[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Bowed Guitar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3006.jpg (110KB, 750x1058px)
IMG_3006.jpg
110KB, 750x1058px
A day or two ago I posted my work in the bandcamp thread and someone asked how I was able to make the bowed guitar parts sound decent. I didn't really have a great answer; all I can say is I use an Acoustic-electric, so maybe there's a slight dynamic there? Not sure. I feel like the effects used play a large part too.

Anyone else have any feedback on this?
>>
Bump. Just bought a cheap bow and it sounds like total shit
>>
Got a link for your bandcamp?
>>
OP IS JIMY PAGE
>>
>>70048420
https://columnaris.bandcamp.com/album/alders-in-the-middle-reach

Don't listen to Asellidae, that's... uh... something else.
>>
>>70049809
Sounds good. What effects do you use for the bowed parts?
>>
>>70050285
I run it trough an amp with a lot of built in effects. I'll use a fair amount of reverb, delay, and occasionally autowah.
>>
>>70050378
>an amp with a lot of built in effects
Line 6?
>>
>>70050405
Vox
>>
>>70050378
Yeah I used reverb and delay but I could only get it to sound ok with some distortion. I'll try it with an electroacoustic at some point.
>>
I have a bow that I use on my guitar, on the higher strings it sounds like violin but more shrill, on the lower ones you can get some drone doom sounds if you really crank it and give it enough distortion. I mostly use it for ambient stuff, it can add a cool sound different from what synths make.
Don't really understand how Jonsi can play full chords with it, if I try to bow all the strings it just sounds like a mess.
>>
>>70050473
I can't really say it'll be a lot better, but give it a shot. The issue with an electeoacoustic is that you get that feedback issue, depending on how loud you have it and what effects you're using.

At least I do, anyway.
>>
>buy a cheap bow on Amazon to fuck around with
>makes shrieking sounds when I bow the high strings
Dreadful technique definitely but how do you properly bow a guitar? Put the strap super low and hold it sideways like a cello?
>>
why not just use an ebow?
>>
>>70050428
Okay good just checking
>>
>>70050543
I personally don't even use a strap; I just put it sideways on a chair or something and use it like a cello. Last time I tried it with a strap I had a difficult time with it.
>>
>>70050505
Yeah I normally use headphones so I don't piss people off with the fucked up noises it makes. Did it take much practice to get a half decent sound out of it?
>>
>>70050487
I think Jonsi had his guitar custom built for bowing
>>
>>70050830
It took a little bit of messing around with it, yeah. Honestly the first ever time using a bow with my guitar, it was at an open mic night, and I pretty much told everyone I'd be fucking around. That went... I guess fairly well, but not super great.
>>
>>70050924
Really like the sound Jonsi gets from it. Would be great to use in ambient stuff. I think Godspeed use it sometimes as well.
>>
>>70051226
I have a new project I'm hoping to get up online soon where I applied some long-lasting delay that could be layered; it seemed to remind me a little of the violin bits on "Piss Crowns are Trebled".
>>
>>70051338
Love that song. I'll keep a lookout for that
>>
>>70051606
Actually I have that particular song on soundcloud.

https://m.soundcloud.com/columnaris

It's called Microcystis. It's not exactly Godspeed, but you'll see what I mean with the delay.
>>
>>70051722
Sounds great man. Kinda reminds me of Natural snow buildings or the more droney parts of gy!be. What pedal are you using for that delay?
>>
Bow seems to work out better on banjo than on guitar for me it seems
>>
>>70047742
>Anyone else have any feedback on this?
better learn the real deal an electric violin cello etc

also bowed instruments general when
>>
>>70050869
he has a bridge that is slightly arched to help

guys if you wanna bow guitar put some flats on and use rosin but be aware it will leave that white shit thats in OPs pic
>>
>>70052562
Yeah the rosin gets all over it but it should be ok if you just wipe it down after playing. Do flats actually improve the sound or just protect the bow?
>>
>>70052799
yeah i know but i wouldnt want to get that shit all over and near the electronics of a pricey guitars. the flats help a lot because the bow has way more to grab on to and the also aren't as shrill on the high strings
>>
>>70052919
Yeah I guess so. I'm considering just having a cheap guitar with flatwounds to just to use the bow on.
>>
>>70053133
thats what i did. it helps to have thicker strings a cello bow over a violin one. tuning a bit lower i find helps a bit too as long as you keep higher tension on the strings. this of course leads to probably not what you want as a main guitar for regular guitar playing on the downside
>>
>>70052324
Thanks! I'm using an old RP1 I borrowed from a family friend; loads of different effects, but I used a delay effect with some edited parameters for that one. Loads of fun.
>>
>>70053207
Thanks for the advice mate I'll try it out when I get the time
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.