[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>band doesn't play old/earliest songs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

>band doesn't play old/earliest songs
>>
File: HandsomeasFuck.jpg (52KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
HandsomeasFuck.jpg
52KB, 500x250px
I know some guys that did this...
(when they were still alive)
>>
>tfw the beatles didn't rip through twist and shout one more time at the rooftop concert
>>
>tfw bands won't come to your country
>>
>tfw they'll never play that one song
>>
>>70020615
>tfw bands won't come to your city unless they're old or desperate for cash
>>
File: 1481603326063.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1481603326063.png
51KB, 657x527px
>band doesn't play in my country ever
>applies to every band i like without exception
>>
>>70020529
Fucking Swans
>>
>band plays their four best albums in full
TYBM
>>
>>70020529
Fucking Robert Smith

It's like he makes a point of disappointing fans
>>
>>70020615
>>70020933

>tfw nobody knows them, because you are unique and special, and you live in a poor country
>>
In some of their defense:

A touring band starts with a song. They work it over in rehearsal or in studio several dozen times. Each guy plays his part dozens of times. They fit together over a process, whatever their process is. By the time they have it, they've played it 60 times already.

Then they record it. More rehearsals. Studio time is expensive. Maybe one take, probably more. Maybe 20 more. Then dubs. Another 10 or 20 times through. Then the mix down. They have to listen to the individual tracks, then compile them, then make decisions about post-recording effects, if any, and whether to change anything. Another 10-50 listens.

By the time they have the record, they've heard this song about 150 times. Now they have to tour it. More rehearsals, because live is so different from studio. Maybe another 5-25 times through.

The tour itself will involve maybe 70-100 performances. After one tour, they've heard this song about 300 times. 400 after the second tour. 500 after the third.

How many times can you stand to listen to your /favorite/ song? Now you have to play it that many times /and/ pretend it doesn't drive you up the fucking wall.
>>
>>70020529

>band hates their breakout hit even though it's obviously their best song
>>
>>70021141
There are two other important side-effects of the process that aspiring musicians should understand:

The process as described there is the number one reason you will never be a rock star. The loneliest feeling in the world is when you discover you are the only one out of the three or four other guys in possession of the special form of autism required to go through that without developing a burning compulsion to blow your brains out if you have to hear that song again. You wouldn't believe how hard it is for creatives to keep from getting burned out on the tedium. That's why so many fail - you have to find a talented, and attractive, and /autistic/ player for each instrument. At least one of whom can also write songs that will sell. There are just so few of them.

The second thing is a corollary - creatives love to deal with tedium by abusing substances. Notice the stories about hookers and booze and blow are always on tour. Never when they are between and free to pursue their interests. It''s when they are locked in to structured commitments that they flip out.

Be warned.
>>
>>70021141
I see your point, but musicians are supposed to love performing by any means. Particularly fan favourites where the crowd atmosphere and energy must be amazing.

Then again I'm not a touring musician so maybe the grind does get to you eventually.
>>
>>70021384
>musicians are supposed to love performing by any means

Dunno about that one bud.
>>
>>70021416
Yeah lemme rephrase that

You'd think artists and instrumentalists would love performing by any means. Composers and hobbyists make up a small minority of musicians
>>
>>70021384
>love performing by any means.

This is mostly true early on. Have you noticed how many bands feel the need to write a sophomore road song? It's always on the second or third record. And it's always about how lonely and what a hassle the road is. First tour bands never write that song.

Faithfully
Home Sweet Home
Fly By Night
It's a Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll), then Rock and Roll Singer - AC/DC needed two of them, back to back,
Music Man (REO Speedwagon)

There's plenty more. It's the song a guy writes who has been struck with the bodily fact that being an actual rock star is grinding hard work.
>>
>>70021484
>>70021589
Creedence - Lodi, then Travelin' Band
Seger - Turn The Page
Motorhead - (We Are) The Road Crew
The Who - Postcard

The fact that the sophomore road song is a thing at all is because the grind makes such a strong impression on young people who thought it would be all champagne and limousines.

It is also true that it is possible to both love performing, and at the same time, dread p[laying that one song. You can tell who is sincere about from their explanation - the ones who really care will say, "We can't play that and make you believe it. If we played it, you'd have seen and heard that we were going through the motions. That's not fair to you." I believe him. He is telling the truth. The poseurs are the ones who say "My audience is sophisticated enough to want to hear my new stuff, which is so much better."

When they think they are the arbiters of their own legacy is when they give themselves away.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.