[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Richard James so unpopular with normies who listen to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: aphex-twin-electronic-beats.jpg (101KB, 1000x849px) Image search: [Google]
aphex-twin-electronic-beats.jpg
101KB, 1000x849px
Why is Richard James so unpopular with normies who listen to electronic music? Like one day I was browsing normiebook and some edm site had a poll where they said "name your 5 favorite DJs / electronic musicians" and nobody named him while on various sophisticated music discussion sites over the Internet he's always regarded as one of the best of all time.
>>
Why do you care?

And besides, Aphex Twin is like THE normie electronic musician. He's still good tho.
>>
>>69965567
are u kidding me. he's every normies fav electronic artist

also he isn't "edm"
>>
File: normie_electro.png (652KB, 995x705px) Image search: [Google]
normie_electro.png
652KB, 995x705px
>>69965602
>>69965634

What are you talking about?? This is an example of what normies that listen to 'electronic music' listen to and what they associate electronic music with. A collection of random shitty top40 DJs.
>>
>>69965702
>carl cox
>shitty
you are the pleb, you don't know anything about dance music,. richard himself would tell u to fuck off
>>
>>69965567
/bleep/ here
There are two types of normies:
Fratboys doing "mollies" to shit like Tiesto and David Guetta. This is the "edm site" demographic.
Hipsters who get their music taste from p4k and and say they like Aphex Twin to cultivate the appearance of genre eclecticism with a shallow understanding of "it's intelligent music so it nust be good". This is your (and /mu/'s) demographic.

Also "electronic" isn't a genre, it's a mode of production.
>>
>>69965567
hes like the most popular IDM artist in the world, lots of normies know him
>>
>>69965757
any push up man in
>>
File: 6vScT.jpg (137KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
6vScT.jpg
137KB, 717x880px
>>69965757
>/bleep/ here

Is there a more plebbit way to start a reply? As far as I noticed from my few visits there they always start posts like "PHYSICIAN HERE :D", "FIREFIGHTER HERE :D", "NUCLEAR PHYSICIST HERE READY TO CLEAR UP ANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS :D"
>>
>>69965731
>afrojack
>avicii
>calvin harris
>tiesto
>hardwell
>nicky romero
>DAVID FUCKING GUETTA

did you completely miss the rest of that picture?
>>
>>69965731
Carl Cox is shit lol. I don't care what Richard would say. And even if he was good (which he isn't) you still can't deny that the majority of that poster is filled with utter tripe.
>>
>>69965702
I got cancer just from seeing this
>>
>>69965824
So you admit you've never listened to Carl Cox, good to know
>>
>>69965634
IDM is subgenre of EDM
>>
>>69965849
Kek I actually have listened to him but if staying in denial helps you sleep at night then who am I to judge
>>
>>69965824
carl cox is a legend you fucking dunce. leave the basement for once and hit the dance floor
>>69965823
are you really trying to compare edm to what aphex twin makes. all of those you listed have two different goals in minds than what aphex twin makes. its idiotic to compare them just because they all happen to make their music electronically
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOLE1YE_oFQ
>>
>>69965702
>Plastikman
>Carl Cox
>Fatboy Slim
>Booka Shade
>Thievery Corporation

Either these guys have all gone way mainstream EDM since I last listened to them or they're really out of place on that lineup
>>
>>69965731
Pretty sure Richard has played Richie Hawtin/Plastikman tracks in his DJ sets too. Would be very fucking surprised if he hadn't.
>>
>>69965879
t. triggered rave faggot

I don't care if Carl Cox is a "legend," his music sucks ass. It has little to no depth and is extremely bland. The best I can say about his music is that it is listenable. Go back to spending your parents money on a trip to Tomorrowland.
>>
>>69965925
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8mKpfFU1_M
>>
what a fucking shit thread
>>
>>69965702
>Hot Chip
What
>>
>>69965702
>Crystal castles
>Shitty
>Pick one
>>
>>69965933
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCnVY1Ftgs
>>
>>69965567
well the normies love to rave on NIN and Grimes apparently. i hope it fucks off and we can make IDM great again.
>>
>>69965864
not true
>>
>>69965757
>Aphex Twin
>eclectic

what the fuck is going on. is this bizarro /mu/?

