[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMiLE vs Pet Sounds, which is better, and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1472250732686.jpg (127KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1472250732686.jpg
127KB, 600x750px
SMiLE vs Pet Sounds, which is better, and why?
>>
File: 1464822526656.jpg (48KB, 620x648px) Image search: [Google]
1464822526656.jpg
48KB, 620x648px
>>70058890
I personally think Pet Sounds just cause it sounds more complete. SMiLE is still a 10 to me anyhow but god only knows what it'd be like if Brian had finished it when he had the initial drive for it
>>
anyone with half a mind knows smile (the BB album, not the brian wilson 2004 one) was way more expansive of an endeavor

Pet sounds was a great album, but listen to Cabin Essence, and the rest of the smile tracks, and hear the motifs throughout, way more grand than pet sounds ever was; the songs aren't all isolated
>>
SMiLE is a pishposh of shit, unfinished garbage. Today! and Pet Sounds are the great BB albums
>>
Smile
>>
>>70058981
I genuinely believe if SMiLE had released it would have been one of the most cohesive and consistent albums to have ever been released.
>>
Shut Down Vol. II because it's

1. the real Beach Boys
2. actual rock and roll music
>>
>>70059251
Kill yourself you filler loving retard
>>
>>70059251
Shut Down Volume 2 is a great album, don't get me wrong. But it's musical technicality and the overall themes it covers don't come close to SMiLE or Pet Sounds. Pet Sounds onward was a very quick and intense maturing of the Beach Boy's sound. It was no longer about making formulaic rock music.

Friends is an amazing album, still heavily rock oriented and even presents some of that old formula, however it does so with such awareness that the songs still remain experimental in some aspects, arrangements are new for the era, perhaps not new but somewhat innovative. Shut Down Vol 2 was great as a more straight forward Beach Boys record, but I personally enjoy the stuff that takes some analysis to fully appreciate. A lot of the Beach Boy's later stuff was like this, 20/20, Friends, Surf's Up, etc.
>>
>>70058890
When you say "SMiLE", which version do you mean? As far as I'm concerned, Smile was never properly released and thus any evaluation of its quality is necessarily invalid
>>
smile is their white album

filler galore
>>
>>70059327
>filler

and what exactly is Pet Sounds? Wouldn't it be Nice fillerfillerfillerfillefielfilefilefilefil God Only Knows

and Smile... smile isn't even a fucking album you retards, they put out Smiley Smile and yeah it has its moments but half of it sounds like junior high kids giggling and playing with studio equipment
>>
>>70059369
Filler? What exactly is "filler" on SMiLE? Each and every song works to support one another and the musical phrasing is passed throughout the album. You hear bits and pieces of Heroes and Villains and Plymouth Rock all over the album. How the fuck is it "filler"?
>>
File: 1478281980461.jpg (46KB, 553x539px) Image search: [Google]
1478281980461.jpg
46KB, 553x539px
>>70059382
>he doesn't know that SMiLE was never even finished or released by the Beach Boys
>>
>>70059402
Oh yeah, you got me. I wasn't aware of one of the most well known things about the Beach Boys discography. The fact it didn't see an official release doesn't mean the entire album is filler. This doesn't work like comic book canon.
>>
The two finished songs from Smile, Heroes And Villains and Good Vibrations, are fantastic. Vegetables and a few others are kind of good.

The two tracks I mentioned seem like the only finished ones, but they're amazing. If Brian Wilson had finished the album, I think it would've been the greatest album of all time, better than Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper.
>>
>>70059450
except it wasnt

the beatles could have made combined all the best songs from abbey road and sgt peppers to make the uber beatle album, but they didn't
>>
>>70059431
i'm the biggest beach boys fan on /mu/ and I don't consider SMiLE to be a complete album, it's just weird that this board thinks a literal disaster is a masterpiece

by biggest beach boys fan, i mean actual beach boys fan. not underage kids meme'ing about Mike Love being a nazi while glamorizing and fetishizing Brian Wilson's descent into mental illness, calling carrot munching and bicycle horn honking "genius" because "normies" don't get it
>>
>>70059466
You know, I wish I was a musicologist so I could formulate an actual, infallible argument supporting my opinions that SMiLE would have been better than Sgt. Peppers. It's hard to back up such a claim though, becasue SGt. Peppers was so innovative and different for its time. SMiLE was the same thing in an entirely different musical aspect.
>>
Pet Sounds is a masterpiece that set trends for faggot bands like the Beatles.

