[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the appeal of this album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: folder.jpg (193KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
193KB, 600x600px
what's the appeal of this album
>>
drugs
and lucid dreaming
>>
>>69992335
It's pretty good
>>
People incapable of judging albums as a whole and judging them solely by their highlights. Because overall, it's an incredibly average album with remarkable moments throughout.
>>
File: le.jpg (12KB, 239x366px) Image search: [Google]
le.jpg
12KB, 239x366px
>>69993450
retard
>>
>>69993450
but thats how every aphex twin album is...
>>
>>69993450
lol
>>
it's like 2 hours long and nothing really happens. like stars of the lid, or lost in translation. comfy af
>>
It's pretty much a collection of stock ambient score. Still pretty good overall
>>
Rhubarb. Seriously that track is eternal
>>
>>69992335

It captures several of the basic human moods, or atmospheres with which we associate emotions: foreboding, love, studious contemplation, creepy places, deep sea dives, children at play. It does these various moods while holding to a specific production logic, and IMHO it has aged far, far better than SAW 85-92.

The melodic progressions of most of the tracks are just close enough to pop music to hold attention. In this sense, since there are definite, simple melodies at work and you can clearly hear the electronic production of the thing, it still sounds "modern" and not "hokey" like a compilation of some "new age" music. Most everybody can point to at least a few tracks that they quite like, even if they have an (incorrect) lower opinion of the whole like this guy does >>69993450 . Rhubarb isn't my favorite song but everyone constantly talks about it, for example. For my part, I liked Blue Calx best when younger, then of course Stone in Focus for a time. But now, if I had to pick one, I'd say (Tree). The fan-made verbal association frames the headspace very nicely for me: we're out in a Black Forest somewhere, trying to get out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKyD6n2DHPU

SAW II is the best thing that RDJ ever did, I've known that for years. But I'll push it one step further. Just this past year, I finally realized that SAW II is my single favorite album, period. I've said this before on /mu/ and I'll say it again: if I were being sent up for a dime in prison or to a desert island, I'd gladly take this one album and very likely not get completely sick of it.
>>
>>69993450
>listening to electronic music as albums instead of single
>>
Theres a really good ~70 minute album inside of SAW II

1. Cliffs
2. Rhubarb
3. Grass
4. Curtains
5. Tree
6. Blue Calx
7. Parallel Stripes
8. Shiny Metal Rods
9. Z-twig
10. Lichen
11. Spots
12. Matchsticks
>>
rankin the tracks from worst to best imho

>Spots
>Mold
>Grey Stripe
>Shiny Metal Rods
>Tassels
>White Blur 1
>White Blur 2
>Blur
>Z Twig
>Hankie
>Domino
>Windowsill
>Parallel Stripes
>Grass
>Weathered Stone
>Matchsticks
>Radiator
>Tree
>Cliffs
>Hexagon
>Blue Calx
>Rhubarb
>Lichen
>Stone In Focus
>Curtains
this was actually ridiculously difficult as this album is so incredible

another fun thing I noticed recently, grass and mold have nearly identical melodies, seen best in the middle of grass and the beginning of mold
>>
maybe this album is too old for you, go back to your bandcamp/souncloud/youtube tier ambient
>>
>>69995678
Lichen is so damn beautiful, and so damn sampled, same with rhubarb
my fav track is parallel stripes, that track is fucking scary and calm at the same time
>>
>>69995343
If only even a third of this board was as dedicated to actual discussion as this anon. Great post. I love stuff with that childlike yet dreamy and creepy vibe, and SAWII is one of the best at it.
>>
>>69992335
None. Ambient is pointless.
>>
>>69996499
everything is pointless
so why make or attach your own meaning

idiot
>>
>>69995888
Instead of jacking off to my post and complaining about this board why don't you produce some good post yourself faggot
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.