>
>>70128738
/thread
>>
>>70128779
>song doesn't need a 10 min free form noodling guitar solo
>artist does it anyway because LOL IM SO EPIC DUDDDE ARE WE PROG OR WHAT??
>>
>>70128733
I will say that I dont like how every prog band feels the need to make every song a 12 minute odyssey. Sometimes there's just way too much dumb needless filler and the same emotion or impact could be achieved if it was half as long

and this is coming from a huge prog fan
>>
>>70128922
I have to agree. Although, there are longer songs that really work. ELP's Tarkus is one example.
>>
>>70128945
Yeah, Tarkus is amazing but that's because it's able to hold your interest for those 20 minutes and it stays creative the whole time. A song needs to earn that 20 minute run time and a lot of prog just does not do that
>>
Because it's marturbatory music. The musicians are more focused on displaying their skills and telling themselves they are virtuosos instead of making actual fun music that people can listen to.

I don't agree that all prog is that way but I can see how it's perceived that way. I don't think there was anything as closed technically when prog came out.

THIS is wank music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3JhKXJDTM
>>
>>70128689
Masturbatory display of technique that adds nothing to the song itself.
>>
>>70128689
they whip it out and start wanking
>>
File: nitro.jpg (47KB, 511x345px) Image search: [Google]
nitro.jpg
47KB, 511x345px
>>70129011
Does this look like a prog band to you?
>>
>>70129212
I haven't said it was a prog band I said it was wank music. Learn to read.
>>
Compositional choices that serve the artist's ego above and before the music itself.

Anyone that thinks "technical ability" is in any way an indicator of quality is a fucking moron who literally shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.
>>
>>70129226
Since we're talking about prog here, you should've provided an example of a prog song or a band you dislike.
>>
>>70129267
You're not my boss faggot
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.