[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate nu-metal? It's fun.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: .jpg (35KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
35KB, 355x355px
Why do people hate nu-metal? It's fun.
>>
>>69915541
people just don't know good music when they hear it
>>
Because this bored is full of teenagers eager to distance themselves from thing's they've like in the past.
>>
>>69915541
There's a few great bands in the genre, but for each one there's like a dozen terrible imitators.
>>
No one that hates nu metal has actually listened to much of it, they just hate the aesthetic and stereotypes associated with it - rightfully so.
>>
>>69915541
Blanket dismissal is dumb, but it's true that the genre is simplified and limited (on purpose) and you can only do so many downtuned chug-a-chug rhythms before it starts to sound the same. Korn did a pretty good job of being weird enough to keep it fresh, but then you have something like Godsmack with a few catchy singles and 100 other songs that all sound the same.

>>69915917
And then this, which multiplies the problem.
>>
>>69915541
Early KoRn put out some good albums. This isn't one of them. Freak on a Leash is cool though.
>>
>>69916579
This.
I loved FtL when I was younger, but going back now it's not great. Hard to believe it's their biggest album. Self titled and issues are fine.
I think Slipknot would be a better example of trash nu-metal.
>>
Hate on tmt but this article is pretty on point about everything

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/i-cant-help-feel-pain
>>
Korn is alright. It's funny limp bizkit tried to copy their sound and failed. Not saying they're terrible, they have a few decent songs.

System of a Down was good though and Disturbed had a few good hits. Slipknot was only really good for their radio songs. What wasn't played on the radio was trash.

I really can't think of many others that were either good or what I consider numetal. Mudvayne and mushroomhead i guess?
>>
>>69915541

because apart from 4-5 good albums (namely early Korn and Deftones) it was all irredeemable shit.
Was nu-metal the 90s version of hair-metal?
>>
>>69916579

Korn had one really good album (the first one) and a bunch of decent ones (everything from Life is Peachy to Untouchables).
>>
>>69915541
SOAD and Deftones are the only good bands that came out that genre
>>
>>69917012
I wouldn't exactly put Slipknot in the numetal corner.
Drowning Pool and Static-X though
>>
>>69915917
This goes for a lot, if not every genre. A few great ones, a few original/weird/experimental ones, and a fuckload of copycats and bland shit. With most established genres, most of that bland shit is just dismissed and/or forgotten.
Anyone who says "music from the XX years was the best" has just dismissed all the terrible shit that always came with it.
>>
>>69917012
Mudvayne has one of the greatest albums, though.
Chad Gray still comes into my restaurant, talking about Hell Yeah.
>>
>>69917012

there were a few good bands that at the time used to do stuff similiar to nu-metal but weren't really nu-metal, like Fear Factory, Machine Head, early Incubus or Roots-era Sepultura.
>>
>>69917299
this
>>
>>69917503
I didn't say mudvayne was bad. I praised a few bands in that post actually.

>>69917329
>I wouldn't exactly put Slipknot in the numetal
Then where would you place them?
>>
korn were the most innovative band of the 90's, and thats a fact

>first band to tune low as fuck just because they wanted to and not to accommodate the singer
>first popular band to use extended range guitars
>used effects in a evil, psychedelic way, still unique today
>based an aesthetic purely around dirty dreadlocks and Adidas tracksuits
>had the best videos, with many of them spanning multiple songs and dealing with complex themes about death and chaos
>first band to use the internet in productive way by allowing fans to design their album artwork
>successfully blended african popular music and white traditional music, by using funky basslines and harsh bagpipes in the same damn song

IF YOU'RE A REAL KORN FAN LIKE ME DON'T BE AFRAID TO STAND UP
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8vzTsnPps
>>
>>69917652
The backwards vocals in Freak On A Leash remind me of Unwound, srs. Korn were fucking light years ahead of other bands in their ilk.
>>
>>69917652

based Scaruffi kinda agrees with you.
>>
>>69917675

People now are making fun of them, but Limp Bizkit's first two albums are actually decent-to-good.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vq_WDf6NT0
>>
>>69917012
>Slipknot was only really good for their radio songs.
I don't think that's fair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zCN0YhW1s
>>
>>69917837
Wait and bleed wad played on the radio. A better example would be prosthetics. It wast amazing but it wasn't as shit as a the majority of the album
>>
>>69917837

wait and bleed was definitely a single
>>
Wait and bleed was the ONLY radio song from first cd.
>>
>>69917741
pretty much. i actually liked fred's rapping on three dolla bill, he already sounded goofy af on that but in a good way as opposed to that "little boy about to cry" thing on starfish
i think as they got more famous fred got more annoying as a frontman, and just whined about haters. like an even less insightful kanye. fwiw gold cobra was good though because they just focused on bangers and the "i /totally/ don't give a fuck!" thing sort of works because it just felt like they gained some self-awareness about it

