[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me understand Grimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I really don't understand the love for Grimes on here, or anywhere. It just seems like synth, garageband drum loops and some vaguely acceptable singing. What am I missing? Are you guys just thirsty for women or is there something I'm not hearing?

Pic related it's grimes but better
>>
Visions is really fucking great
>>
File: KalleIconBlue.png (34KB, 173x173px) Image search: [Google]
KalleIconBlue.png
34KB, 173x173px
bump
>>
>>70075450
It's not the sounds themselves that she uses, but the variety of sources and inventive ways in which she puts them together that truly makes her music magical.

Take my case for example. I am a professional classically trained musician who performs and occasionally composes tradition-minded classical music, but also avoids most classical music as a listener like the plague because the sound of traditional unamplified instruments tends to put me to sleep. At the same I can't stand to listen to most forms of contemporary music because the compositional form and sonic structure tends to be incredibly simplistic (the one recent musical genre that tends to be a general exception to this is new wave and, to a certain extent, synth-pop.)

Now - back to Grimes. Grimes, because of the diversity of her musical tastes both in terms of genre and era, has a very unusual thing going on throughout all of her music compositionally speaking because she tends to favor classical music forms (such as chaconnes like the song 'Be A Body') and sonic structures (such as contrapuntal vocal lead lines in songs like 'Vanessa') but generally tends to use the sounds of modern electronic instruments.

For someone like me, this combination of classically complex sonic structures and forms with contemporary instrumental and vocal sounds (as well as the occasional switcheroo of classical instruments suddenly playing the role of contemporary electronic ones - such as what happens with the violin solo bridge section of the song 'Venus Fly') is truly magical and almost completely unique among composer/performers of today. Grimes' music, if it happens to appeal to your specific tastes, is virtually unlimited in terms of the degree of that appeal. Both because of how expertly and effectively it is executed and because of how rare it is.
>>
>>70075450

her music makes me feel good and up;
she is original. I believe she is the key to a music revolution...
and
she made me wanna play again
>>
grimes is one of the most innovative artists of the 2010s
>>
>>70076448
This is copypasta, right?
>>
>>70077562
No. Like I said, I'm a professional classically trained musical performer and composer. I don't need to rely on the words of others to make a cogent case for my opinions on music (theory or critcism.)
>>
>>70075450
>i can describe an artist's composition style and use this as a criticism

congrats dude
>>
>>70077750
Actually... yeah. Being able to do those two things alone coherently actually puts you ahead of about 90% of the rest of /mu. It's the main reason why I bothered writing >>70076448 - because a decently worded question deserves a well-written response.
>>
>>70077724
>classically trained musical performer and composer
Then why are you on /mu/? Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>70077859
A) I'm not an atheist.
B) Because last June I happened to discover via Googling that Grimes was a frequent topic of discussion here - and I can't abide Reddit's threading platform.
>>
>>70077953
>didn't understand "checkmate, atheists"
>from reddit
checks out
>>
>>70077972
>didn't understand "checkmate, atheists"
Of course I understood it. What better way to subtly chide someone for making a silly meme statement like that than to answer it with a non-meme response?
>>
Reducing Grimes' style to that neglects the fact that she's extremely good at coming up with catchy grooves and melodies.
>>
>>70078067
>subtly chides people on a cambodian literature board
>likes grimes
>>
>>70078157
Yes. Get over it.
>>
>>70076448
lol
>>
>>70075450
If you're talking about Visions or her earlier work, you're pretty much right? She made all that stuff on GarageBand very quickly.

But in terms of Art Angels, mpst of the percussion on that album is VERY complex I mean, the breaks/drum fills on the breakdown of Flesh Without Blood (did she play those herself? Insane), the zany pops and clicks of the title track, the ever shifting sounds of World Princess Ii, pure genius
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.