[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, /mu/. I like Animal Collective, but every time I listen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (37KB, 490x327px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 490x327px
Alright, /mu/. I like Animal Collective, but every time I listen to them, I just get waves of white guilt. I know it's dumb of me, in everyday life I'm actually a bit of an annoying redpill, but their music always seems so "first world problem" to me. I think it's a necessary niche, and we all have that sensitive side that just wants a hug and a little emotional indulgence, but I think it keeps them from being truly great. Thoughts?
>>
>>70040056
listen to something more attuned to your own sensibilities instead of trying to bend something
else to them
>>
>>70040213
I'm not trying to change them, but to me, they'll always be for a very specific emotional niche. Just curious what others think.
>>
>>70040056
Well what else are they gonna talk about but first world problems? They're a bunch of privileged white guys, you think they're going to write about being oppressed or about gang violence? No, they're going to write songs about psychedelia, spirituality, the pains of growing up, mental health, ie. the problems that their privilege allows them to address.

Once the Third World Problems are taken care of, First World Problems are still gonna be problems.
>>
So do you feel "waves of white guilt" every time you listen to a band with a privileged all-white lineup?

I think your post is kind of silly but fwiw I have several close black friends that enjoy Animal Collective.
>>
>>70040311
That's kinda my point. I don't fault them for it, I just think there's a kinda glass ceiling on how good that sort of thing can be.
>>
>>70040363
I just feel kinda self-indulgent. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the music, I just get kinda aware that my problems are dumb problems.
>>
>>70040412
So then music will go down the tubes if widespread equality is achieved because there won't be as many dire human rights issues to address? Music doesn't have to be making some grand political gesture to be valuable art. Inspiration can come from anything, any emotion, any thought. You could write a quick little pop song about being in love. You could compose a symphony because the way the sun reflected off the lake the other day instilled you with the beauty of the universe and you want to celebrate it.

If you want to make an impact, volunteer or get active, join a protest or something. There's no use in making yourself feel bad because the music you listen to isn't political enough.
>>
literally no one cares about the political fucking undertones of Animal Collective. they do not make even remotely political music. they make music about human feelings and it sounds good. thats literally all there is to it you monumental insecure faggot
>>
>>70040412
Upon looking back at your original post, I think I overreacted because of the white guilt comment and misinterpreted it as more racially charged than intended and ended up being a bit of a dick. Going through this election as a Sanders supporter constantly getting attacked and called all sorts of -ists from DNC loyalists has put me on edge.

Now that I've thought about it, though I don't think they have any obligation to be political, it'd be awesome to see the current Psychedelic movement really take off and hammer down on world political issues and deliver something like a modern Forever Changes. In that sense, I completely agree with you, Animal Collective could be better if their music explored more worldly subjects than their personal dramas, but that's where their strength lays lyrically, and those are the subjects they personally want to explore.
>>
File: 1483251634486.png (132KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
1483251634486.png
132KB, 298x298px
>unironically caring about the political implications of listening to the fucking Animal Collective

jesus
>>
OP have you tried to be less of a stupid fucking nu-male??
>>
the best part of Animal Collective isn't their subject matter, it's the variety of sounds they incorporate and the density of their music.
>>
Fuck white people and fuck Donald drumpf
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.