[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's settle this once and for all, /mu/. Which band is better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: beatlevsbb.jpg (326KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
beatlevsbb.jpg
326KB, 504x504px
Let's settle this once and for all, /mu/. Which band is better?
>>
bumpin
>>
lol stop
>>
>>70084643
why?
>>
The Beatles are more consistently great, but Pet Sounds and Smile are better than anything the Beatles did
>>
>>70084696
Correction: Good Vibrations and Heroes And Villains are better than any Beatles songs. Smile was never really properly finished, and, in my opinion, is shit.

Pet Sounds was more amazing than most Beatles, but I'd say Rubber Soul and Abbey Road were as good.
>>
>>70084744
>Heroes And Villains
>better than any Beatles songs
Yikes
>>
The fact that
>>
Lol bump
>>
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Strawberry Fields Forever
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Hey Jude
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Come Together
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Yesterday
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Eleanor Rigby
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as I Am The Walrus
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Day In The Life
>Brian Wilson never wrote a song as good as Tomorrow Never Knows
>>
the beach boys at their best are better than the beatles at their best, beatles obviously released far more good material in total
>>
>>70084744
The fact that Smile never saw a proper release doesn't change the fact that the songs were written and released under different album titles.
>>
>>70085058
It. Was. Unfinished. Brian Wilson was affected by the bad sales of Pet Sounds + he listened to Strawberry Fields and went through some shit. The only good and finished songs from Smile were Good Vibrations (which I believe came from the Pet Sounds sessions) and Heroes And Villains. If he had finished it, it would've probably been the greatest album of all time.
>>
>>70085044
Good Vibrations alone is better than all of those
>>
>>70085044
yes you're right, it would be an incorrect implication to say Brian didn't write music better than all of those
learn how to use meme arrows you dork
>>
>>70085264
this
>>
>>70085249
>would've probably been

aw
pity it's still trash
>>
File: brian1965.jpg (165KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
brian1965.jpg
165KB, 600x610px
>>70085044
Mate.

Good Vibrations
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up
Heroes & Villains
I Get Around
Please Let Me Wonder
The Warmth Of The Sun
Cabin Essence
'Til I Die
Wonderful
Break Away
Caroline, No
Surfer Girl
Help Me Rhonda
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
Kiss Me Baby
Darlin'
Time To Get Alone
This Whole World
In My Room
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
You Still Believe In Me
I'm Waiting For The Day
All Summer Long
Wind Chimes
Let Him Run Wild
>>
>>70085249
The album ITSELF was unfinished, there were plenty of songs that were recorded and finished, all of the tracks had been recorded they just hadn't been arranged. How do you think bootlegs came about? How do you think segments of songs you'd never heard came to be even without the release of Smile? The entire fucking thing was recorded it was never fully arranged or produced. THAT was the issue. They were a month away from releasing it before Brian pulled the plug for the benefit of his sanity and the band.

Look through their 67-70 albums and you'll see, quite a few songs from SMiLE made their way on other records. Stop with this "It was unfinished so it was shit" nonsense. The only thing that had remained to be done was arranging the tracks into full fledged songs. The way Brian recorded everything was in a modular fashion so that he could easily clip and piece arrangements together through using separate tracks for instrumentation. THAT is what was really so innovative about Smile, and THAT is the reason the burden was so heavy on Brian. On top of the Beach Boys not really vibing with the new direction, hearing Strawberry Fields, and having his dad on his ass about how their music would never be good again. It didn't help that he viewed the fire that happened a block away from their studio while recording Mrs. O'Leary's Cow served as a very bad omen for Brian in his failing mental state.

The songs written and recorded, themselves, were still amazing pieces. The album as a WHOLE was never finished. That isn't to say every single song on Smile was unwritten or unfinished though. Also, Good Vibrations didn't come from Pet Sounds sessions, it was written AFTER Pet Sounds. It was an attempt to compromise the sound of the band by introducing Mike Love's formulaic rock with Brian's psychedelia. And it blew the fuck up. There were far more than "two" finished songs from Smile. Surf's Up, Our Prayer, Cabinessence, Vegatables, Wind Chimes, Wonderful...
>>
>>70085521
Taking into consideration the songs I listed, a lot of them found their way on other projects through the next 5 years. SMiLE as an album may have been unfinished, but that is absolutely no reason to say there was nothing noteworthy from it, and certainly no reason in my mind that it shouldn't still be revered for what it WOULD have been had Brian not pulled the plug.
>>
>>70085521
>there were plenty of songs that were recorded and finished
Like what?
>all of the tracks had been recorded
Incorrect
>How do you think segments of songs you'd never heard came to be even without the release of Smile?
Because Brian called up Van Dykle Pakrs and asked him to write new lyrics for the pieces that were never finished and never recorded
>"It was unfinished so it was shit" nonsense
Strawman.
>Surf's Up,
Not finished.
>Cabinessence,
No finished
>Vegatables,
Smile version not finished
>>
>>70085605
You clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. I'm not even going to bother.