Anyone who thinks SMiLE is a good album needs to reevaluate their life.
>>
>>70059480
>le I'm a real fan meme
>le SMiLE is a disaster because it didn't see a release

Please just stop. Carrot crunching and horn honking aren't what make SMiLE genius. If you can sincerely sit there and say SMiLE has absolutely no redeeming qualities, or that it's bottom of the barrel Beach Boys, you're a fucking tool.
>>
>>70059514
>listens to rubber soul once
pet sounds
>listens to pet sounds once
sgt peppers
>listens to strawberry fields once
PEE PE PE PEPE dead brian
>>
>>70059480
>i mean actual beach boys fan. not underage kids meme'ing about Mike Love being a nazi while glamorizing and fetishizing Brian Wilson's descent into mental illness, calling carrot munching and bicycle horn honking "genius" because "normies" don't get it
Thank god somebody fucking said it
>>
>>70059525
The Beatles is a joke of a band.

Even they said Pet Sounds is their favorite album of all time and Sgt. Peppers was modeled after it.

Kys
>>
>>70059549
apart from fixing a hole and she's leaving home it has nothing at all to do with beach boys
>>
>>70059525
The reason it upset Brian was becuase he felt they were using recording techniques that he was already experimenting with. Strawberry Fields was a great song but had SMiLE released it would have blown it and it's respective album out of the water. SMiLE was great because it was a journey across musical stylings across the nation, essentially the Western world. It experimented with modular recording style and allowed for many different bootlegs to arise, so there were many different interpretations of the album. Going even by the official Smile Sessions recording that released in 2011, one can see the intensity with which SMiLE would have been released, how for its time it would have been a game changer.

To shit on SMiLE and say it's garbage because Brian felt it would be better not to release it for personal issues with himself and for democratic reasons within the band is an absolute cop-out. They started putting a lot of the songs from SMiLE into other albums, and while that's great, it's really a shame because those songs all worked SO well TOGETHER. As an ALBUM.
>>
>>70059540
I'll admit, the Mike Love hating meme can be a bit much sometimes but seriously, the guy wanted to keep the Beach Boys making repeats of Fun, Fun, Fun for decades to come. Why is it appropriate for any member to want to stagnate the creative flow of the band? I understand Brian probably pushed a lot of his ideas on the band, which wasn't necessarily right but he knew they needed a different sound or else that would become even LESS relevant under the shadow of the Beatles.
>>
>>70059519

i didn't say Smile was all trash, i said it was an unfinished unreleased disaster of an "album". Obviously some good music from that era, but the idea that it's a "masterpiece" is just fucked
>>
>>70059597
I don't think it's fucked. I just realize and can envision how the music world would have reacted had SMiLE been released in 67. It was nearly fucking finished boys. They had all of the parts recorded, the arrangement never fully came to fruition on the record itself. Which is why Bootlegs sprung up. If you'd like to think of it as a disaster, go for it. I'm thinking of it as the package it was intended to be released as, not necessarily the unfinished product. If we want to go by your logic, then SMiLE may as well have never existed, eh?
>>
>>70059646
Smiley Smile came out and everyone basically hated it, it has the best shit from those sessions
>>
>>70059658
You can NOT compare Smiley Smile to Smile and tell me it's a representation of how SMiLE would have been received. Smiley Smile was literally a more unfinished version of what Smile was. Seriously. The reason people didn't like Smiley Smile is because it was a lo-fi creep show with weird instrumentation, a severe lack of instrumentation a lot of times, and some really weird recording and mixing. Almost like they didn't give a flying fuck about it.

Having Heroes and Villains on it as well as Good Vibrations doesn't mean at all that it's a fair representation of how SMiLE would have been received. SMiLE had the potential to be better produced and arranged than Pet Sounds was and the critics fucking loved Pet Sounds originally, it just didn't sell well.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.