[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

drumming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
29KB, 300x300px
Any drummers out there? I'm trying to get into playing the drum set, but not sure where to start/work on. I already have some experience with rudiments and keeping simple beats, but any beginner advice/lessons would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to build a more solid foundation. Looking for recommendations regarding:
>websites
>YouTube channels/videos
>books
>songs to cover
>any helpful advice/information
I'm mostly into indie rock, but I'd like to gradually venture out into other genres (e.g., metal, jazz, punk, progressive).
>>
>indie rock
daily reminder that rock is for failed jazz drummers
>>
If you haven't got a kit yet get an electric kit

They're quieter, more portable and can be multiple different kits in one
>>
>>69991236
that's probably true for some of the better rock drummers but i doubt half of them even listen to jazz
>>
>>69991239
I've got one right now. It's cheap and doesn't feel that great, but still effective in letting me transfer ideas/learnings into muscle and memory. Have inconsistent access to an actual drum kit at a local studio, too.
>>
Drummer for 15 years here.
Get a teacher, get a book and learn every beat in it. Listen to a song and try and copy it. thats all
>>
Get Ted Reed's Syncopation and Bass Drum Technqiue books
Joe Cusatis's Rudimental Patterns is a hard book but is great for using different rudiments and ideas around the kit
For indie rock drumming, listen to/play along with these albums
Bloc Party- Silent Alarm
Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights
Dismemberment Plan- Emergency & I
Silversun Pickups- Carnavas
>>
>>69991206
This thread is relevant to my interests

Behind me sits my brand new (3 days) Alesis Command electric kit. I have added a double bass pedal I got for free from a friend and I have 2 mesh toms coming to replace the rubber toms (I will move one of them over so I have 4 total)

So far I have been just watching youtube videos and doing what they say, stone cold beginner videos. I am having a hard time getting all 4 of my limbs to do different things at once but it seems to actually be getting a little easier.

Is it worth learning to read drum sheet music yet? Should I be working on learning that while I learn beats?
>>
I have been a drummer for 10 years. I actually don't think you should get a teacher. I taught myself everything just by listening and I got pretty damn good. Drums is an easy instrument to learn yourself.

Just practice a shit load.
>>
>>69994252
It isn't worth learning to read drum sheet music ever.

Four limb independence is tough, and should seem impossible at first. The only way to improve is practice.
>>
>>69992417
Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget and most professional or certified teachers are too expensive/far distanced for me.

>>69994252
Thanks for the book and album recs. Honestly excited to try these out. Currently, I have The New Breed by Gary Chester for trying to develop independence for each of my limbs.

>>69994252
I'm jealous of your kit.; like I said in an earlier post, I cheaped out on mine, an Alesis DM Lite kit. Sound and rebound aren't that great, but it's what I got for now.
From what I've heard, you don't really need to learn sheet music depending on your musical goals, but it couldn't hurt to have it as a skill as it broadens your potential for learning. Keep at it!

>>69994275
I've been learning by myself these days, but when I was super young, my parents had me attend drum corp lessons. Hated most of it because I was an impatient kid and my instructor was a bit of an abrasive/talkative person. However, I'm grateful; through him, I acquired basic rudiment knowledge which I've still retained to this day with muscle memory. While I don't think it's completely necessary, I do see a lot of self-taught drummers in local bands having trouble with technique.
>>
>>69995680
The only reason I could afford this kit is because there is an ebay seller selling them for 499 with free shipping. I had planned on a Nitro or Forge kit, but with this kit being $201 lower than EVERYWHERE else, I couldn't afford to pass it up, I figure I will never want a lower end drum kit (I have the same philosophy with TVs, I will never wish I had a smaller TV) so I jumped on it. It was about $100 out of my budget, but for a deal like that, I made the stretch.
The 2 mesh toms I have coming (I believe from a DMX10 kit) only cost me $80 shipped and are in mint shape. Ill be picking them up from my mail place today.
>>
>>69995129
Ok cool, one less thing to worry about.

Time to go practice some more! I am trying to get MINIMUM 30 minutes in every day, with 1 hour being the goal. As I get a little better I will probably start to play longer since playing actual beats is going to be more fun I would imagine (although I am having fun anyway)
>>
Guy who bought the Command kit 3 days ago here.

Is it worth going to take actual in person lessons or will I be ok doing online stuff? The Youtube videos and such seem pretty great.

Am I fucking up going straight to a double kick pedal? Should I learn single kick speed first or will it still come to me anyway?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.