>How do you think segments of songs you'd never heard came to be even without the release of Smile?
Because Brian called up Van Dykle Pakrs and asked him to write new lyrics for the pieces that were never finished and never recorded

So before 2004, and even before 2011 all of the bootlegs we'd heard of the FINISHED arrangements of SMiLE before ANY official release were finished by Brian Wilson himself? I very seriously, seriously doubt that. I find it more believeable someone leaked the reels and tapes that had the TRACK recordings on them and pieced them together as Brian would have to create their own versions of "SMiLE". Barnyard on the original SMiLE release had no vocals, yet from Bootlegs in the 80s and 90s, there's a YOUNG Brian Wilson singing a verse over it. Funny. Did he somehow modulate his voice and link up with someone who illegally bootlegged his material to finish the song?

I have a feeling you don't understand the difference between a track and a song.
>>
>>70085687
>You clearly have zero idea what you're talking about
Read: you know more than me and I am scared to discuss it whit you now.

>So before 2004, and even before 2011 all of the bootlegs we'd heard of the FINISHED arrangements of SMiLE before ANY official release were finished by Brian Wilson himself?
Show me the verse vocals on Do You like Worms, Look, Holidays and Child is Father of the Man on any bootlegs.

Go ahead, I'm waiting
>I find it more believeable someone leaked the reels and tapes that had the TRACK recordings on them and pieced them together as Brian would have to create their own versions of "SMiLE"
You don't seem to understand the history of Smile bootlegs.
Barnyard on the original SMiLE release had no vocals, yet from >Bootlegs in the 80s and 90s, there's a YOUNG Brian Wilson singing a verse over it.
Which bootleg specifically? I have them right here, I can verify this
>I have a feeling you don't understand the difference between a track and a song.
Explain it.
>>
File: 1456892073851.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456892073851.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>70084744
>and, in my opinion, is shit
>>
>>70085756
You're right, the songs you listed weren't finished. That isn't to say that there were others that were. Why do you think Our Prayer and Cabinnessence made it onto 20/20 in the year 1970? Why do you think Surf's Up was on the album of the same title? The songs were already more than ready to be released. They just weren't going to be released in a package deal called "SMiLE". They were broken up and spread out over their discography.

Also, the difference between a track and a song when referring to recording process is vastly different. A track is what you record and instrument on, thus it has its own TRACK to be placed in a mixing channel and be mixed by itself. Multiple tracks are mixed, and then put together in a MASTER which is a combination of all tracks with their effects and respective mixing, creating the overall completed sound.