I absolutely love aphex twin so don't take this as a criticism but he's literally the most popular, the most entry level and accessable electronic musician.
>>
>>69965567
If you're calling him a music genius, I don't suppose you've heard of Brian Eno, Jean Michel Jarre, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Xenakis, Edgar Varese, Terry Riley, Klaus Schulze, etc. Try listening to those.
>>
>>69969302
how is brian eno any more of a genius than aphex tin
>>
>>69969332
*twin
>>
File: 1477145017494.png (1MB, 1029x1164px) Image search: [Google]
1477145017494.png
1MB, 1029x1164px
>>69969332
Let's see how Karlheinz Stockhausen would explain that.
>>
>>69969380
You can hate him all you want, but there is no real argument against what he said. He summarized it perfectly.
>>
>>69969302
>Jean Michel Jarre, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Xenakis, Edgar Varese, Terry Riley, Klaus Schulze,
All pretty shit and recycled ideas of each other just as much as the people they influenced
And you're really going to throw Jean Michael Jarre into the mix with them as well?
Like really dude?
>>
>>69969380
damn dean blunt btfo
>>
>>69965567
His music is weird and inaccesible compared to the house/electro-house/dubstep/dnb/110bpm stuff that most casual EDM fans like. Most of it is barely even dance music.
>>
>>69969507
>I have no real arguments
>I'll just call whatever he likes shit
On a more serious note, you have a point about Jean Michel Jarre. He wouldn't really fit into the list.
>>
>>69969380
Honestly, Autechre should be in that genius side line, not Solex (lol) or Sasu Ripatti (even if he's awesome yes).

Also many of those avant-garde composers have more importance for their theory studies on music, they have done at maximum four or five compositions which got real musical importance, a lot of their works were circle jerking wankery which remains in the academic ambit only.
>>
Pretty much anything he's done has been done better by other producers.
>>
>>69969549
This is the only correct answer in this thread. What on earth are you other people even talking about is totally beyond me.

Also, the other reason is that he was fairly inactive from 2001 to 2014 which means that most people who are now teenagers and very young adults (i.e. the listeners of EDM) haven't heard of him and he didn't release many singles, let alone top40 singles anyway.

He's simply inaccessible to normies. Which also means that this person is incorrect: >>69969125
>>
>>69970597
>plenty of aphex twin songs on youtube are in the millions of views
>inaccessible to normies
m8 you need to fuck off
>>
Can someone make a thread for sharing house/techno/disco/club tunes etc? I cant create threads from AUS and I wanna share + find some new tunes.
>>
is AT edm? i thought he plays idm
>>
>>69970662
Wow, his most viewed song has 4 million views - that really puts David Guetta's and Martin Garrix's videos with 900+ million views to shame!

m8 YOU need to fuck off and open your eyes
>>
>>69965702
Yeasayer are really out of place on that lineup
>>
>>69970095
>Also many of those avant-garde composers have more importance for their theory studies on music, they have done at maximum four or five compositions which got real musical importance, a lot of their works were circle jerking wankery which remains in the academic ambit only.
>Using wankery as an argument
Sigh... I hope you realize that by defintion, avant-garde musicians don't seek commercial exposure and success and also, avant-garde musicians tend to change the norms of how music is written and performed, which they did - even if they remain known in mostly academic circles. Your suggestion that any musician making whichever subgenre of EDM should be in any genius list - I'm not even going to dignify with a response.
>>
if you want some good UK shit check out Blawan, he's an absolute mad man. Best songs of his are Iddy, Getting me down and 6 to 6 licks deserves a mention too.
>>
>>69971135
>4million ppl can't be normies
m8 you really need some fresh air
>>
>>69970597
>He's simply inaccessible to normies.
>Makes a subgenre of EDM, one of the most commercially successful and viable genres
That's not how it works.
>>
File: 1472788410844s.jpg (3KB, 81x124px) Image search: [Google]
1472788410844s.jpg
3KB, 81x124px
>>69970811
ozzbro check out disclosure, skream and some of the older Uk garage artists. If you play that a party people will lose their shit.

Check out the boiler rooms guys, so many different artists and playlists to poach tracks from for dj sets. Best boiler room that got taken off was Disclosure Skream B2B set.

Alter ego sets are absolute class too, famous musicians doing musical sets of genres of music they are not famous for. (High Contrast) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNAUu4RgK0
>>
>>69969380

low quality bait.
>>
>>69973240
>Makes no arguments, therefore:
>low quality bait.
Nicely done.
>>
>>69972844
>autechre
>EDM
>>
>>69969380
"No fun allowed" -Karlheinz Stockhaussen
>>
>>69969462
I sort of agree but there can still be art and creativity despite heavy repetition. Burial, RDJ, OPN all use repetitions while still progressing the other aspects of the song through other instruments and effects.
>>
>>69973668
pretty much
>>
>>69969380
Karlheinz "9/11 is the greatest work of art in history" Stockhausen is the bombastic Apollonean nerd trying to deprive people from the Dyonisian orgy of the senses
And whoever made that silly chart apparently never listened to Vlad Delay; his music is full of "repetition"
>>
>>69975829
>Karlheinz "9/11 is the greatest work of art in history" Stockhausen
did he actually say this? kek
>>
>>69965807
>triggered

