[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manic Street Preachers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: 3425453425345354.jpg (46KB, 628x622px) Image search: [Google]
3425453425345354.jpg
46KB, 628x622px
What do you think of the Manic Street Preachers?

I really like this album despite it being kinda bloated
>>
I couldn't help but think that some of the songs on that album had a lot of Queen and Guns n Roses to it. You agree?
>>
I'll come back to "Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart" now and again, but on the whole, I don't really think of them very much.
>>
>>70106387
I hate the holy bible, I don't like Richie, some of the later music was better.
they are a depressing band as they are a name drop for uk djs when no-one really cares
>>
>>70106387
Really inconsistent, THB and EMG are 9/10. the rest ranges from good to mediocre
>>
>>70106387
The Holy Bible is amazing, the rest is kinda meh
>>
Holy Bible is a seminal album. 10/10 easily. Personally affected me on an incredibly deep level when I first heard it. Everything Must Go is also terrific. 9/10 and deeply moving.

They're actually pretty consistent and have been putting out a steady flow of 7-8/10 albums for the past ten years. One of the best U.K. Bands of the past 25 years.
>>
>>70106387
Manic Street Preachers' albums are always hit and miss. They're basically where you go if you want britpop with more variety.

That being said they're probably the best singles band I can think of, and the Holy Bible is at least a 9/10 for me. The most artistically relevant they've ever been
>>
How would you rank their albums

>The Holy Bible
Their most acclaimed album for a reason, genuinely dark and disturbing
>Everything Must Go
The polar opposite of THB, but still fantastic, full of optimism
>This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
EMG part 2, not as strong overall, but the singles are great
>Journal for Plague Lovers
THB part 2 basically
>Lifeblood
Underrated, sounds like Keane or Coldplay but better
>Send Away the Tigers
decent pop rock
>Generation Terrorists
Definiton of inconsistent, and it' 70 fucking minutes long
>Futurology
Some nice songs, but the concept was not executed very well
>Know Your Enemy
This one is a real mess, the quality of songs is even more over the place than GT
>Rewind the Film
Interesting idea, but it's nnot very engaging apart from title track
>Gold Against the Soul
More streamlined debut without any real highlights
>Postcards from a Young Man
Pretty uninspired pop rock, actually the first album I heard by them
>>
>>70108048
Their first 5 records and JFPL are the only ones worth listening to, after that just cop the singles

Also imo you way underrated their punky, glammy first two records, I think Generation Terrorists is their second best album. Just look at the tracks on it
>Slash N Burn
>Natwest Barclays Midlands Lloyds
>Born to End
>Motorcycle Emptiness
>You Love Us
>Love's Sweet Exile
>Little Baby Nothing
>Stay Beautiful
>Repeat
>Methadone Pretty
>>
>>70108232
Yeah, it has some of their best songs, but doesn't work so well as whole
IT could amke a good 40 minute album
>>
>>70108275
the other tracks aren't bad, a few of them are just a little unremarkable

there's a reason Forever Delayed did so well though. Putting on a Manic Street Preachers compilations are pretty much the best thing to come out of britpop
>>
THB and EMG are two of my favorite rock albums and GATS has some good moments but everything else they've done is pretty uninteresting

What are some of your favorite tracks off THB? I've been coming back to Archives of Pain and Mausoleum a lot lately
>>
>>70108549
I like it as a "one sitting" kind of thing.

How a britpop band could make an album that bleak, yet energetic is amazing
>>
Manics had only 2 britpop albums
The rest is punk or alternative rock
>>
>>70108549
Archives of Pain is incredible.

>Sterilize rapists
>All I preach is extinction

And then that minute long guitar solo. Fuuuuuck.
>>
>>70106387
4st 7lbs is one of my favorite songs ever. It really is a fantastic look into the mind of a person with an eating disorder. I can't always listen to it because sometimes it can be pretty triggering.
>>
>>70108587
Disagree.

Manics are one of the only good britpop bands. A hell of a lot of their discography has definite britpop in there
>>
>>70108662
They're pretty varied. Enough that I don't think you can categorize their whole career, even the latter half, into one genre or label.
>>
>>70108713
they spin through several influences in one song, never mind an album

one of the things that is great about the manics is their variety
>>
>>70106387
hey, jenny saville painted that. too bad the music sucks.
>>
Underappreciated band. Like the other anon said, they're pretty damn consistent. Lifeblood is a fantastically produced synthpop album with great moody, subtle guitar work. Journal For Plague Lovers is almost on THB levels. Know Your Enemy works really well as a collection of songs, most of them are really good and showcase a great array of influences. Seriously, their only "bad" album is Postcards.