A song is the result of mixing and mastering all tracks into one final track called a MASTER track.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm even bothering. It's not like it's unknown SMiLE wasn't fully finished. I'm just refuting your point that Good Vibrations and Hereos and Villains were the only two to be completed. They had recorded far more than what was found in the original 1967 SMiLE, it just didn't see the light of day.
>>
>>70085756
Also, SMiLE with a lack of all that was intended still sounds like a far more complete album than Smiley Smile.
>>
>>70085845
>Why do you think Our Prayer and Cabinnessence made it onto 20/20 in the year 1970?
Because *someone else* finished them. Why do you think we have various rough mixes from Brian's December 1966 Comp Reel that Brian made of Cabin Essence without vocals and with the sections out of order? Because it wasn't finished
>Why do you think Surf's Up was on the album of the same title?
Irrelevant. Check the recording history. Brian only recorded half of the song, and it had no vocals. It was up to everyone else to piece it together years alter.
>Also, the difference between a track and a song when referring to recording process is vastly different. A track is what you record and instrument on, thus it has its own TRACK to be placed in a mixing channel and be mixed by itself. Multiple tracks are mixed, and then put together in a MASTER which is a combination of all tracks with their effects and respective mixing, creating the overall completed sound.
Oh you are referencing multitrack recording? Yes I've been doing that for 20 years now. How is this relevant to our conversation?
>I'm just refuting your point that Good Vibrations and Hereos and Villains were the only two to be completed.
When did I say that?
>>70085895
No.
>>
>>70085942
How the hell does Smiley Smile sound ant more completed than SMiLE itself? Because it has vocals? Is that what you're going to tell me?
>>
>>70085964
Because half of Smile wasn't completed, but Smiley Smile was.
>>
>>70085845
>Why do you think Our Prayer and Cabinnessence made it onto 20/20 in the year 1970?
20/20 is the 15th studio album by American rock group the Beach Boys, released in February 1969.
>>
>calling Mrs O'Learys Cow "The Elements"
>other 3 elements tracks named properly
No
>>
>>70086192
>Wind Chimes was an Element
>I Love to Say Dada was an Element
No
>>
>>70086248
Yes they were, BriWi is my uncle he told me they are
>>
>>70084696
this.
>>
File: mccartney-wilson.jpg (13KB, 320x231px)
mccartney-wilson.jpg
13KB, 320x231px
YOU DECIDE

http://www.strawpoll.me/12021568
>>
at their peak the beach boys are better
>>
The Rolling Stones.
>>
>>70086814
Wilson dies first.
>>
BIIIIIIIICYCLE RIIIIIIIIDERRRRRRRR
>>
>>70085942
Well Brian did record the other half with his vocals in 67 during wild honey just nobody knew about it til like 2011
The ending coda (and best part) was definitely 71 though
>>
>>70088594
That recording wasn't intended for anything though. They don't even know why he did it.

Also, I'm still waiting for that anon to show me the bootleg Barnyard with Brian's lead vocals. I wonder if he can?
>>
>>70088641
Weren't some of the barnyard versions on bootlegs taken from that piano demo/interview thing where he's playing h&v, I'm in great shape, and barnyard continuously
>>
>>70088845
Yes, it would be fans syncing up that vocal to the instrumental Barnyard track.

But that anon claimed
>Barnyard on the original SMiLE release had no vocals, yet from Bootlegs in the 80s and 90s, there's a YOUNG Brian Wilson singing a verse over it. Funny. Did he somehow modulate his voice and link up with someone who illegally bootlegged his material to finish the song?
Which seems to imply he's heard Barnyard with the actual lead vocals. Which is impossible, since they were never recorded.
>>
>>70085521
this

fuck off with your Beatles shit
us>uk
>>
>>70084371
>The Beach Boys' songs consist of the entirety of Smile and nothing else
kek
>>
>>70089017
lel
>>
>>70085521
67-71 really, for surf's up

The recordings were never finished, very few were complete or close to it

Smile's release date was constantly being changed

If you listen to the bonus smile sessions discs you can hear an early version of good vibrations from the pet sounds sessions (may be the pet sounds sessions, I can't remember)
>>
>>70089096
leo
>>
>>70089211
>If you listen to the bonus smile sessions discs
I like how everyone thinks that The Smile Sessions was just one disc with like 4 bonus ones, rather than a 4 disc set of session recordings with 1 bonus disc of mono mixes and revisions.
>>
>>70084371
Music isn't a contest, friend.
>>
>>70089260
I did not mean to imply that, the first couple are recreations of the smile album, though not smile itself, modeled after the bw presents smile track listing that darian helped Brian choose in 2003 and the rest outtakes and unused snippits. Obviously the "sessions" title makes this clear. It was a bad choice of words on my part
>>
>>70089442
No I totally agree with you.

But most people here think that The Smile Sessions is just the first disc and then other shit they didn't bother listening to. Not saying you believe that, but just taking this opportunity to point it out.
>>
bumpin
>>
File: beatboysinstr.png (35KB, 990x544px) Image search: [Google]
beatboysinstr.png
35KB, 990x544px
>>70084371
Oh gee, I really do wonder which band was better, the one that played instruments on all their songs or ones that only sung on all their songs, hmmm

How is this even a debate
>>
File: oh.png (129KB, 1652x888px)
oh.png
129KB, 1652x888px
>>70091573
>>
>>70091573
Even on SMiLE, the Beach Boys played on the tracks at times and had studio musicians others. Carl Wilson was definitely a phenomenal player and could have been a studio musician had the full-time job of the Beach Boys not gotten in the way

