[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of the New York Dolls?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: David Johansen.jpg (31KB, 460x592px) Image search: [Google]
David Johansen.jpg
31KB, 460x592px
What does /mu/ think of the New York Dolls?
>>
They ripped off The Rolling Stones 1000x better than Aerosmith could ever hope to!
>>
Boring as fuck.

They're basically KISS: dull rock n roll music, but 'notable' for their glam drag outfits, but critics and punks like them so they were supposed to have cred.
>>
File: dank side of the meme hot.png (106KB, 436x459px) Image search: [Google]
dank side of the meme hot.png
106KB, 436x459px
>>70097143
>>
>>70097254
imagine being this clueless
>>
>>70097103
They're like some pretty boring mixture of glam, punk and "classic rock."
I don't get it.
>>
Christgau has swallowed literal gallons of David Johansen's body fluids. He'd probably even let him fuck his wife. lyl.
>>
They're pretty HOT HOT HOT
>>
>>70097604
Christgau the antithesis of good music critique
>>
This shitty band started the entire idea of rock stars dressing in drag and wearing lipstick and eyeliner. Sure, it was novel and edgy in 1972, but by the late 80s the entire rock world had sorely come to regret the Pandora's Box they'd opened.
>>
>>70097293
What I said is the truth. People like you and Christgau are dinosaurs now. The walking dead.
>>
>>70097984
>implying that Christgau was ever good
>>
>>70098057
No but his shitty kind of music played itself out for a little while. Now it, and its politics, are dead.
>>
>>70098099
Dubs confirm. He's a great writer though.
>>
>>70098099
You mean 70s punk rock.

Then again, I recall one column where Christgau says that he does, admittedly, identify more with Bob Dylan and Jerry Garcia from a generational standpoint than the Clash.
>>
>>70098173
>You mean 70s punk rock

Yes. It served a purpose at one point in time as the voice of disaffected youth in malaise-ey 1970s America and Britain, but that was then and this is now.
>>
>>70098390
I agree. It was inevitable to come around to the punk idea... it had to be considered and carried through to its conclusion, but it was something that couldn't sustain itself. Given that it was an inevitable step in the ongoing dialectic, there is some punk of value, but not for the reasons it would pose, and it can never have any influence anymore on its terms.
>>
Nowadays, websites rather than punk rock are the voice of disaffected young people whose lives have been ruined by baby boomers, psycho feminists, MLP, the Jews, that sort of thing.
>>
Popular claim: Punk rock killed off those evil prog/dinosaur rock bands

Fact: Prog/dinosaur rock died simply because it ran out of gas, also punk didn't magically appear from nowhere in 1977, it had been building slowly since the start of the decade with groups like the New York Dolls and the Stooges.
>>
File: Ian Gillan.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ian Gillan.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
"Punk rock was largely a creation of the media. I went and saw Judas Priest during the height of punk rock and there were several thousand people in the crowd. Regardless of what journalists said, most kids stuck with the more conventional bands."
>>
>>70099059
Journalists have always creamed themselves over punk because they see it as more sociologically relevant and "artsy", also they're generally SJWs who can't identify with the white trash metal fanbase.

It's no different than folk/Americana singers, these guys are usually raging leftists and their music quite different from country music which is the real "voice" of rural whites.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.