[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of nine inch nails?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 8

File: image.png (109KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
109KB, 220x220px
>>
>>70017179
i'll fucking show you my nine inch nail if you beg for it
>>
They were the first band I became obsessed with and probably influenced a lot of my future taste in music. The Downward Spiral has the best sound ever and shit, the only problem is that it's far too depressing to listen too all the time for me now
>>
>>70017179
TDS is like a 7/10 for me. don't care for his other releases
tho trent is one of the guys I generally love as a person regardless if me not liking his art. guy has 10/10 work ethic
>>
>>70017179
Wanky pretentious crap. Saw half their set at big day out in sydney, left and saw Ratatat instead, best decision I've even made. Also Johnny Cash did their best song better than them.
>>
>>70017329

You're a philistine if you think NIN is wanky, they're literally just angry depeche mode
>>
Trent is a shit vocalist
>>
Coming into NIN at the ripe age of 23 after having listened to thousands of albums: fucking amazing.
>>
/mu/ loves NIN. Don't let others tell you otherwise.
>>
>>70017369
He was literally stanging at the back of the stage in silhouette the entire show, with fucking lasers. Yeah. They're wanky.
>>
>>70017653
Standing*
Thanks NYE
>>
>>70017653
you're thinking of maynard.

easy to mix up though, they're both manlets
>>
>>70017179
one of my favorite bands and i love that the nu-males on this board stay the fuck away

what did yall think of the new ep? i don't think it's anything amazing but it gave me high hopes for the 2017 album
>>
>>70018283
I am too. Gonna reform my comment then, NiN is the significantly less bad of the two. Still meh electronica metal but subjectivity is a bitch.
>>
i always enjoy the quiet ambient tracks, i think trent is very talented but i don't like the way he sings, too cringy/edgy for me
>>
>>70018330
are you joking right? nin fans are beta nu-males, trent is pretty apha th, but this is just music for edgy teens
>>
>>70018546
>edgy

This "being edgy is bad" meme needs to die.
>>
Good music, can't dig the lyrics though.
>>
Just listened to TDS for the first time a couple nights ago and The Fragile last night. Never really listened to them with intent beforehand. Honestly preferred The Fragile but either way I got the impression that Reznor really does have a passion for creating music. The genre hopping is pretty crazy and the production is fantastic. A real shame the lyrics are "edgier Linkin Park" tier but this is good music.
>>
>>70017242
>guy has 10/10 work ethic

Other than signing into a studio under pseudonyms to make the album he wanted. Explain?
>>
File: Screenshot_9.png (14KB, 776x264px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_9.png
14KB, 776x264px
Nine Inch Nails is currently my favorite band of all time and the only band I've listend to this entire year, this is just how I work, I find one band/artist which I get interested in and I only listen to it, it is limiting but my no-meme autism kinda encourages this behaviour. I became obessed with NIN, seeing Trent's work ethnics and how he genuinelly cares for making good music encouraged me to actually support artists and buy their goddamn albums. I'd like to thank him for that.
>>70018330
>what did yall think of the new ep?
I loved it and still loving it, can't stop listening to it. Gets better with time, I love every track from it and I am really excited to see Trent being pissed off again, this is the best screams and anger since With_Teeth, NIN is much more than anger, but I am really happy to see it back, I thought after mellow but amazing Hesitation Marks NIN would leave any sense of anger.

I also liked The Slip, but I felt like anger there felt less genuine, meanwhile in this EP it's clearly genuine and very powerful. Songs like "Burning Bright" and "Idea Of You" for example showcase that he has still a lot of strenght and he can still do good screams, I stopped believing in that after listening to "Letting You" from before mentioned Slip.

Rest of the EP is amazing as well, "Dear World," kicks ass, amazing instrumentals and Trent's vocals sound very uniuqe in it.

"She's Gone Away" I love a lot too. It's creepy, haunting and dirty, I missed these kind of tracks which get under your skin, something his Quake soundtrack did.

Burning Bright is such a powerful song, he is angry yet again, but that anger and the song in general in the chorus sounds different, almost genuinelly thriupmhant. That song is an emotional roller coster in general, going from confident, threatening and then ending with a hint of desperation.

Best thing since Post-Fragile and I personally really liked his Post-Fragile stuff, so that means a lot. I don't have anything bad to say.
>>
>>70019069
I can take NIN's lyrics much more seriously just due to the fact I know that they are all honest while Linkin Park's lyrics are just used from psychologist's notes or something, I think they said that they get their lyrics from that.

