[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John Cage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: John_Cage_(1988).jpg (2MB, 1811x2415px) Image search: [Google]
John_Cage_(1988).jpg
2MB, 1811x2415px
Famous for his 4'33" piece and many other absurd compositions.
However, what are the best and essential works of him?
And what do you think he influenced most in music?
>>
>>69933585
In a Landscape and Dream were my favorites
His influence was mainly freedom of composition "everything is music"
>>
>Famous for his 4'33"

and yet he hates taking credit for it
>>
>>69933649
first post nailed it
also he also helped start chance composition, but no one really cares about that.
>>
Listen to his complete piano works.
>>
>>69933585
4'33 is poseurcore
>>
>>69933731
>chance composition
Explain to a anon that has minimal knowledge on music theory
>>
>>69933585
imo he's more interesting to read about than listen to
>>
>>69933902
It's about taking the composers influence out of the composition, using some method where chance decides the pitch and rhythm of the piece, so that the composition was not written by anyone.
>>
>>69933923
If you ever have the chance to see somebody perform his works live, do it. I saw a group of four instrumentalists perform a free form sort of performance based around Cageian structures. It's fun.
>>
File: Myprepguitar.jpg (33KB, 332x409px) Image search: [Google]
Myprepguitar.jpg
33KB, 332x409px
he started people doing this shit
>>
>>69934018
preforming it yourself is fun too if you have some things to stick between your piano strings
>>
>>69933923
Got any recommended books?

>>69933961
So those pieces would be random?

>>69934029
Thus, the Sonic Youth were born!
>>
>>69934018
good point. seeing his stuff performed live would be lots of fun. i was thinking more recorded works

>>69934198
haven't read a lot but what i have read got me hooked quickly. Silence: Lectures and Writings by Cage and The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross are good (the latter goes into lots of 20th cty guys but Cage gets a fair amt of mentions). then there's a book i bought called The Selected Letters of John Cage which i have not read yet
>>
to me hes more of a performance artist than composer

thinks outside the box and is really interesting regarding prepared piano and all the performance stuff like water music but like harmonically hes boring and tame.

though he even said himself he doesnt give a shit about harmony. even some of his more tonal stuff sounds so boring and trite like the melodies and harmonies

the only things of his ill give a listen occasionally are in a landscape and dream and rarely the interludes and sonatas for prepared piano
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.