>>69917837
meh. the singsongy choruses on the first half of s/t actually stick out badly and ruin the mood i think. only Eyeless really works for me. Only One is the underrated deep cut. Iowa was better overall
>>
File: front.jpg (23KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
23KB, 320x320px
this was honestly really solid desu.
>>
r u all serious? nu-metal sucks. alll of it plagued me growing up. its just bands taking "metal" and watering it down enough to be palatable to people who would other wise NEVER listen to metal.
>>
>>69918191
>r u all serious
hahaha
>>
>>69917620
Slipknot is extreme death metal
>>
>>69918191
r u? there's nothing wrong with making a style more palatable, catchy or just more fun
>>
I think Korn mightve been taken more seriously with a better band name.
>>
>>69918191
>its just bands taking "metal" and watering it down enough to be palatable to people who would other wise NEVER listen to metal.
Why is that a bad thing?
>>
>>69918191
are you fucking 15? i bet you listen to REAL metal like some prog or tech shit, faggot.
>>
>>69917620
Mudvayne is bad though, everything after LD 50 was less then mediocre. Even their earlier albums are okay at best.
>>
>>69918430
Their bass player was sick though
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 262x193px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 262x193px
Korn made ok music that was sometimes good and often times bad. A large amount of their sucess is actually credited to the image they crafted and their general attitude. They gave the world legions of fans with dreadlocks and baggy pants and basketball jerseys. But that image is no longer relevant in this age. It's just too bad they'll never have David Silveria back on drums. He balanced out the angst by bringing a little simple hip hop and funk influenced drum beats. This is the real Korn.
>>
>>69918996
Davi is overrated as a drummer, and if you want hip hop and funk influence, look no further there's Fieldy.

the real mastermind behind Korn was Head.
korn sucked when he left the band, now he's back but I haven't heard their new stuff.
>>
Childish and cringy. You'll grow out of it eventually, but yeah, I like to sometimes take the old Slipknot CDs off the shelves and remember my adolescence.
>>
>>69918271
Joey is a he'll of a drummer, I'll give them that, but when I think death metal I think cradle of filth, black dahlia murder, between the buried and me, etc. Maybe it just isn't registering to me because they don't growl but even looking beyond that I still don't quite feel they meet the snuff
>>
>>69919117

You're probably in your early 20s, am I right?

You will probably also grow out of the phase you're into now, and you won't be afraid of listening to "childish" stuff, as long as you enjoy them, and not just to "remember your adolescence" in an ironic way like you do now.
>>
>>69919062
David was a big part of the reason for the Korn's first 3 albums. He brought a real raw sort of energy to the band. They would never be able to make songs like Good God, It was around when Issues came out that Korn started becoming a lot more over produced and more concerned with making hit singles. The reason for this is because they stopped letting David have any influence on the song writing. Head is actually more important though but David definitely did a lot to develop the old Korn sound.
>>
>>69915541
do mushrooms and listen to korn. loudly. youll love it
>>
>>69918015
Man, I wish they would have done more like Eyeless, especially the first like 30 seconds (I think.)
That amen break in the begging is delicious.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0mqHoT8OHs&app=desktop

>this thread
>>
>>69918323
Can you suggest any non-faggot, totally faggot free nu-metal? You faggot.
>>
>>69919585
Dont think anyone in Powerman 5000 is a faggot
>>
>>69918996
> large amount of their sucess is actually credited to the image they crafted and their general attitude. But that image is no longer relevant in this age.
kind of true for a lot of rock genres, well i guess some hipster kids still rock punk attire. i guess that's why you always need some kind of historical perspective as a music critic
>>
One thing to note is one of the biggest reasons for Korn's success is because they had some really high quality music videos with good production in an era where music videos were popular in the mainstream.
>>
>dude just turn your brain off and enjoy it, why bother listening to music you can enjoy without turning your brain off if you can just enjoy this other music as long as you don't think about it
>>
>>69919923
no one itt said that because it's an utterly useless abstracted binary
>>
>>69917285
>>69916579
I really like Take a Look in the Mirror desu senpai.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.