[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CDs still the best way to own music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: maga.jpg (295KB, 760x756px) Image search: [Google]
maga.jpg
295KB, 760x756px
I've been doing some reading about music media, in particular vinyl, CDs, and different digital file types such as those offered on download and streaming services.

I had suspected but never before actually had the data that CDs are still, even in the year 2016 (soon to be 2017), the highest fidelity music you can buy. That combined with the fact that you actually own the hard copy disc with the actual music data on it, and that CDs don't degenerate or fail over time (unless you scratch or break or burn them or something), seems to me to be the best way to buy and own music.

I am saying this as someone who has almost exclusively downloaded music online since probably around 2009 and hasn't purchased an actual music CD since around that time, so it's not like I'm thrilled with this realization.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
>>
Have fun spending thousands of dollars and carrying around hundreds of CDs
>>
>>69923036
CDs are equivalent in price to digital purchases. Actually it's typical to find CD albums available for cheaper than the digital album purchase.
>>
>>69923036
Also you can rip your CDs to high fidelity files to put on any device relatively easily and still own the original high fidelity disc copy of the album.
>>
> CDs don't degrade or fail over time (unless they do)

Besides that, your points ain't bad, but the same is true of any DRM free music store and most stuff available to torrent, so I mean... I'll take those myself, even if the quality is a bit worse, just for the convenience factor. Similar to "the best camera is the one you have with you".
>>
>>69923052
That still doesn't mean shit. You're still spending, on average, 10 dollars per CD. That's not even counting the more obscure albums.
>>69923056
You could do that, but you'd be wasting your time ripping hundreds of CDs. Which would take weeks, depending on how large your collection is.
>>
1-You're an ugly redditor
2-Tapes is the true hipster kvlt patrician choice
>>
>>69923155
>you're spending, on average, $3-$4 a cd

Most of mine ive probably picked up for around 1-5 desu
>>
>>69923220
Where do you get your CDs then?
>>
>>69923012
You also forgot to mention the fact that CDs are more democratic for budding artists. A musician has to pay far less money to distribute their music as a physical product via CD than they would to get their album pressed to vinyl.

Of course, what is left of the music industry dislikes this because they want musicians to be their slaves and stuck in horrible record contracts with "indie" labels having to press their crap on wax for dumb hipsters to consume.
>>
>>69923155
>You could do that, but you'd be wasting your time ripping hundreds of CDs.
This isn't even necessary with modern music.

Pretty much all CDs should come with download codes. The files are virtually the same in most cases, as 44.1khz is the standard.
>>
>>69923236
Not him but I get mine on amazon and they're like five to ten quid most of the time with most being on the lower end.
>>
>>69923236
At a chain music store in my area I just got 8 albums for $45
>>
CD has more than enough detail and dynamics to cover all the capabilities of human hearing if mastered properly, and they can last for decades at least. I have some discs from when the format was new that still play. Just be wary of brickwalled remasters
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.