Even with that, even with simple and rather angsty lyrics, NIN's lyrics have hidden depth, especially in these two albums as they all play a part in their concepts. The Downward Spiral's re-appearing "Nothing Can Stop Me Now" which appears in three song, in three different context and each signaling a huge change in the protagonist, the sentence's context becoming darker with each use.

With The Fragile, lyrics often make a call back subtly, Somewhat Damaged is referenced in "We're In This Together" and also in general fore-shadow the entire album's story, the protagonist in Somewhat Damaged blames other person for leaving him to fall apart, only for him to do the same thing and even saying the same sentences

>Somewhat Damaged
>Just like you, would always say, you and me, make it through, didn't quite, fell apart

>The Fragile (track)
>I won't let you fall apart.

>We're In This Together
>You and me, we're in this together now, none of them can stop us now.

There are also a lot of hints, like Closer's instrumentals ending with The Downward Spiral mottif, referencing the track where the protagonist commits suicide with its piano, the more you listen the more stuff like that wil become apparent, I love NIN for stuff like that, huge replay-value.
>>
>have chose
>>
>>70019296
>I can take NIN's lyrics much more seriously just due to the fact I know that they are all honest

exactly. the fact that this board doesn't realize this really shows how much they actually know/care about art in general
>>
>>70017614
>/mu/ loves NIN. Don't let /mu/ tell you otherwise.
>>
>>70019545
I don't know, /mu/'s stance on lyrics seems very strange to me, a lot of people claim that lyrics don't matter, then you have people who even say that context does not matter.

I don't know. I love music on their production level, that is very important too, but I think it's also very important what that music tries to say.
>>
my fav album is Ghosts I-IV
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (9KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
9KB, 320x180px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQuEHtaTiY
>>
>>70021604
omfg
>>
>>70021604
why do Indians always suck at what they do
>>
File: downward.jpg (56KB, 545x299px) Image search: [Google]
downward.jpg
56KB, 545x299px
>all that filler
the Fragile > Downward Spiral > PHM > Broken
>>
>>70022888
what filler? each song is perfect, literally no bad songs
>>
>>70022925
>the becoming
>masterpiece
come back when you're 18 yo
>>
>>70022888
Ruiner is the best track on the whole album
>>
>>70022976
I try to forget that /mu/ has shitty taste and it's just 16 year old edgelords who have radiohead as their favorite band
>>
>>70023049
NIN isn't that different than Radiohead in the end
>>
A band I thought I was too cool to listen to in high school but ended up loving in my mid 20's.
>>
File: Trent-Reznor-Frowning.jpg (121KB, 1000x515px) Image search: [Google]
Trent-Reznor-Frowning.jpg
121KB, 1000x515px
No fillers

>Ruiner
Track about protagonist taking control from the "Ruiner" aka, God. It's fucking amazing track wich amazing guitar work there as well, the ending is also creepy as fuck with another showcase of "Nothing Can Stop Me Now"

>The Becoming
After the protagonist takes control over God, he is not feeling better, in fact even worse and is falling and being infected by "the voice" (Mr. Self Destruct). It's a creepy song with desperate vocals, sounding like something out of nightmare.

>I Do Not Want This
The protagonist and the voice clash, the instrumentals are greatly fuzzed out, giving us great insight into protagonist's instability with real life screams covering the track.

>Eraser
After his attempt to calm down (A WarmPlaceú after his did something heinous in "Big Man With A Gun" the reality starts slowly sinking in of what he has done and reaches his lowest point, the instruemntal build up until the song give us vocals, this is the first time protagonist things about suicide.

>Reptile
One of the best tracks on the album, amazing vocal delivery of each line with fucking amazing instrumentals to boot, here the protagonist is seeking to relief himself, the same way he did in "Closer" but he is so damaged he sees only disgust and nothing is helping him anymore

>The Downward Spiral
Most fucked up track, sounding like a head ache, it is also the most cinematic, the protagonist is thinking with fuzzy thought as flies surrond him, until he shoots himself in the head, or imagines doing so. The way the song shows this is amazing and amazingly fading into "Hurt"

No fillers, each track you listed is significant to the concept and offers something new, unique and fucking amazing musically.
>>
>>70023522
how about i dont give a fuck about the protagonist and just want to listen to some good music?
>>
>>70023698
Then you might be a pleb.
>>
>>70023698
But I also said..