They were all multi-instrumentalists
>>
>>70091573
this is the worst bait I've ever seen
>>
>>70091573
>Beach Boys can't play instruments

Have you even watched any footage of their live performances?
>>
>>70091855
They aren't that great.
>>
Beach boys cause whynot
>>
>>70092231
they were much tighter of a band than the beatles ever were regardless of whether or not you prefer one over the others albums, one band had decades more of experience playing live as a band
>>
>>70085044
nigga Tomorrow Never Knows is my favourite song by them
>>
File: w34.png (231KB, 709x473px) Image search: [Google]
w34.png
231KB, 709x473px
>>70086814
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12021568
its offical. Beatles win.
>>
>>70093867
non
>>
>>70084696
agree
>>
>>70085475
wow you just listed all my fave brian tunes

only one missing is All I Wanna Do, he pretty much invented dream pop/shoegaze with that one, the production is sooo luuuusshhh

also Melt Away, There's So Many and Rio Grande of his self titled solo album are fantastic too
>>
File: carl-wilson_guitars.jpg (59KB, 600x391px) Image search: [Google]
carl-wilson_guitars.jpg
59KB, 600x391px
It's a shame that these threads always turn into a Brian alone vs. All the Beatles sort of deal.

What about Carl? I think he's the best vocalist out of either group, he's an underrated guitarist, and as I songwriter I think he's at least comparable to George Harrison.

Here's some classic Carl for the sake of illustration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_8GKcNvdQ
>>
>>70095660
He had the most soulful voice (though denny was super soulful in a different way and i guess brian circa 76-78)

He was the best instrumentalist out of the band and had the most potential in that regard had he kept practicing as much as in his teens

His songs are okay but nothing compared to Brian or Dennis, really

His biggest accomplishments are taking up reigns as producer and bandleader after the late 60s era
>>
>>70084744
Cabinessence, Wind chimes, and Vegetables are all also better than any beatles song. Also Rubber Soul isn't even good. In my Life is the only great song. Abbey Road is pretty good but Pet Sounds is still much better.
>>
>>70095660
Bruce had the prettiest voice.

I like Al's voice too, he absolutely slayed A Day in the Life of a Tree and Surf's up.

Carl ruined Surf's up, but I think that had more to do with the lack of direction from Brian. He's fantastic on other songs.
>>
>>70098964
>A Day in the Life of a Tree
That was sung by Jack Rieley, their manager at the time.
>>
>>70098964
I definitely think Al nailed it on Help Me Rhonda. Some of the songs he wrote aren't too shabby either.

I was surprised to find out this was an Al song because it's such a Brian thing to write about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Sv0f1AwZ0
>>
Beach Boys all the way!
>>
>>70099278
I'm talking about the coda and backups at the end.

>>70099873
That song is so fun, it's so lovably 70s. Al is really under appreciated.
>>
>>70084371
the beatles and it's not even close.
>>
Beatles easily as studio musicians, but then they got there by not performing live. The Beach Boys of course played live like a proper band should, but they also went on decades past their time like the Rolling Stones.
>>
>>70098863
>Cabinessence, Wind Chimes, Vegetables
>better than Strawberry Fields, A Day In The Life, I Am The Walrus, Get Back, In My Life, Eleanor Rigby, Come Together, Hey Jude, Let It Be, etc.
I can get if you say Good Vibrations or Heroes And Villains is better, but fucking Vegetables? No, just no.
>>
File: 1420358206923.gif (708KB, 245x301px) Image search: [Google]
1420358206923.gif
708KB, 245x301px
>>70084371
obviously the beatles, mate
>>
>>70084643
LOL!
>>
>>70102608
I'm not talking Smiley Smile Vegetables. That ending man, some of the best harmonies and counterpoints they ever came up with. Though now that I think of it add Surf's Up, A Day In The Life of a Tree, and Till I Die to my list of things better than anything the Beatles wrote. Not to mention most tracks off of Pet Sounds.
>>
bumperino
>>
>>70085044
You might've gotten dubs BUT..........
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as Fun x3
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as Be True to Your School
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as In My Room
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as Amusement Park U.S.A.
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as Good Vibrations
>The Beatles never wrote a song as good as Cabinessence.

Need I continue?
>>
Both are good, but I prefer the Beatles.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.