[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /mu/ like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: a2446679232_10.jpg (101KB, 1200x1200px)
a2446679232_10.jpg
101KB, 1200x1200px
Does /mu/ like this?
>>
i do
>>
Yeah, quite a lot
>>
yep, but not as much as >>69719336
>>
/mu/ loves first and second wave post-rock. Things get pretty divided starting with third-wave though.
>>
>>69719438
Fair enough.
>>
>>69719273
Very much. Listened to this the first time I ever dropped acid in high school. Special listen.
>>
Yeah, it's pretty good - got a nice reissue of it on vinyl - it sounds amazing. But, imho there's not much else to their discography.
They have maybe two highlights and that's about it.

Also if you like Trump then they don't want you listening to their music. So keep that in mind, they are a bunch of liberal cucks.
>>
>>69719599
Millions is as good as TNT. Standards and s/t are not quite at their level but still excellent albums in their own right.
>>
Millions Now Living is probably my favorite album ever

s/t, TNT, and Standards are all stellar

then the rest of their discography (maybe excluding Beacons) is flaming hot dogshit
>>
>>69719273
Millions Now Living was my first Post-Rock album. I like it more than TNT, but they're both good.
>>
>>69719599
who cares, the entire entertainment industry is like that
>>
Tortoise is a fantastic band that at least in their good releases stuck to truly being deserving of the being called "post-rock".

Their self-titled isn't popular, possibly because of its sound which is just dub music with jazzy vibraphone and marimba parts. Having just two bass guitars, a drumset, a vibraphone, and a marimba, the entire album consists of just a rhythm section. It's a bit weird, but definitely enjoyable in it's "Xenakis' percussion works with a groove attached to them" feel that it gives.

Millions Now Living Will Never Die is great and deserves all the love it gets. To me it's the pinnacle of the first wave sound because it takes the grooves on Tortoise's s/t, the grander arrangement style done on Talk Talk's final two albums, and the Disco Inferno style of messing around with weird electronic sounds/production tricks.

TNT is where they really go all out with jazz. Kinda unique for post-rock in just how technical this album can get especially with Jeff Parker and Dave Pajo both going crazy on their respective guitar parts.

Standards isn't cohesive nor does it have that jazzy sophistication in how the instruments are being played that was in TNT, but it kinda ends up making up for it by entailing so many different styles as you go through the album, and having it all come together through electronic sounds.

It's kind of a pity that most of their stuff after this isn't worth listening to. They actually started straight up watering themselves down on their main LPs, and then the weird collabs like the Bonnie 'Prince' Billy cover album or that thing with Sonic Youth and beck where they cover that New Age guy.

BUT, there is ONE more worthy release from, them, and it's A Lazarus Taxon boxset. New tracks, some tour tracks, covering jazz standards/other musicians' tracks, remixes of Tortoise tracks done by everyone from Autechre to Jim O Rourke, etc. Really cool stuff from these guys if you haven't checked it out yet.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.