[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Lars's double bass on Dyer's Eve phony?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: LarsUlrichComicCon.jpg (15KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
LarsUlrichComicCon.jpg
15KB, 320x213px
It's notable that he's never ever used double bass on any other Metallica track (that I know of) and also it seems like they never tried to play this song live back in the day. After canvassing Youtube videos and setlist.fm, it appears that DE was only played live once, in the early 90s as part of an audience-requested encore. In this performance, Lars omits the double bass part just like he does in their more recent concerts. I've seen no evidence that he could ever play the studio version of the song.

Possible explanations:

1. Lars actually did play it in the studio. He practiced double bass until he had good enough stamina for it, then quit and let his calves get out of shape. Which makes him a shitty, lazy drummer because Dave Lombardo is in his 50s and still plays double bass at the same speed as the records.
2. Studio editing. The track overdubbed a sped up recording of Lars playing double bass
3. Performance enhancing drugs (Lars was a known cokehead back in the day)
>>
Nobody care about Lars
>>
>>69924261
>It's notable that he's never ever used double bass on any other Metallica track
What? He uses double bass in a lot of songs. He just sucks at it, especially live.

The "gunfire part" in One is a notable example.
>>
Why are you even cracking your brain about this? What if the answer is 'yes', what if it's 'no'? What difference does that make to your personal life? Just trying to point out that there might be slightly more important things on this planet than finding the answer to your question.
>>
>>69924444
>asking a music question on the music board is so terrible

I think the drum bursts on "One" are impressive and super tight. That alone would lead me to believe Lars (assuming he actually did play on the record without studio editing) did at one time have skills. Once you can get those bursts that accurate you'd have way more double bass stuff in your arsenal so I wouldn't rule out that Lars did everything on "Dyer's Eve" himself. I'd assume that the recording was done with lots of punch-ins/editing though.
>>
Blackened had a short bit of DB, I'm sure of it.

Lars is a shit human and sucks in a lot of ways but he was cowriter for 96% of the music in the band and handled a lot of the business aspects.
>>
>>69924444
gtfo.
>>
>>69924444
Nice quads.

This is an anonymous anime-themed music board--we're allowed to talk about trivial bullcrap.
>>
>>69924261
Most drummers who play this kind of music use triggers. Where when recording certain parts, each bass drum kick will trigger X amount more at X tempo, which is all set via computer. Slipknot and other shit metal acts do this too.
>>
>>69924444
Quality quads LARS
>>
i have no idea but dyers' eve is a fucking awesome song. should've been the end of their career really
>>
>>69924444
>These aren't the droids you're looking for.
>>
>>69924444
What is music discussion?

People like music. What difference is it to you if they discuss it?
>>
>>69924715
yeah that's not how triggers work.
or you described like 0.5% of the kickdrum triggers ever used in studio or live.
>>
>>69924261
You have your answer. Zero evidence means it didn't happen.

Of your explanations:
#1 is being pretty hard on the guy
#2 happens all the time in studio work
#3 happens all the time in the music industry
>>
>>69924770
I'm not a drummer. This is just the experience I had recording in a shitty post-hardcore myspace band circa 2007. I'm sure i'm just scratching the surface here.
>>
Apparently Lars recorded it in bits and pieces over two weeks because he wasn't happy with how the foot parts came out.

Some Metallica songs with fast/long/both double kick:
Fight Fire With Fire
Fade to Black
Battery
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Damage Inc.
Blackened
One
The Shortest Straw

Just because Lars doesn't do many full out runs under the verse riff of the song doesn't make him weak in the feet.

8-10 years ago, I could play Dyers Eve no problem. Don't know if I can last the whole song now. Haven't tried to play it since then.
>>
Yep, complete fraud. Lars doesn't even play at all. Stanley Kubrick set up his drum kit on a movie set in the Nevada desert and...blammo, the biggest conspiracy in the world was pulled off. In fact, I'm pretty sure Lars also shot JFK even though he was a month away from being born when that happened.
>>
>>69924261
He played it
He was young and on coke
>>
>>69924953
Ah, good to see someone reflecting on a time when nobody doubted Lars's skills as a drummer. In the 80s, we (yeah I'm old) all loved the guy. And to think, it was Stanley Kubrick all along.
>>
>>69924704
All true, I've seen far stupider /mu/ threads than this. What's with all the hate?

Whether he did actually play those double bass parts on Justice, the guy was a hero to a lot of young rock drummers at the time.
>>
>>69924261
Lars has always played double bass, even if it was unnecessary. The double bass part in Dyers Eve is pretty simple, fast, but simple.

Chances are that he practiced it and probably used heavy editing on the track later. And as far as I'm concerned, he has played the song recently with double bass. It sounds sloppy as shit, but then again, he's Lars.
>>
Is thiat DJ aaron ellis?
>>
>>69925154
>And as far as I'm concerned, he has played the song recently with double bass. It sounds sloppy as shit, but then again, he's Lars

Or worse, people claiming he lost it because he's getting old, when he wasn't that great in his 20s. I mean, it's pretty silly.

>young band delivers a sloppy drunk performance
>heh heh, those guys are so high
>old dadrock band misses a lick or two
>oh fug, they're too old to play anymore they lost it
>>
On the black album - of wolf and man there is some fast double kick for about one bar.. You hardly notice it unless you have headphones on. I doubt he really played it. On the cunning stunts video there were a few moments where you would watch out for a big fill and the lights would drop and you could hear some simplified version of it.

