[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it good or was it meme? TKOL seemed like the death knell.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: 088055831.jpg (156KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
088055831.jpg
156KB, 600x600px
Was it good or was it meme?

TKOL seemed like the death knell.
>>
Its got Present Tense on it
>>
Among their best. Top tier Radiohead.

Half the tracklist will be remembered as among Radiohead's absolute best songs.
>>
TKOL was great
>>
The Numbers is one of their best songs.
>>
>>70075301
+Ful Stop+Identikit+Daydreaming alone ensures that this album is great
>>
>>70075301
now that's a meme
>>
File: billy balls.png (103KB, 310x266px) Image search: [Google]
billy balls.png
103KB, 310x266px
it is good.
>>
I find it difficult to place in my power rankings since it's so different, definitely a good album though.

Probably right after OK Computer
>>
So what y'all are saying is definitely not meme status?
>>
>>70075323
the numbers is fucking amazing. I was through the roof when I listened to that for the first time
>>
juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust
>>
not sure how it was even a meme because it wa so based
>>
>>70075287
I thought that it was very very good. The fact that a band that was created in the 80's is still releasing solid ass material today really shows you how talented they are
>>
>>70075893
pssst montie, R.E.M. sucks
>>
BEST OF DISCOGRAPHY TIER
>Ful Stop
>Present Tense

GREAT TIER
>Glass Eyes
>Daydreaming
>Decks Dark

PRETTY GOOD TIER
>Burn The Witch
>Identikit
>The Numbers
>Tinker Tonker

WEAK TIER
>Desert Island Disk
>True Love Waits
>>
>tkol
>bad

i'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/fwkzV8VlteM
>>
>>70075975
From the Basement version scraps what made TKOL stand out in their discography (unique electronic arrangements and quirks, abbreviated length) in favor of turning them into their usual alt-rock fare. Feral and Bloom are the only songs that really benefit and they were already two of the best songs on the album

It's great if you didn't like TKOL and you want to appreciate the basic structure of the songs before you go back and listen again but I wouldn't recommend it beyond that
>>
>>70076028
Honestly, what unique electronic arrangements were featured on TKOL?
>>
>>70076136
>Bloom
>Morning Mr Magpie
>Give Up The Ghost
>Feral
The krautrock and Flylo/Burial/electronic influences are pretty obvious but it's definitely the most original album Radiohead has ever made
>>
>>70076244
I don't know man, I wouldn't call loops all that innovative or even inherently electronic.

Most of the album isn't particularly that original either - Little By Little is generic Radiohead alt-rock, Magpie is a bad krautrock song, Codex is a piano ballad that they've already done a billion times before. GUTG is okay but again, I don't really see what's particularly original about it.

Bloom and Lotus Flower are probably the most unique songs on the record and also the best, but they're also really only the two electronically oriented tracks on the record.
>>
>>70075857
It's one of their only psychedelic tracks. I think that's why it's not that highly regarded by most people. Radiohead people don't like psychedelic things.
>>
>>70075911
psst kys meany
>>
>>70076423
Dude TKOL literally shipped with blotting papers lol in the LP

And Radiohead has always had psychedelic influences. I see nothing psychedelic about The Numbers though, it seems more like a Neil Young tribute song to me than anything.
>>
>>70076376
I said it was the most original Radiohead album. But in general what makes it unique to me isn't the looping, it's the fact that they're using these electronic loops and polyrhythms as the basis for their usual alt-rock songs. That's why I said I liked FTB to warm up to TKOL because it shows the songs in their normal band context versus the stuff the actual album does.

I dig GUTG because of the vocal looping and the bird chirping for background ambience, and the subtle electronic guitar that comes in for backing. It's not super electronic-oriented, but most of the B-side isn't. Feral and Morning Mr. Magpie are also pretty electronic (I hear it mostly in the way MMM cuts up the guitars and drums and whatnot).
>>
>>70076522
They've always done that stuff though desu. I mean I see your point in a way about the electronic elements. But I think a lot of it is either retreading old ground they had already well-covered on previous albums or too restrained too be of much interest.

Although I will say adding Staircase to the tracklist makes the album twice as good as it already is.
>>
>>70076574
>They've always done that stuff though desu
When though? What other Radiohead songs sound like Bloom or Feral? What other songs in general sound like them? I guess I hear it a little bit in thm's solo stuff but TKOL is based a lot more around the whole band than The Eraser/TMB and Amok is a lot more synth-y/Fela Kuti-sounding.

