[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Drum & Percussion General/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: peart.jpg (821KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
peart.jpg
821KB, 1200x675px
So the last thread got like 50 replies, let's give this a try.
Here's a pastebin of stuff I collected in an hour or so, what else should I add to the essential reading/listening parts?
>http://pastebin.com/aJE0FNBS
Questions of the day:
>What's the one song that you play everytime you sit behind your set?
>Are you in a band?
>Do you play other instruments?
>>
drums r gay lol
>>
File: Screenshot_20161229-164524.png (165KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161229-164524.png
165KB, 720x1280px
>>69969262
No u
>>
File: IMG_20161229_144707.jpg (180KB, 1262x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161229_144707.jpg
180KB, 1262x758px
Terrible phone camera but here's my TD-11KV, played for a couple of months mainly just basic excercises and jamming to easy listening stuff. Gonna book some lessons in the new year for discipline's sake.

Any newbie advice appreciated, I struggle with a consistent kick beat for one.
>>
>>69969298
heck wrong pic.
Someone posted this yesterday tho and it's great
>>
>>69969262
fpbp
>>
>>69969402
>I struggle with a consistent kick beat for one
Well the only waay to get better at being consistent is playing more, make sure count out loud, accenting the kicks. Realistic Rock also helped me a lot with kick timing and stuff,so check that out
>>
Toe has some awesome fucking drumming. I'd give my left nut to play like that guy and I'm a guitarist.
>>
>>69969226
Probably SOAD- Bounce, it's fast and energetic but short and pretty easy so it gives me a good warm up
>Are you in a band?
Yeah but we suck
Not yet but once I have enough money I'll pick up either a keyboard or some kind of brass- probably trumpet.
>>
>>69969617
Heard only good shit about them but never got around to actually listening to them, where should I start?
>>
>>69969550
My problem is my right foot mimics my right hand so I lose the kick beat during tempo changes and stuff like that.

You're right though, practice is the answer. I'm watching a few youtube videos on how to seperate the two as well.
>>
>>69969716
Start with 'The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety'
It's solid front to back. It's like American Football's 'Never Meant'
but on crack, instrumental, and for a whole album. I really recommend it. 'For Long Tomorrow' is their debut album and it's good, but not nearly as good as the other I mentioned.

Then, if you like that or want something similar, try Euphone. Either album, but I prefer Hashin' It Out.
>>
>>69969226

the first drum part of Good Morning, Captain
Yes
Yes
>>
>>69969820
I'll check them out when I can,thx senpai
>>
>>69969226
I used to play to songs but I don't really anymore, I mostly use warm ups and exercises to practice so I can actually focus on something instead of just jamming
>Are you in a band?
Yeah, pretty fun so far. We're working on an EP and trying to get gigs but our studio manager is a little drugged out fuck full of excuses
>Do you play other instruments
Yeah Ive been learning guitar for about a year and am pretty happy with my progress so far, and have been learning a bit of piano to help with music theory understanding. I've also recently been trying to make my own little projects in ableton.
>Fav drummer
Probably Bernard Purdie
>>
For anyone trying to really understand and wrap their head around drumming I recommend trying to join your local college's drumline, some DCI group or some indoor percussion ensemble. Drumline gave me a pretty complex understanding of both rhythm and rudiments. The quickest way to improve is to surround yourself with people who are crazy good.
>>
>>69970242
Something that sucks tho is that they don't let you do that stuff after age 22, so do it if you can
>>
File: sad_pepe.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sad_pepe.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>tfw ever since I moved to college I need to pay for studio sessions if I want to play

feels bad man
>>
>>69969669
that's an aesthetic af number
>>
>>69970270
Practice pads
>>
>>69970270
>tfw 2.5 world Balkan so had to pay always
You at least had the chance at some point
>>
>>69969226
Basket Case
>Are you in a band?
Yeah but I want to write songs while the rest want to keep playing covers, so I'm considering to quit.
Piano, have been playing for longer than I've been playing drums
>>
>>69970270
E-kit guy here, thing is pretty damn quiet with a mat and pedal shock absorbers.
>>
How do I build a decent yet inexpensive kit for a beginner to learn on? What should my budget be?
>>
>>69970346
I have no room for an E-kit (let alone an acoustic) and I've already got a bretty gud practice pad.
>>
>>69970367
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udooOap4m2c
I tried these on my old kit and it actually works well.
Give it a shot (assuming you bought a cheap kit).
>>
>>69970367
I wouldn't spend more than 500-600 as a beginner, that depends on your income tho. And always look for second hand.
>>
>>69970406
I second this
>>
>>69970339
>Yeah but I want to write songs while the rest want to keep playing covers
Worst feel
>>
Spider in the Snow by The Dismemberment Plan
>Are you in a band?
Yes, we play alternative metal and groove metal.
Besides other various percussion stuff, nothing. I can sing well though
>>
Goodbye by toe. I cant play it well but it's hella fun
>Are you in a band?
nah,
Guitar mainly, might save up for a keyboard at one point
>>
>>69970406
dubious when I first saw that, thousands worth of mic gear and cobus is a fantastic drummer

