[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MATHCORE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 369880.jpg (316KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
369880.jpg
316KB, 500x500px
What are the best "mathcore" bands?

How do you feel about the genre in general?
>>
dillinger
>>
>>69732289

Go on.
>>
>>69732789
escape plan
>>
Check out:

Breathing is Irrelevant - Ion Dissonance
Doom- Job for a Cowboy
The New Car Bomb is pretty good

I also like Hold Your Horse is by Hella but that's more math rock
>>
File: 1370634215314.gif (781KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1370634215314.gif
781KB, 320x287px
Botch
Converge

That's about it
>>
>>69732236
DEP
Botch
Converge
Rolo Tomassi
The #12 Looks Like You
Semantik Punk
Frontierer
Early Norma Jean, same for The Chariot
A Lot Like Birds

There are more I'm blanking on at the moment.

I feel the genre is the less autistic and rage-fueled brother of progressive metal applied in a more emotionally charged way. It invites more engagement from the listener and makes the music more about how the complexity evokes equally complex emotions than having it be for its own sake. I've been listening for a while and I wouldn't say its infallible and I'm sure some people think I'm an autist for enjoying it and playing in a "mathcore" band, but I find it fascinating both in terms of virtuosity and expression.
>>
does a lot like birds count?
>>
>>69733258
Yeee. The spoken word poetry makes it more mathcore
>>
>>69733247

What I'm enjoying about it so far is how frequently the song changes to almost a completely different song. It'll be going one direction then suddenly stop and do something entirely different, and it all sounds pretty intricate. It's interesting to listen to.

Also I like screaming vocals.
>>
>>69733438
is this mathy enough?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUNAP0jsM7g
>>
>>69732236

Protest the Hero
Cyclamen
Monster Machismo (more math rock)
>>
Worse Than Alone is one of my favorite albums of all time so I'd say I feel pretty good about the genre.
>>
>>69733438
Some would criticize the scatterbrained or perhaps "too-many-ideas" approach that mathcore takes. But that's kinda the point - embodying a chaotic and unpredictable form of music that doesn't compromise itself for an easy way out. Its pretty easy to say you want to mix funk with metal and make it mathy. Its another thing to execute it in an intelligible form.

As for screaming I think there's a passion to it that most don't really get behind. It is abrasive and gross and sometimes unintelligible (thinking about it as another percussive instrument helps), but it takes dedication to ruin your vocal cords with reckless abandon in order to express yourself. Harsh vocals lose their effectiveness though when they are one-dimensional; I recommend Ulcerate as an example, even though I love that band. They need to be dynamic and unpredictable and absolutely charged with energy to work to their fullest.
>>
>>69733559

What's interesting is that there are different types of screams and some I really can't stand and some I love. For example, I really hate the generic "I AM ANGRY" hardcore band scream. When I hear that I turn the song off immediately. But I LOVE the higher pitched cat getting skinned scream you hear in #12, converge, blood bros, etc.
>>
>>69733545

That album actually really turned me off because they switched gears to be more melodic, but last time I listened to it was many years ago. Maybe I should give it another shit. My favorite has always been Mongrel.
>>
>>69733670

*another shot
>>
>>69733638
See I think that just being angry as fuck can be done really well. Take Greg Puciato of DEP for example, whose voice seems to reach different intonations and inflections on every album. But he's almost always either angry or contemplative. Take this song for instance, where the breakdown and subsequent build up sees him going through Mike Patton-esque mid-harsh moans to straight up fucking gibberish cat squeals. And everything that could logically be in between. Its absolutely maddening but fucking brilliant at he same time.

https://youtu.be/6p4tQUBtsBw
>>
>>69732814
,the
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.