>No fillers, each track you listed is significant to the concept and offers something new, unique and fucking amazing musically.

> and offers something new, unique and fucking amazing musically.

Also, it's a concept album. You pleb.
>>
>>70023718
I'm a pleb for not being interested in the story? Fair enough
>>
>>70023759
Music is about the whole package, not just da tunez, so yes.
>>
>>70023782
>music is about
you mean music for you
>>
>>70023728
Every album is a concept.
>>
>>70023759
With the story the songs have context, they also fade into one another, with the story all the tracks have greater impact and you are being taken on a journey while also listening to amazing music. It also encourages you to listen to the entire album in order and in one go.

>>70023831
Some albums are just collection of songs without any story behind it. When some one says "concept album" it means there is a story a theme, idea throughout the entire album, not every album does that. Do you even know the term "concept album".
>>
>the becoming
>masterpiece
>most people cannot hum that shit after a listen nor remember anything from that clusterfuck of fillers in the middle towards the end of the album

you guys are really delusional and add your own ideology to those songs so they seem flawless to you, they just look pale in comparsion to the actual quality songs by NIN
>>
>>70023895
>If the song is not catchy and I cannot hum it it's baaad
>You are adding your own ideology to a concept album that is confirmed to be about suicide, you are looking at the lyrics, listening to instrumental cues that reference past or future tracks on the album, you are just making it up!

Pleb. or a baiter.
>>
>>70017179
like them although

>>70017371
gotta second this
>>
>>70023970
it's not about being catchy but about being completely and utterly forgettable
>>
>>70017371
>>70023988
shit taste
>>
>>70024001
It is one of those tracks which is kind of a grower, but it is not forgettable at all, the desperate ending, the suddenly fucked instrumentals after he says "I might slip away". The entirety having just a very nightmare feel to it, nothing is forgettable about it, it is very unique on the album, like every track, but unlike other tracks this one sounds scared whikle rest of the album is about trying to over-throw some one, this one is paranoid.
>>
i hope nin posting takes over grimes posting
>>
>>70024042
tfw no trent bf
>>
>>70024042
>tfw Trent won't hit you with his big muscular arms then apologize and cuddle right afterward by a warm fire
>>
>>70023831
god I hope this is a troll
>>
>PHM
8/10
>Broken
6.5/10
>TDS
8.5/10
>Fragile
5.5/10
>With Teeth
6/10
>Year Zero
6/10
>The Slip
7.5/10
>Hesitation Marks
6.5/10
>>
Been listening to NIN since PHM came out. PHM, Broken, Fixed, TDS and The Fragile all rule. Everything after is shit.
>>
>>70024482
you are too old to be posting on 4chan
>>
>>70023049
lmao, nin is music for 16 year old edgelors too don't be such a faggor, radiohead and nin sucks
>>
Fragile is the only album that doesn't feel like an angry manchild's Linkin Park/Ministry/Skinny Puppy/Tool
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>70024541
>Faggor
Put some effort into your bait
>>
>>70024549
are you fucking serious?
BROKEN BRUISED FORGOTTEN AND SOOOORRE TOOO FUCKED UP TO CARE ANYMORE isn't edgelord music? also don't compare NIN to any of those artists, 2nd gen industrial is garbage, Linkin Park is...Linkin Park and Tool is even fucking worse than the other three
>>
>>70024549
What the fuck are you on, that is his most depressing album

>>70024479
>That Fragile rating
Holy shit is Pretty Hate Machine overrated. It's his worst album.
>>
>>70024479
>Fragile 5.5
fucking delete this
>>
>>70024600
wrong
PHM is second gen industrial plus good songwriting
>>
>>70024609
it's a double album that's 75% filler
even the good songs have cringworthingly edgy lyrics
>>
>>70024623
It has the worst lyrics and features "That's What I Get" which is easily his worst song ever. Majority of the songs are forgettablea nd do not have much of an impact, best songs are the first three.
>>
>>70024642
Like The Downward Spiral every track builds something in the story and matters and shows us something new.

