[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know how to get into "modern" music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 71N7a7Jj5rL._SL1500_.jpg (248KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71N7a7Jj5rL._SL1500_.jpg
248KB, 1500x1500px
Outside of lurking /mu/, watching Anthony Fantano videos and reading Pitchfork I have no idea what is considered good or popular from the current year or any year. Last "new" I bought was pic related; everything else I've bought has been at least 20 years old.

What do, /mu/?
>>
ky$
>>
a lot of the gud recent stuff is very hard to find because of the sheer volume of music coming out. personally i think the stuff p4k and fantano and mu promotes is usually not that good of a selection of whats coming out. spend a few weeks finding artists on soundcloud and bandcamp if you want to find the best of the best, some of the shit that people will probably remember from current times. the best stuff is pretty much never the stuff thats popular when its released.
>>
i used to be like you about 6 months ago and it took me this long to find some current artists that are stupidly good kek now im not listening to anything but recent music
>>
>>69693259
Try looking at the RYM top lists for the past 20 years - it's pretty good at weeding through overhyped garbage promoted by sites like pitchfork, so prob your best bet for "Best of' lists.
Aside from that idk, I've listened to a lot of music from the last 15 years but I feel like on a whole it's weaker than what came before and often a derivative watered down version of older stuff. Idk what went "wrong" really.
>>
>>69695547
all music is a derivative and watered down version of older stuff if you think of it like that. old music doesnt sound that way to you because you have not heard the stuff its derivative of, and you wont have heard much of the new stuff that brings in the new intensity that will be ripped off until its old already.
>>
>>69693259
> /mu/, watching Anthony Fantano videos and reading Pitchfork

None of these things help you understand what people are listening to nowadays? Or just that you don't like any of the things you're seeing/hearing?
>>
>>69695618
>all music is a derivative and watered down version
>all music is watered down
I'll give you the "deriviative", though I don't believe it's to the same extent as it has been more recently.
But watered down? Fuck no.
Like look at overhyped shit like The Strokes and Interpol - they're okay, but don't hold a candle to the bands they're derivative of, yet they're heralded as the best of the 00s by many. And don't get me started on tripe like Bon Iver.
And a lot of good recent stuff - like Bowie, Radiohead, The Swans and Nick Cave albums from this year - are by artists that have been around since at least the 90s. Where are the great modern bands?

Maybe I'm just talking about Rock and it's related genres, and Hip Hop is just where all the good stuff is right now. Idk, I haven't been able to get into much Hip Hop save for a few exceptions like Kendrick.
>>
>>69693259
Your city might have an independent radio station that aggregates things, I know here in Australia with have FBI radio who tell us everything
>>
>>69695749
*Swans, not The Swans
>>
>>69694988
You know, there's more to older music than Queen and Dark Side of the Moon
>>
>>69693259
I don't see the issue, you must know what's considered good/popular if you lurk /mu/ and follow Fantano and pitchfork
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.