>>69965925
if you listened to carl cox back in the day you would not say that, he was a pioneer in dance music. sorry kid
>>
>>69969380
old fart hates experimentation in music
call the fucking presses
>>
>>69976169
>Karlheinz hates experimentation
Can you hear yourself? What he actually said is that he hates whoring music out for money.
>>
>>69975829
Vlad Delay makes techno music and Stockhausen clearly explained that he doesn't appreciate repetition aka drum beat loops and whoring music out for money, which techno, EDM and other subgenres of EDM are. I don't think he's infallible and neither is any human being and I think his points still stand.
>>
>>69976374
>his points still stand
no they don't. he's just an ivory tower madman totally disconnected from reality
all these genres are still hardly profitable if you're not churning out straight up garbage like big room house and playing festivals
his "post-african rhythms" criticism of afx is evidence to this. he sees music as only a vehicle for experimentation
>>
>>69965567
>Richard James
dumbass has two first names lol
>>
>>69976553
>he sees music as only a vehicle for experimentation
And what's wrong with this (given that he actually considered music only as a vehicle for experimentation)? Should all musicians sing about their asses, underwear and love affairs?
>>
>>69965702
To be fair, Richard never made straight up EDM. He kinda transitioned from Ambient Techno right into IDM.
>>
>>69976607
that's my point: they coexist and are not mutually exclusive. he apparently had a problem with this very innocuous notion
>>
>>69965602
>i'm so edgy my music is so obscure, aphex is so normie compared with my shit
he's well known here
and probably the most famous idm producer but that's it
>>
i hate this neo neo /mu/ threads
>no squarepusher, ever
>hate aphex cause he's popular now xD
>old autrechre is shit :P
>Bored of canada amirite? lmao
>>
>>69977249
That's because Squarepusher made like 1, maybe 2 tracks worth listening to.
>>
>>69977249
>diverging opinions trigger me
you should try reddit
>>
>>69969380

Can't dance to these nobodies.
>>
Name someone greater than Autechre today.
Protip: you can't, and if you do you're lying to yourself.
>>
>>69977249
>aphex twin is so entry level i listen to actual good music like jeff mills, dj sprinkles, list could go on.. x-D
>>
>>69965702
hahaha wtf are crystal castles, yeasayer, and hot chip doing there
>>
>>69977549
noone.
>>
>>69977549
>autechre
>a today band

no good albums since 2001, mate
>>
>>69978413
obvious bait
>>
>>69976639
Yeah he did, listen to Classics or Analogue Bubblebath. He released loads of straight up acid techno and hardcore in the early 90s
>>
>>69978530
Thanks for the recs, I never did listen to any of his other aliases
>>
>>69978413
>i haven't listened to exai and to the last 4 hour long monster that blast all the electronic shit of today right in the garbage
>>
>>69978581
Holly Herndon > Exai and elseq
>>
>>69977249
>>69977338
Hard Normal Daddy, Go Plastic and Do You Know Squarepusher are great though.
>>
>>69978659
I like Hello Everything too

pls no bully
>>
>>69978544
What's the thing with those aliases anyway?

>Also Known As
Richard David James [birth name], The Aphex Twin, AFX, Bradley Strider, Blue Calx, Caustic Window, The Dice Man, GAK, Martin Tressider, Polygon Window, Power-Pill, Q-Chastic, Richard D. James, Soit-P.P., The Tuss

Why would you release music under so many aliases?!
>>
>>69978659
I agree, although he's not as great as aphex twin, autechre or boc. But his bass playing brings something the other 3 can't bring to the table
>>
>>69978709
It was common in those days for dance music producers, also, after like 1997 he only kept using afx and the tuss
>>
>>69978544
Listen to On EP and Surfing on Sine Waves too. This song is an absolute banger

https://youtu.be/9neHCT16Ll4
>>
>>69977338
the entirety of feed me weird things is gold though
>>
File: Synths at Redwood 2.jpg (389KB, 1600x1026px) Image search: [Google]
Synths at Redwood 2.jpg
389KB, 1600x1026px
how the fuck does he have that EMS Synthi 100? He doesn't make that much money off of his music does he?
>>
>>69980825
also I'm sure he has tons of modular, any pics of his studio?

Same thing with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith.
I really wonder how she affords all of that modular gear.
>>
>>69978659
>>69978671
>all these plebs that don't enjoy just a souvenir
>>
>>69978637
"lol"
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.