>even the good songs have cringworthingly edgy lyrics

This is coming from a guy who rated "Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry" as 8/10.
>>
>>70024644
>best songs are the first three
oh boy we got ourselves an edgy 16 year old who thinks anything remotely poppy or danceable is bad. I'll agree with you that That's What I Get isn't all that good but the rest of the tracks on that album are great examples of the electro-industrial sound Skinny Puppy failed at for so long
>>
>>70024644
TDS is basically 5 first songs being fine and rest shit
>>
>>70024674
the "story" is basically Trent crying about how hard it is being famous and how """damaged""" he is, and PMH is mostly a pop album in nature, the instrumentals and choruses on that album are great, and last I checked that's what makes a pop album good
>>
PHM is much more coherent as an album quality-wise than TDS with its fillers
>>
>>70024693
>implying Remission isn't PHM except done earlier and much better
>>
>>70024777
>Skinny Puppy
>good
>>
>>70024798
they were until Goettel died
>>
>>70024445
>>70024479
>>70024599
>>70024623
>>70024642
>trip
>contrarian ratings
>meme buzzwords
>tries to provoke people who disagree

gosh, i sure do wonder if any of this has to do with loneliness and attention seeking

what do you want from us? we'll watch you jerk off on cam. you can greentext life stories. you can post pics of yourself

we're here for you, man
>>
>>70024758
you really have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>70024693
>Oh boy we got ourselves an edgy 16 year old who thinks anything remotely poppy or danceable is bad.
Down In It is danceable as fuck.

I also like Sin and Something I Can Never Have, Ringfinger is forgettable and bland, not dancable.

"The Only Time" is pretty ok, I love its instrumentals but it is pretty forgettable besides that.

The rest I can't even remember properly. Sanctified is annoying to me as hell

>>70024758
Story is a sequel to The Downward Spiral, Somewhat Damaged is the protagonist after his attempted suicide, starting as damaged and broken from the get go. He finds some one only for that person to commit suicide, he searches through various ways to not fall into his depression, but he ends up at the same place (Album opens up with Somewhat Damaged, ends in Ripe With Decay).

Trent during The Fragile was an alcoholic, cocaine user, his grandmom who raised him died. He also has confirmed depression as an illness.

I cannot see how The Fragile is edgy, as alongside despair it also shows some marks of hope as showcased in "The Fragile (track)´" and "We're In This Together" it is just an honest album,

>>70024764
PHM is in many times bland and simple and boring.

Goddamn guys, do you know anything about the songs you listen to even.
>>
ffs Down In It is basically a remade Dig It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4D9vZvDKE
>>
>Goddamn guys, do you know anything about the songs you listen to even.

It's that fucking autist who learnt the 'meaning' of each NIN song by heart and now thinks he can appriciate music better than other listeners. KYS
>>
>>70024875
literally no one would be saying this if Trent didn't say it himself. also Down In It is miles ahead in quality so I have no problem with it being a rip off
>>
Pretty Hate Machine: 6/10
Broken: 8/10
The Downward Spiral: 10/10
Further Down The Spiral: 8/10
The Fragile: 10/10
Things Falling Apart: 7/10
Still: 9/10
With_Teeth: 8/10
Year Zero: 8/10
The Slip: 8/10
Hesitation Marks: 9/10
Not The Actual Events: 9/10
>>
>>70024907
>Doesn't know how to reply
>KYS
I am not sure if this is a bait, newfag or something. But holy damn.
>>
>>70024907
wat
>>
>>70024959
phm is 7/10 otherwise good ratings
>>
>>70024853
dude Trent even said in interviews that he came out of the Downward Sprial tours "somewhat damaged", if Fragile is a sequel to TDS then it was made terribly seeing as it lacks a coherent story line
>>
>TDS is 10/10
and Meteora is 11/10 you fucking tasteless idiots
>>
>>70025004
>it lacks a coherent story line

that would be a good criticism of a film. it's a fucking retarded criticism to make of an album though
>>
>>70024959
AHAHAHAHA funny joke sir
>giving an album a 10
>giving generic metal an 8
>giving Fragile a 10
>giving generic pop rock an 8
>giving Hesitation Marks a higher score than PHM
>>
>>70025067
not when you're calling it a concept album buddy
>>
>>70024959
WOW according to those ratings NIN is the best band in the world
let's think what are their (HIS) achivments... c-closer?
>>
>>70025122
I was talking about Broken you fucking retard, and yeah Broken is generic ass metal, prove me wrong
>>
>>70025137
he will tell you Broken is a masterpiece
he'd tell you in the end was a materpiece if it was only signed by Trent Reznor
>>
>>70025004
> it lacks a coherent story line
Okay, mother fucker.

>Somewhat Damaged is after TDS, it is referenced in future tracks as an ironic echo.
>The protagonist finds some one close to him in "We're In This Together" and "The Fragile"

>Just like you, would always say, you and me, make it through, didn't quite, fell apart

>The Fragile (track)
>I won't let you fall apart.

