[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one will be remembered as the true classic of a movement /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

Which one will be remembered as the true classic of a movement /mu/?
>>
none of them
all complete shit
>>
>>69820053
blonde is the best in pic, but still none of them
>>
OP here.

For me it's LP1 hands down. But Clarence and Solange are just behind
>>
I'll vote for CO. One of my favorite concept albums.

(I do want to give Lemonade another listen though).
>>
Black Messiah is literally the only album of worth here
>>
Blonde will be looked at as one of the landmark albums in setting trends in popular music for the next 5 years
>>
>>69820266
why lp1?
ep2 and M3LL155X are better releases by far.
Anyway James blake s/t will be a classic
CC will get the TMT fanbase
frank ocean/beyonce for the general public.
>>
>>69820053
Which movement?

Anyway, James Blake's s/t and LP1 probably. Lemonade will probably be a classic as well even though is nothing special
>>
I love Erykah Badu, but New Amerykah Part 2 is not really memorable.
Also, Beyoncé's s/t should be here as well.
>>
>>69820390
I agree that the EP's have just as much substance.

LP1 for me is so Alien compared to it's peers. It's such a unique release in terms of the production and the tones she chooses to use for the synths. Also her voice is so brittle that it provides a emotional contrast to the beats that is rare to see and feel in any genre of music.

But the main reason that LP1 is my favorite are because of landmark songs like Two Weeks, Pendulum, Lights On, Numbers..etc....songs that are perfectly arranged and executed while also being experimental and ahead of it's time production-wise. LP1 just fascinates me to the core. Never heard anything like it.
>>
>>69820828
Good points I'll need to revisitsLP1 again then
>>
Of all these albums James Blake, Channel Orange, and Black Messiah will more likely be remembered as classics. Black Messiah is probably the most likely classic, with James Blake following up.
>>
No Now, Blonde and James Blake seem to be the only really deserving ones. I haven't listened to D'Angelo yet, however.
>>
James Blake s/t and A Seat at the Table will be critical darlings
Most music fans will say Channel Orange and Lemonade
People that grew up on 90's R&B will adore Erykah and D'Angelo
No Now and LP1 will be cult classics, but not get the overall recognition that the rest of the list gets.
Blonde and Malibu will be remembered fondly likely get overshadowed by others on the list.
>>
LP1 is the pinnacle. From the music to the cover, its become one of the most imitated aesthetics of the decade.

CO will remain the more popular album, but there are still a lot of people who dont necessarily see it as being fully in step with the whole weird r&b thing. It has too much a hand in traditional r&b and sounds more like the gradual evolution of popular r&b stemming from the 2000s.
>>
Popular culture will remember Frank and Lemonade
Pitchforks will remember Solange and Malibu
/mu/ will remember James Blake and Clarence Clarity
Nobody will remember Black Messiah which is a shame because it's by far the best album in that pic
>>
>>69820053
None of those album.

Visions or Art Angels. Or both.
>>
listening to CC for the first time here

ehhhh
>>
>>69820053
there are 2 good albums there. absolutely none of them I think should be remembered as a classic.
>>
>>69821108
Go back to you're containment thread now, and let the big boys talk about music
>>
>Clarence Clarity
literally who
>>
>>69821489
Go back to top 40 pop if you don't know this man
>>
>>69821108
Why would anyone remeber Visions or AA as being part of the altR&B movement?
>>
>>69821565
his music isn't different from most top 40 pop
he's just not popular
>>
File: imgres.jpg (6KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
6KB, 225x224px
>>69821855
>his music isn't different from most top 40 pop
>>
>>69821934
sorry but it's just chaotic mainstream pop music
>>
File: The Archandroid.jpg (110KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The Archandroid.jpg
110KB, 1000x1000px
How the fuck do you have all those works and then miss the one work that's actually a more valid answer to your question than all of those?
>>
>>69821994
Because it's not part of the same movement as the albums in the OP.

This is more like psychedelic soul with operatic qualities.
>>
>>69821265
Stop shitposting and do your homework, kid. Your dad is going to beat your ass.
>>
>>69820384
except he didn't really do anything that new or interesting

the 'le minimalism' is copying kanye, and the 'le soul' is copied from chance, dangelo, etc
>>
File: folder.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
*ahem*
>>
James Blake / Channel Orange / Blond for me. Lemonade was shit. I know it's a critical darling but art is subjective and I really hated that album.
>>
File: Trick_cover-1.jpg (46KB, 506x506px) Image search: [Google]
Trick_cover-1.jpg
46KB, 506x506px
>fanthony antano still won't review Jamie T

Is /mu/ into this LP? Trick is my favourite record of 2016. Atrocity Exhibition and Blonde are up there in the running too though.
>>
>>69822106
This is a hip hop mixtape.

Holy shit, can no one seriously comprehend the point this thread?
>>
>>69822040
It's alternative RnB that's been a critical darling and also came out before any of the albums in OP's pic.

Using exact musical qualities to make the determination is even more nonsense considering that you have guys like James Blake in the pic who are more inspired by the atmosphere Burial has, D'Angelo who did a far more raw thing on Black Messiah, and Beyonce who has a far more trendy/mainstream sound.

The only similarity all those records have is that they are to an extent artistically ambitious RnB works in the current times, and The Archandroid preceded all the records in the pic, it preceded Weeknd's trilogy of EPs (which should also be in here), and is given more critical/hardcore music fan love than any of those records except Black Messiah which is on, maybe slightly above, its level
>>
>>69822426
The person who replied to you is not OP. I am, and yeah I'm sorry I missed the Archandroid. I honestly just forgot about it a bit, excellent album and very deserving of that place. I would actually replace that with the Erykah Badu in hindsight

>>69822068
>>69821108
GTFO. Go back to you're containment thread, now

>>69822222
Holy Digits mah dude
>>
>>69822426
>>69821994
Yeah, that's probably the most glaring omission of the list. It's hands down better than at least a couple of the albums and arguably better than most of the others. I just don't think that it's as influential as say, James Blake's S/T. I'm fully convinced that Blonde wouldn't exist as it does without it.

>Weeknd's trilogy of EPs (which should also be in here)
House of Balloons definitely does, but I'm more on the fence about the other two mixtapes. Trilogy weakened the whole with the production changes and the godawful interlude tracks. Plus his post-mixtape releases have been mediocre at best
>>
>>69820384
but he didn't do literally anything new...
>>
>>69820053
the only one of those to break 5/10 is Channel Orange and thats only a 6.
>>
>>69822693
>I'm just gonna flat out say I have shit taste

the post
>>
>>69822618
I said do your homework now and cease your shitposting, dumb kid. You must have over 18 to post here.
>>
>>69822672
No, he didn't, but thats not how things work now. The big artists like Frank/Kanye etc use ideas from smaller artists and snowball them with their own production teams.

5 years from now nobody will think about the artists he borrows from. He is the most visible perston attached to the ideas and thus they will be attributed to him.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.