Honestly TKOL isn't even really my favorite Radiohead album (Amnesiac or IR) but I really love it because it feels to me like something really different from their usual routine. The looping and the ballads and the the krauty alt-rock stuff have definitely been done before but not all at once.

It's really a shame that they ended up having to pick between a tightly-packed 37 minute album with some god-tier singles or a more sprawling album with every great track on it. I think keeping it to 8 songs is something else different that I liked about it but I fucking loved Staircase and Supercollider. And The Butcher god damn
>>
>>70075942
the ACL version of Identikit makes me think we'll see these songs turn into their strongest live stuff, and in their latest shows they jam hard and well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkROR4itLKc
>>
>>70077116
Hopefully. Separator certainly got way better the more they played it live. And Ful Stop already deserves to be a staple of the live shows imo
>>
>>70077116
Have you seen the NOS Alive version of Identikit? Thom's voice sounds like hell, but the beat changes are amazing.
>>
Identikit has always been great, saw them do it live touring TKOL, almost like that version better.

I do like the best from the early live performances of it better still in fact.
>>
>>70075301
>>70075329
Don't forget Decks Dark, Also Burn The Witch was a great opener.
>>
>>70078224
No doubt. The only ones I consider to not be among their best work are Desert Island Disk, The Numbers and Tinker Tailor. And even those are still very good songs.
>>
>>70075287
Pretty solid album, always got lost listening to it.

I don't think it stacks up to Kid A, Ok Computer, or The Bends but pretty solid. On my top 10 albums of 2016
>>
>>70078089
Identikit in this set is really fun. Great set overall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rz69YmzqQM
>>
Burn the Witch may well be their best song. It's so fucking unbelievably good and so many people are fucking sleeping on it. The lyrics, the strings, the chorus: ethereal and otherworldly. Please, please show me a song that sounds anything at all like it.

it was great. it's too early to tell but it's not their best album. it's not their most innovative album. it's not their most unique album. but it's succinctly radiohead. completely different from their previous album, as all of their albums are. it's probably top 5 album. out of 8 stellar albums and 1 above average album (pablo honey).

album
>>
>>70078367
Everyone says Burn The Witch is overrated but damn is that sound great! It's just kind of weird that song sounds so different from the rest of the album. Like the rest of the album is so much atmospheric than the opener
>>
>>70078367
It's kind of funny too since Burn the Witch was this mystical hidden song to RH fans for such a long time, teased super occasionally by the band and people waited over a decade to hear it.

Then it came out and everyone sort of overlooked it.

I agree it's an incredible song.

I do kind of think on the whole AMSP might be one of the more unique Radiohead albums though. And I think it's right up there with their very best to me (OK Computer/Kid A/In Rainbows).

I think those three plus AMSP are a tier above everything else they've ever done.
>>
>>70075287
Unironically very boring and underwhelming
Don't get what everyone sees in it that's so mindblowingly good
>>
>>70078410
it is completely different. they've started their most recent albums with a song that sounds totally different than the rest of the album (starting with 15 step, Bloom, and now Burn the Witch)

I feel the same way about Ill Wind. I think they didn't put it on AMSP because they didn't know where it would fit.
>>
>>70078367
I actually never really liked that song. It's difficult for me to explain why exactly, but I think it my sentiments could be more or less summed up with the word "inauthentic".

Still, I enjoyed most of the other songs - Daydreaming, the Numbers, and Present Tense especially.
>>
>>70078520
most people share this sentiment. idk why, maybe listen to it with headphones? here is why I like it:
The reverb on Thom's voice when the chorus starts. After the first "BURRRRRRRRRRRRN THE WITCHHHHHH" that staccato string sound that bridges to the second. The thumps of the basedrum during the chorus. the descending bassdrum kick at 1:38 immediately following the absence of the drumbeat. the lyrics "red crosses on wooden doors. if you float you burn. loose talk around tables. abandon all reason. avoid all outcomes? do not react. shoot the messengers. THIS IS A LOW FLYING PANIC ATTACK." the unusual warble Thom puts on his vocal at 2:43 during the tail-end of the "know" in "we know where you live"
>>
>>70078614
also that buzz at 12 seconds
>>
>>70078614
This. that part amazing, also the way he sings "This is a low flying panic attack".
>>
File: 1456034513045.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1456034513045.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>70078354
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.