[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absolutely in love with this album What do I listen to next?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0391.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0391.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
Absolutely in love with this album
What do I listen to next?
>>
pink floyd
>>
they're pretty unique, but that album kinda reminds me of the atom heart suite for some reason
try more magma like de futura, and krautrock
>>
Magma's discography is very consistent. I'd say the only album that isn't worth a listen is Merci (unless you want Magma without anything that made them good).

Kobaïa and 1001° Centigrades are more jazzy. Kobaïa is basically jazz fusion, Centigrades is in the middle of the jazz fusion of Kobaïa and the zeuhl of MDK.

Köhntarkösz is dark, minimalist and probably the most instrumental album in the discography.
Wurdah Ïtah is very similar to MDK, as would be expected, because they're both part of the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy.

Üdü Wüdü goes a more funky route and includes the amazing De Futura, which is more than enough of a reason to check it out. Attahk is even more funk and accessible. It's good, but not as essential as others.

Merci is a disco/soul album. Haven't listened to it enough to decide if it's good or not, but definitely not where to go if you want more like MDK.

The modern return of Magma gave us K.A, Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré, Félicité Thösz and Slag Tanz. All fantastic albums.
K.A is basically MDK, but way more upbeat.
Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré is like K.A, except darker.
Félicité Thösz is basically upbeat zeuhl-pop. Unlike Merci, it's great and sounds like Magma.
Slag Tanz is there if Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré wasn't dark enough.

They also remade the amazing opening track from Centigrades, Rïah Sahïltaahk, as an EP. It's not as good as the original track.

Other great Zeuhl bands/albums to check out:
Eskaton - 4 Visions. Upbeat zeuhl like K.A, but sung in French.
Koenjihyakkei. This is basically Magma if they were Japanese and more insane at times.
Weidorje's only album. Some Magma members left the band and made this album and it's amazing.
Dün - Eros. Once again, only one album. A combination of Magma, Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra and avant-prog.
Jannick Top - Infernal Machina. It's basically De Futura if it was an entire album, although it doesn't sound anything like that for the first three tracks.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>69819372
I'd second all of this, and I would add:

Live/Hhaï is absolutely essential. The band is at their mid-70s live peak and the version of Köhntarkösz here is far superior to the relatively bloodless studio version. I would get this one after MDK.

Also, BBC Londres 1974 is a fantastic recording of a smaller version of the band and features arguably the best version of Theusz Hamtaahk, one of the only major longform Magma pieces never to get a proper studio recording. Amazing sound quality, and there's really nothing else like the dueling Fender Rhodes groove that kicks in about halfway through Theusz Hamtaahk.

Also, Merci isn't their best studio album, but it has the minimalist waltz "Eliphas Levi," which is one of their most beautiful songs.

And like anon said, all modern Magma albums, post K.A., are just amazing.
>>
>>69819659
I stuck to writing only about the studio albums, but I rarely listen to live albums before getting used to the studio version of music.

The only live Magma albums I've heard so far are Live/Hhaï and Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie (which is the only Magma album I own at the moment. I'm listening to it as I'm writing this). I've also heard the Retrospektiw version of Theusz Hamtaahk. All of which has been amazing. I may be getting Köhnzert Zünd soon.

I should give Merci a relisten.

Also, the Flŏë Ëssi/Ëktah EP is a great listen as well.
>>
>>69819372
there's a second Weidorje album that was recorded but never released
you could find it some years ago but idk about now

Eider stellaire's three albums are really good and rarely talked about
and the band Setna is a good modern take on zeuhl
>>
>>69819372
Hard to top this list.

Another band to add might be Zao - Osiris (it feels a little more fusion'y to me but is still good)
Then there's always Ruins...
>>
>>69819372
where the fuck are Ruins and Univers Zero, guy

also OP consider giving technical death metal a try
>>
>>69818590
Try system of a down and mr bungle you will be surprised
>>
>>69821233
They're both great, but I have only heard one album from each and most of the other bands I mentioned have a more similar sound to Magma.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.