but hey if it works
>>
>>69970466
I played in a shitty metal band for a few months

They kicked me out because I suggested we do originals instead of the same 80s crap over and over

Also cuz I didn't practice lel

>>69969226
> one song I play
Take five or seventy times seven

> In a band?
Nah

> other instruments
I'm learning the piano and the ableton
Pretty good at the protools though
>>
>>69970808

Good for you, cover bands are middle-aged man tier. Why wouldn't you want to have fun and write/perform your own stuff even if it's shit

The drummer is easily the worst member to lack practice though kek
>>
>Been playing for years along to songs on an acoustic kit
>Start playing on an electric
>I'm horribly out of time
>I'd been playing out of time very loudly for years
Why did noone just tell me I was garbage?
>>
>>69971045
Also the questions:
>Song
You Won't Know
>Band
No, but I want to be and have had a few jams with my friends
>Instruments
Picked up the guitar again recently, and started to try and learn about synthesizers with the microbrute.
>>
>>69970808
ay mloa I had the same problem but in my case both me and the bassist wanted to make original stuff so the guitarist was forced to leave
>>
>>69971045
How good is the v-kit

Hi-hats have notoriously bad response on even mid range models which can throw your timing off
>>
>>69970466
Well we do a lot of improv too, sounds really good and I suggested to write down what we play.
But yeah, worst feel.
>>
>>69971045
That's why playing with a band,even just a bassist or guitarist is so important
>>
>>69971467
It's a TD-25, so higher end of midrange, and whilst there's a certain amount of getting used to it. I think it's more just cause I never focused on rudiments/timing when I was learning, and always thought I was doing okay with it. (although I did feel as though I played better on acoustic kits)
The cymbals are the thing I miss the most, just can't get the same massive sound out of vdrums.

>>69971469
Yeah definitely, I'm going to get access to a jam room with a kit in it in the new year and try go their with my flatmates a lot more often. Never did it in the past cause my friends didn't play music and I was too embarrassed to have to ask to join a band with people I don't know
>>
>>69971468
>Be me & band
>Do a nice improv
>Hey guys why don't we write that down
>Nah mate I'll remember it I'm not retarded it's like 5 notes xd
>never hear it again
>>
>>69971555
Yeah, hence why I'm going to see an instructor for a few weeks. Developing practice techniques are just as important as playing and imo you can only really learn that one to one.

With you on the cymbals too, you can't get anywhere near the dynamical control with rubber pads.
>>
>>69971676
Yeah that's a good idea, I've been wanting to get some lessons for a while, just been caught up with Uni work and other stuff I want/need to spend money on.
I've got the cymbal pads about to where I want them, but they still don't pop or sustain enough for my liking, and as you say can't get super expressive with them.
>>
File: 1482456098486.gif (876KB, 450x342px) Image search: [Google]
1482456098486.gif
876KB, 450x342px
>>69971575

sounds eerily familiar
>>
how do I in2 polyrhythms?
>>
Any drummers in the Houston area interested in blackgaze/post black metal?
>>
>>69972046
https://youtu.be/tAeQWfpzhm0
I don't like shilling but this video explains it pretty well
>>
>>69972070
https://youtu.be/1VgtO1Q-61c
Also this one
Basically you just gotta get the feel, I like to think of my snare/kick pattern as the metronome and on top of it I just play the ride pattern
>>
>>69973739
this was meant for >>69972046
>>
I still can't into cross-stick. By that I mean flipping the stick around and reverting seamlessly. Jazz drummers in particular I see do it instantaneously and guides on the internet are all shit.
>>
>>69969820
>>69970032
HOLY FUCK
I just listened to it and it's fucking god tier
>>
>>69973739
this series is actually great, ty
>>
>>69974698
Yeah, I guarantee that if you watch the whole series on polyrhythms and get the hang on them you'll be able to write your own and play them even in an improv situation
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.