>We're In This Together
>You and me, we're in this together now, none of them can stop us now.

The protagonist let's her to fall apart, she dies and commits suicide in La Mer. In Great Below he thinks about jumping after her so she could take his place, it doesn't work obviously and in "The Way Out Is Through" he gets out of the water and attempts to fight againts his depression in different ways, unfortunately now through drugs as he did in TDS and he is thrown apart once again and the depression takes him back.

>>70025075
Hesitation Marks is better than PMH in every way. You obviously have not listened to With_Teeth.

>>70025137
>Broken
>Generic ass metal
Damn, I seemed to struck a nerve there. Sure, an album that is the most industrial release from NIN, with two instrumental tracks is generic.

>Giving an album a 10
I cannot find any faults in TDS or The Fragile personally
>Generic pop rock an 8
Is this for The Slip or With_Teeth? Both are wrong though.

This shows me you clearly have listened to the albums you rate the highest the most and din't properly listen to the rest.
¨
>>70025154
Broken is no master piece, it is good though, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are the master pieces though.
>>
>>70024510
:(
>>
>>70024959
Also forgot about Fixed, Fixed would be 8/10 or something like that.
>>
>>70024959
Shit and Year Zero Remix, probably 8/10 for that.
>>
fuck that autist is still posting about connections between songs and unironically thinks a teenager-aimed band has 2 MASTERPIECES in its discography and the rest of albums are minor works of genius
im truly in awe of how delusional you are and still functioning
>>
>>70022085
Because they're Indians. I mean, these people shit on the fucking street.
>>
>>70025190
>Broken
>most industrial
uhh I don't think so buddy, that album is more guitar heavy than everything else NIN released in the 90s, Happiness in Slavery and Physical are definitely not generic but the rest of it? pretty fucking generic

lyrical motif ≠ story line
and going by your little "story" for the album how does this work as a sequel to TDS? as you mention, this album seems to mention a girl a lot and the women mentioned in TDS are either ex's the protagonist is pissed at or rape victims
I have listened to With Teeth plenty and the more I listened to it the more I realized how generic it is. sounds mostly like a combo of 90s and 00s alt rock to me
>>
>>70025244
that's where I agree with you, Fixed is a great album, I would rate it a 9/10 honestly
>>
>>70025257
It's amazing how you still do not know how to properly reply to comments. Do you think that tracks are not somehow connected for example if in The Downward Spiral there are three instances of the sentence "nothing can stop me now" and each time that sentence appears the protagonist changes and stuff gets worse.

Does that make me autistic for clearly noticing this connection which is clearly intended? Or are you too insecure to admit that you never noticed this even though when the album is discussed this is very well known?

What about the Closer ending with piano that is cleary referencing "The Downward Spiral (track)" piano, foreshadowing his suicide? Jesus fucking christ, how autistic of me to notice something that is clearly intentional,

>>70025301
And how is Gave Up generic? The only track that seems very traditional is Wish.

> as you mention, this album seems to mention a girl a lot and the women mentioned in TDS are either ex's the protagonist is pissed at or rape victims

In "The Fragile" track the guy clearly finds another girl who is going through her own downward spiral. He found brand some one new.

>sounds mostly like a combo of 90s and 00s alt rock to me

>All The Love In The World
>Beside You In Time
>Righ Where It Belongs
>Sunspots
>Every Day Is Exactly The Same

I would not call these generic in the slightest and still offer plenty of variety.

>>70025325
Glad to hear we can agree on something senpai.
>>
>>70025257

You sound angry, why does that trigger you so much?
>>
>>70026556
He feels like he is called stupid when some one found greater meaning and hidden depths in an album he has himself not found and didn't consider it just a collection of good songs.
>>
>>70017179
Downward Spiral is pretty good, a couple of other albums have some worthwhile material, namely Year Zero and The Slip. Other than that, not much interest.
>>
I AM FORGIVEN
I AM FREE
I AM A FIELD OF FIRE.
>>
NIN is edgy but it works if you are in a Shitty place and need catharsis.

>>70027656
*on*
>>
File: tumblr_lqc277Txuu1r24v6zo1_500.jpg (201KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lqc277Txuu1r24v6zo1_500.jpg
201KB, 495x700px
>itt
>>
In these days of post-irony i welcome cheesy and sincere edgy lyrics
>>
>>70029457
this
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.