I'd say it's possible he cheated. It happens.
>>
>>69924444

Because all the rest of the posts on this board are focussing on the 'more important' issues on the planet, the rest of you guys catch that meme-rap thread earlier where we figured out a way to solve world hunger and all global conflicts? Good day lads
>>
>>69924444
>more important things on this planet
This is the stupidest, most worthless thing anyone can ever say.
>>
Lars absolutely did have chops in the 80s and I have no doubt he actually played double bass on AJFA. He just got really lazy and phoned it in after the early 90s. The fact that he's in his 50s now shouldn't be an excuse either since Dave Lombardo is the same age and still bores holes in the sky.
>>
>>69924822

Not the first guy but he was right, triggers won't make you play more hits per stroke, they just play a pre-recorded drum sample rather than the drum sample for consistency at higher tempi. To be honest I don't think there are any double bass parts in ..And Justice to warrant using triggers
>>
AJFA was recorded back before they had computer tools, so I doubt they sped the track up. That's very hard to do on analog tape.

My guess is he played it once and looped it. Not the most egregious use of studio magic, not by a long shot. I have always thought that the parts in "One" were likely looped as well. If you have never been in the studio it tough to understand but the goal is that "one perfect take." Most singers will record the chorus of a song once then just cut and paste that one take throughout the song. Guitarists will record solos in pieces then patch them together to make one long solo. I don't think taking one great drum take and looping it is any worse than those.
>>
>>69925296
This.
>>
>>69925296
Justice was recorded digitally I thought? In fact I'm pretty sure this was the first Metallica album to use digital recording.
>>
I was just saying to a friend of mine the other day, the drums in the intro for 'Harvester of Sorrow' from ...And Justice For All have always seemed very innovative and interesting to me. He's certainly come up with some good drum parts in his career, although perhaps not for a while...just a shame that he can't actually play them terribly well.
>>
>>69924261

>It's notable that he's never ever used double bass on any other Metallica track (that I know of) . . .

Battery
Fight Fire with Fire
Blackened
St. Anger
>>
People, people. Seriously? Lars has talked about this numerous times over the years. He's never tried to hide anything and he freely acknowledged that the double bass parts on Justice were pieced together from multiple takes. He does play the double bass, just not all the way through.

And he said they don't play those parts live much because it's difficult to execute in a live setting and James has trouble playing and singing Dyer's Eve at the same time.

But I don't know why people harp on Lars for piecing together drum tracks though, as many, many great albums were in some way pieced together, contain punch ins, tape splices, or session musicians. And all this was before pro tools and quantization like we have now on nearly everything album.

Lars recording drum parts in stages is no worse than the Beach Boys hiring Hal Blaine to record Dennis Wilson's parts, or the Beatles using a tape loop on "Tomorrow Never Knows" or the millions of metal albums out there featuring double bass patterns that are all triggers and have been quantized.

Watch Live in Seattle '89. Lars was fantastic. Sure, it's a shame he basically stopped practicing and can barely play his way out of a wet paper bag these days, but in the late 80s, he was on fire, and playing stuff no one else was at the time.

And yes, 1001 drummers learned every part of all those old Metallica albums and improved upon Lars's part, and took the whole epic double bass thing to new levels he never dreamed about. But that doesn't mean history did not happen. Drumming is not a chicken or egg theory where we are not sure what came first. History shows a direct linage to where we are now.
>>
>>69924444
what are you doing here then, go back to your more important things, i mean music is not important anyway, amirite?
>>
>>69925323

Would that sort of technology be up to scratch for professional bands by 1988? I wouldn't pretend to have a deep knowledge of the history of recording tech/methods but '88 seems a little early - or would it have just been prohibitively expensive at that time? (I mean for widespread use rather than big, label backed bands like Metallica)
>>
>>69925409
+1 on this train of thought.

I don't understand the anti Lars standpoint at all. Sure, he's not the most technically gifted drummer out there, his business centric attitude pisses some people off, but I'm not sure where all of the hate comes from.IMHO, with a number of notable exceptions, guys in bands longer term seldom are as technically gifted and chop-capable as the big name session players. To my mind, most band players don't need to be so technical as they tend to play in particular genres and their drummers don't need to be as adaptable as session players (as I said, there are a number of prominent exceptions, so lets not turn this into a "what about drummer X" scenario).
>>
>>69925435
I think a lot of it comes from people thinking Lars is a douchebag idiot. If most people thought he was a very nice down to earth guy that was lovable, I doubt anyone would say SUPER negative things about his drumming.
>>
Lasse has no business being as renowned AS A DRUMMER as he is. Definition of a hack.
>>
>>69925268
Buddy Rich right up to his death at 69 was still lightning-fast.
>>
>>69925409
I don't think anyone has an issue with that. I always assume most artists use heavy editing on their recordings, except lo fi, early punk or early east coast hip hop.

I think the issue comes when people imply or think Lars didn't even play the parts.

>>69925435
>>69925455
That and the fact that most thrash drummers are either fast or precise.
>>
>>69924444
Lol, 10/10 bait
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.