>>70108048
>Gold doesn't have highlights
>What is Yourself, Sleepflower, Life Becoming a Landslide, Roses in the Hospital, Gold Against the Soul, La Tristessa Durera, From Despair to Where

Definitely one of the best UK bands. James Bradfield is criminally underrated, as a guitarist, singer and songwriter.
>>
>>70108981
Jenny Saville herself approved the album, that makes you a filthy plen
>>
>>70108981
She also painted the JFPL cover
>>
>>70109016
she's a great painter, but her taste in music is questionable.
>>
>>70108981
lmao she's not a very significant or good painter desu

suits the music but that's about it. I've never liked the artwork for THB
>>
>>70106442
It's post-punk/punk rock with gothic undertones, what are you on about? The vocals sound a bit GnR, but that's basically it.
>>
>>70109042
wtf i hate saville now
>>
>>70109001
Agreed that Bradford is criminally underrated. Great guitarist and excellent singing through his career.
>>
>>70109042
>not very good painter
Why? She's technically proficient and has her own, instantly identifiable style, despite wearing her influences on her sleeve.
>>
>>70109083
Meant Bradfield obv
>>
>>70109081
>>70109085
she's technically proficient but that's all she has going for her. Her identifiable style relies on a tired aesthetic that's been around for centuries
>>
>>70109106
which is what? please, enlighten me.
>>
>>70109148
you mean her "anti-beauty" schtick?

you must know literally nothing about art history
>>
>>70109180
>if you don't know art history, you're not allowed to have an opinion
>i can dictate what is "good" or "bad" because i have more art history knowledge
thanks for confirming my suspicion that you're a snob.
>>
>>70109106
>>70109180
I'd say her aesthetic is a bit more than mere "anti-beauty". Her drawnings also have some shock value and a really hospital-like, clinical mood to them. Some of them can also be fairly moving.
>>
>>70109220
then don't fly into a thread spouting shit, is all I can teach you
>>70109232
yeah she's not a bad painter, and some of her pieces certainly have value, I've just never been a massive fan of her artwork

desu I don't think Manics have ever had very good artwork apart from their early singles
>>
>>70109277
>she's a great painter
>she's not!
>tell me why
>you clearly have no art history knowledge
yes, i was spouting shit.
>>
>>70109277
I didn't like her style at first, thought it was a bit sickening desu but no one can deny her work is pretty unique

I like the fact that the Manics always put effort in their artwork. Some of it is a tad hit or miss but overall they have their own consistent aesthetic.

Also, I always found interesting that their logo font from the early years is the same font as Nirvana's.
>>
>>70109310
see>>70108981

>>70109316
yeah, they've had some decent covers over the years, though I think like most bands have they become a little lazier as they go on
>>
File: 1479489521335.jpg (135KB, 569x422px) Image search: [Google]
1479489521335.jpg
135KB, 569x422px
>>70106387
>Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart
>>
>>70109444
again, like pretty much all political music, it has to be taken within historical context
>>
>>70109495
so it is world really would fall apart?
>>
>>70109522
I don't know, it's a pretty exaggerated sentiment

fairly sure James admitted that they realised that their faux-communist ideals didn't really work anymore, and thus dropped it
>>
>>70109367
what does the shit music have to do with my art history knowledge, anon?
>>
>>70109544
>faux communist
They're actually one of the few bands that probably knew their shit and justified being edgy, pretentious fucks about it. Holy Bible is as edgy as it gets, but it's one of the few cases where the edgyness just works.

It probably was just Richie pushing the extremism tho James always seemed too chill to bother
>>
James always delivered Richeys words with incredible conviction. It just worked and felt authentic.

>I am an architect
>They call me a butcher

Fucking chills.
>>
WHO'S RESPONSIBLE YOU FUCING ARE

Such a great part
>>
when i was in middle school i was all about generation terrorist/everything must go/this is my truth tell me yours

very underrated group imo. stylistically they can be a bit cheesy but the songwriting is just solid.
>>
>>70109722
I KNOW I BELIEVE IN NOTHING BUT IT IS MY NOTHING

that whole song is full of lyrics bordering on cheesy but the delivery is so damn good that they come off perfectly nonetheless
>>
>>70109624
It's not edgy if you actually kill yourself
>>
God dammit why did that faggot Richie have to an hero he could have grown into a fantastic poet
>>
>>70109624
yeah, I think the sincerity works in Manics' favour. they obviously knew what kind of band they were and what kind of art they wanted to make at different stages of their career
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (89KB, 578x913px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
89KB, 578x913px
>>70109829
>>70109849
Never forget

4REAL
>>
>>70109849
he did
>>
>>70109952
I mean yeah but I was saying like with published books and shit

A whole book of Richies' angsty wankery would be amazing
>>
>>70109886
>Slowdive are literally worse than Hitler
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>70106387
Best 90s Welsh band behind Super Furry Animals
>>
Their music is pretty great, their lyrics fluctuate in quality, Edwards was a total tool
>>
>>70110315
SFA are more consistent but Manics had better albums
>>
>>70110363
>Edwards was a total tool

How?
>>
>>70109054
MSP have a lot Glam influence.
>>
>>70113085
On their first two albums, yes. JDB basically learned guitar by playing the full Apetite of Destruction. On The Holy Bible, however, they abandoned that sound and got back to their main influences (Joy Division, Wire and Magazine mostly) because they felt they were becoming too fake and loosing their initial edge.
>>
Journal For Plague Lovers is one of my all time favourite albums, but everything else from them in that era hasn't been very good
>>
File: rAE4w3u.jpg (645KB, 1080x1920px)
rAE4w3u.jpg
645KB, 1080x1920px
Is the person on the cover pic related?
>>
>>70114186
Yeah Manics are extreme lefties, but I still like their music
>>
File: 06304541.jpg (82KB, 331x475px)
06304541.jpg
82KB, 331x475px
>>70108648
>that vocal sample in the beginning.
>>
>PCP is literally "FUCK POLITICALLY CORRECTESS: The Song"
>mfw the Manics predicted the harms of being over PC
>mfw the Manics were ahead of their times
>>
Love MSP, just stopped by to share.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.