[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Superior Guitar Tuning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (15KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 259x194px
>He plays guitar
>He doesn't realise all fourths tuning is superior to standard

Guitarists, try EADGCF for a week, or you're literally trash tier. Allan Holdsworth also says if he had to start again he'd tune in fourths.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 640x597px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 640x597px
Dumping fourths tuning images
>>
File: image.jpg (158KB, 640x847px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 640x847px
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 640x710px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 640x710px
>>
>>69749625
I don't know what any of this means. You sound like a fucking nerd.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 640x457px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtcUP5TIKq4
Allan talks about the tuning at 2:38 and 9:38 for those interested.
>>
>>69749625
Yeah yeah Tom Quayle and Alex Hutchings tune in all 4ths too and they sound great and everything, but I don't want to unlearn all the intervals and note names and shit and how do you do a major or minor barre chord in all 4ths tuning? I don't think I'd be able to comfortably play all the cover songs I know in a new tuning.

I'm not knocking it; just saying I don't think it's for me.
>>
>>69749811
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_fourths_tuning

So the way most people tune the guitar is EADGBE, which is low E, 5 fret E, 5 fret A, 5 fret D, 4 fret G, and 5 fret B. This is great for guitarists who want to accompany themselves (i.e open chords and barre chords - acoustic playing) infact I still use std on acoustic. But for modern electric playing in a band setting - keyboard, bass, drums, guitar there is no better tuning than fourths, because in that sort of setting you don't even need six string barres, because the bass player provides that low end. Simple 3 note and four note chords work fine. But the real magic of this tuning is the symmetry, once you learn a chord you can apply it anywhere on the neck, this goes for anything - scales, licks, arpeggios.
>>
Here's some resources for those who are interested in switching, though I only recommend switching to those who are already confident in music theory.
there's a series on fourths by this guy, he's a pretty good player too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL7C9610F20898CC90&v=ZgDxKs5j1zY

http://synthetictruth.com/music/guitar.html

sixty chords for all fourths tuning:
http://www.keith.bromley.name/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/p4_guitar.pdf

for people who comp in a jazz style I suggest taking the freddie green approach, drop the fifth and play 1 3 7 for maj7, 1 b3 7 for min7 and 1 3 b7 for dominant 7, for altered fifths you'll have to throw it back in like half diminished chords but they work fine in fourths
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 640x674px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 640x674px
Fourths is also good for playing by ear, because the intervals are the same on every string.
>>
good luck playing other peoples music using this tuning

if you're writing your own stuff go ahead and use it, but you're just making it a nightmare for yourself if you want to play other peoples music. just using this as example because pretty much everyone who has played a guitar for more than 6 months knows how to play it, but go ahead and try and come up with a way to play stairway to heaven with all fourths tuning. just thinking about the fingerings hurts my head and you wouldn't be able to play like 40% of the song
>>
>>69749976
same as all the other alternative tunings, that sounds great and all but nobody actually needs it

you can bet players who understand the implications of this tuning in the first place are competent guitarists. seems a hassle more than convenience is all
>>
>>69750253
it's possible, maybe not alone but with a good bass player it's possible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCqn1Eo3Ug

I mean if he can play giant steps solo in this tuning I don't see why stairway isn't possible in a full band setting with a guitar tuned in fourths.
>>
>>69749976
jazz players have been using small core chord tone voicings for a very long time and 99.9% of them do not use all fourths tuning.

jazz players do not really use big 6 string chords in a big band setting, they usually focus on the the 3, 7, and alterations
>>
>>69750338
oh i'm sure it's possible, but what's the point? just play it in standard because it's easier than reworking the whole thing just to make the fingerings more difficult.
>>
>>69750356
Those voicings are very much doable in fourths, (most closed chords smaller than five strings are I've found) so knowing the benefits of p4 tuning (identical fingerings across all string sets, and increased ability to play ideas in your head) why not switch if you're a jazz player? You can still use both tunings, like if you're in a srv or hendrix cover band you'd want standard tuning.
>>
So your telling if i play in all fourths, i have to relearn my chords?
>>
>>69750525
Open chords and barre chords are hard to do in this tuning, but any chords on the four bottom strings E, A, D and G are the same and can be played all across the fretboard (on all string sets)
>>
>>69750499
yes i know the voicings work in both, but that's kind of the point isn't it? all this is doing is just taking all the muscle memory and throwing it out the window

i don't think all fourths is a bad idea or anything, it's logical and makes scales easier to visualize, but for me personally i just have no interest in switching over to it.
>>
>>69750576
So a D chord would be the same on all fret?
>>
>professional guitar player does it so everyone should
One of the stupidest argumentations ever.
>>
>>69750646
an open D chord in this tuning would be

x
x

the notes are the same, the fingering changes. you basically take everything on the B and E string and lower it one fret. so like an open A major chord would be

x
x

the top note (F, which would normally be E) is x'd out because if you played the top F it would be an altered tone (b6 or b13)
>>
>>69750649
>I shouldn't listen to a professional
I'm sure you know more than him
>>
>>69750649
Holdsworth doesn't even use it, he just said if he had to learn the guitar again he'd tune in fourths.
>>
>>69750789
>everyone should use *nix because IT professionals do
>everyone should turn off ESC and ABS in their cars, because racing drivers do
>everyone should shave their whole body, because professional swimmers do
The benefits of this tuning are only relevant if you are playing in a band and playing a lot, while the hassle of relearning is enormous.
>>
>>69750888
>The benefits of this tuning are only relevant if you are playing in a band and playing a lot, while the hassle of relearning is enormous.

more like playing in a band writing original music. tuning like this and playing covers wouldn't be worth the effort
>>
File: uhu.jpg (35KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
uhu.jpg
35KB, 212x212px
>>69750916
>makes playing certain chords nigh impossible
>deliberately limits your creative possibilities
>good for writing original music
>>
>>69750916
Note for note covers yes, but do you really think pro musicians who have to learn hundreds of songs a year play note for note renditions? In this tuning barre chords are out of the question, but in your average cover band, say vocals, guitar, drums, bass that low end in a barre chord (the fifth and the low root) is covered by any good bass player. So covers really aren't that hard if you know all your major and minor triads and inversions + dom7 chords. I've been to a few jam sessions tuned in fourths and I've had no problem quickly finding voicings for the changes.
>>
>>69751076
>makes playing certain chords nigh impossible
examples?

>deliberately limits your creative possibilities
It makes composition easier because it is one of the best representations of music you can get, in that it's all laid out perfectly symmetrical.
>>
>>69751342
>examples?
Barré.
>one of the best representations
It's more convenient for a specific range of applications, while less convenient for others. Standard tuning is ideal in terms of versatility.
>>
>>69751395
>>69751395
Barre chords are often major or minor triads, just duplicated. Triads and their inversions are possible in fourths. But you're right in that acoustic country style playing is impossible in 4ths, because six and five string triads are very hard to do. I have one guitar tuned in standard just for this. It's not really confusing, just the top two strings go up a half step.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.