[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the greatest music critic of all time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: MUSIC CRITCS.png (560KB, 966x628px) Image search: [Google]
MUSIC CRITCS.png
560KB, 966x628px
Who's the greatest music critic of all time.
>>
>>70032912
>Marcel and Christgau anywhere on that chart
>Scaruffi, who literally doesn't listen to full albums before rating them, at the top

Shit list OP.
>>
All Music Critics Are Sub-Humans
>>
>>70032947
He doesn't listen to full albums?
>>
Music critics are the fucking worst, people tend to care what the critics opinion is way too much and make it so their own opinion is similar to the critic.
>>
>>70032964
He states here that sometimes he will set an album aside for a few more listens, but most of the time will only listen to an album once and sometimes will "get through the first five songs and refuse to listen to the last five."

https://radio.adelaide.edu.au/interview-with-piero-scaruffi/
>>
>>70033018
Christ.
>>
>>70032912
>Christgau

LMAO
>>
>>70032947
>>70033056
>Hating Christgau

Losers
>>
Mark Fucking Prindle
>>
>>70033113
why?
>>
Claude Debussy.
>>
>>70033103
9/10 of his reviews are non-reviews and he has a blatant bias for hip-hop / against rock
>>
>>70033103
The man who gave soulja boy and beyonce a positive review? please state why you don't think he is a retard I can't see how anyone takes him seriously.

>rubbersoul best album of all time
>lol
>>
I'm not interested in ideas on art by anyone who isn't an artist (and a good one), somebody I care about, or otherwise maybe an actually original, inspired philosopher (rather than just some career academic or invariably awful journalist/critic).
>>
File: 1455992997728.png (560KB, 974x512px) Image search: [Google]
1455992997728.png
560KB, 974x512px
>>
>>70033889
Man I don't even know who some of these people are why you gotta make my memes so inaccessible
>>
>>70033965
Seconded
>>
the real artists
>>
>>70033889
>schoppy normalfag of all the philosphers
>meanwhile nietzche the dude I just read philosophy once normie is ubermensch
>>
>>70033889
Who are 1,2 1,3 1,4 1,5 and 2,5
>>
>>70033889
>video games
>anything but subhuman
what's up loser?
>>
>>70033889
>scruffy
>normalfag tier
Please go outside once in a while and ask around about him.
>>
>>70033113
yee man
>>
>>70033889
>Placing kotaku
>Not Killscreen
>>
File: 1482472148493.jpg (53KB, 604x472px) Image search: [Google]
1482472148493.jpg
53KB, 604x472px
>>70033889
>top right
>not demo
>>
>>70034895
second (or digi or stef)
>>
File: feels-guy-twitter.jpg (26KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
feels-guy-twitter.jpg
26KB, 511x428px
>>70032912
>he doesn't read adorno and then independently apply what he's learned to music he encounters

nice meme
>>
>>70034895
>doesn't remember anime grandpa
foh boi
>>
>>70033196
Against rock? New rock then? Some of his favorite albums are rock albums
>>
>>70034895
literally who
>>
>>70034741
Dude, what?
>>
me
>>
>>70033018

A quick translation with the help of google translate:

"I confess to not understand anymore why an album should be heard ten times before being reviewed, while, for example, a literary critic is free to review a book after reading it once, and a film critic re-watches a film once at best, and maybe neither the first nor the latter will ever re-read it or re-watch them again after the review. For mysterious reasons, a music critic should instead repeatedly listen to a disc before expressing an opinion. In my opinion, sometimes to listen to a disc several times has just the opposite effect: you tend to deepen negligible details (ie "to not understand") instead of judging the whole set (ie "to figure it out"). Listen to it more and more and your own review becomes misleading. If you listen to it ten times, you will be simply auto-conditioned: listen to it more and more it will look like a masterpiece, 'cause obviously we discover more and more details. It seems unfair to the many discs you'll hear only once and never again. I thought about it these days re-listening to albums of the 60s that I have heard dozens of times: obviously I "feel" much more than I "hear" in recent albums, but the reason is simply that I have heard them too many times.
It seems to me that you neglect the other aspect of "critic" (in literature, film, music): all judgments, including yours and mine, are relative. They are all relative to what you have listen to, read and watched. If you have listen to, read, watched very little, your judgment is very far-fetched, whatever it is. Over the years I became convinced that is relatively insensitive to investigate the object of your criticism, but it really matters very much to deepen the context, ie the rest of the literary universe, film, music."

http://www scaruffi com/music/letter3.html#l31c
>>
>>70033889
RIP in peace Grumpy Jii-san
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.