[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did YOU write that?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1darniellelead.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1darniellelead.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
Seriously, does anyone else find artists who don't write their own lyrics utterly unlistenable? Not so much when people are openly covering songs, but when it's Beyonce or somming, it guts the whole musical experience for me
>>
why? writing and production credits are transparent.

do you treat aretha franklin differently?

maybe we shouldn't have recitals of classical music because the musicians didn't write the music.

maybe you should stop listening to bands who don't produce their own albums since that's just as important as the songwriting.

the only place where you can have a legitimate grievance is when ghost writing/production is involved.
>>
>>69701779
BTFO
>>
>>69701333
couldnt possibly give less of a shit
>>
I mean, it makes sense when you're talking about singer-songwriter and similar stuff, since most of the times the lyrics, the story behind them and how they relate to the singer is more than 50% of the appeal (like tMG), but when it comes to huge mainstream pop artists like Beyonce I don't see why it matters, since the music is just supposed to be easy and fun. And it's not like the lyrics in pop are works of genius or anything. Who cares if Beyonce or her mom was the one who thought of writing "all the single ladies" like 10 times or whatever?
>>
>>69701779 I think there's a difference, lyrics are more explicit when they convey ideas than music or composition. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot more to music than just the lyrics, the production and the arrangement and even the vocal ability of the singer are all important. Now sure, it's more transparent than ghost writing, but for me when someone's singing lyrics made by professional songwriters and committees there's definitely something lost
>>
>>69701333
No, that's stupid.
>>
>>69701333
this is only a problem in top 40 shit, simply don't listen to that cause it sucks
>>
>>69701779
>>69702731
>>69702866
Music with more effort in the writing is usually better. How is this debatable? normiecore top 40 pop songs are written to make be catchy and make money, not to make any kind of artistic statement.

i want the poptimists to leave
>>
>>69702839
the vast majority of lyrics across all music, as well as the music itself, are trivial in nature and should be treated as such - trivialities. any hierarchy you've constructed re: the components of songs is entirely of your own making - lyrics are the least important part of music imo.

>>69703216
the amount of man hours poured in a high profile pop production in almost all circumstances dwarf the number of man hours dedicated to most other pop music (pop here being any music other than that in the academic tradition), so your statement about 'effort' is misguided.

effort has nothing to do with quality.

and before you construe this as pop music apoligism, i'm not defended it in particular - if you want to justify your hate of x or y find valid reasons to do it instead of spewing nonsense.
>>
>>69701333
beyonce is part of a very specific genre of music in which this is commonplace. I don't listen to that kind of music, but I don't see the problem with it because as another anon said the credits are transparent

the point of mainstream pop is just to have fun, catchy and universal (this is important) music with an attractive face to it. not my cup of tea, but I can't say I'm really upset that the catchy, simple and anthemic lyrics were written by a team of writers rather than the pop stars themselves. it's not really intended as sincere artistic expression, it's commercial music for mass appeal in a variety of contexts.

I'm sure there's a science to pop songwriting that certain people are great at, but they're not so great at being the face of the operation. yeah, it's superficial, but you don't get mad watching a movie because the writer(s) don't play the main characters
>>
>>69703216
>i want the poptimists to leave
too bad for you i guess
>>
>>69701333
>Seriously, does anyone else find artists who don't write their own lyrics utterly unlistenable?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.