[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Ice Cube's solo albums?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (16KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 220x220px
What does /mu/ think of Ice Cube's solo albums?
>>
RUN RUN RUN FROM THE GHETTO BIRD

apart from amerikkkas most wanted they're pretty hit or miss
>>
>>70075171
Nah. All his albums up until War & Peace are good albums. Good rapper. One of the best.

He really did sell out though.
>>
first four are great though lethal injection is a bit spotty and a sign of what was to come
>>
first 2 are classic
>>
>>70075156
His first three solo albums are great. Straight-up classics IMO. His most angry, politically charged work. Death Certificate is my favorite album of his.

Lethal Injection was decent. I like Ghetto Bird.
>>
File: IceCubeofAlbumCovers.jpg (128KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IceCubeofAlbumCovers.jpg
128KB, 640x640px
Coming from an Ice Cube stan

Straight Out of Compton - (I know its not a Cube album but fuck it, he was the heart and soul) Classic
Amerikkkas Most Wanted - Classic
Death Certificate - Classic
The Predator - Classic
(This is where you can stop listening to the full albums and start just picking out the singles)
Lethal Injection - Good but not great
War & Peace Vol. 1 - Ok
War & Peace Vol. 2 - Better than Vol 1 but still just OK
Laugh Now, Cry Later - Solid and underrated. Actually a pretty fun record.
Raw Footage- Slightly worse than Laugh Now, Cry Later but still solid
I Am The West - Ok

Basically, if you want to get into Ice Cube just listen to the four albums in my pic and some of his other singles.
>>
>>70075417
You Know How We Do It is a great "cruising" single too, although it does bite G-Funk a fair bit
>>
>>70075426
OP here, this is pretty much what I wanted to know so thanks
>>
>>70075766
To add to that, here are the specific tracks I would start with. These 12 songs will give you a nice sampling the great part of Ice Cubes career (everything before Lethal Injection)

Straight Outta Compton
Fuck Tha Police
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Endangered Species (Tales from the Darkside)
Jackin' for Beats
My Summer Vacation
I Wanna Kill Sam
Alive on Arrival
No Vaseline
When Will They Shoot?
Check Yo Self
It Was a Good Day
>>
>>70075998
>When Will They Shoot?
This track is so slept on it's criminal. What do you think about The Nigga Ya Love to Hate, You Can't Fade Me, Once Upon A Time In The Projects, The Bomb, A Bird In The Hand, True To The Game, Doing Dumb Shit, and Us? Those are some of my favorites.
>>
I feel like Ice Cube is like Shrek.
>>
>>70076141
Honestly what makes the first three solo Ice Cube albums so classic to me is how ridiculously consistent they are. Out of all, the songs you listed (and pretty much all of the other songs on the album) I can't really think of one which is below a 8/10. I would say a Bird in the Hand is my favorite out of those tracks though.
>>
>>70076246
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>70076261
I agree, honestly, though I personally am not a fan of some of the production on Death Certificate and The Predator, I can't say any are objectively bad; Cube's storytelling is great on all the tracks, though I felt that the finer details were a bit more exaggerated on The Predator. The Bomb Squad production makes AMW my favorite Cube project though, I feel like it's a better complement to angry Cube than the more prominent funk influences on DC and The Predator, plus that Chuck D feature on Endangered Species was hype. Though I'm not too familiar with the sampling on AMW, so if the Bomb Squad sampled funk a lot on those tracks too, feel free to correct me on that.

I love A Bird In The Hand because of how he flips the idiom and the way he only needed 2 minutes to encompass the multiple moral layers of a criminal and the grievances of his community. No words are wasted.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.