[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this in any magazine's top 50 of the year list? Bitchfork,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

Was this in any magazine's top 50 of the year list? Bitchfork, Tiny Mix Tapes and Consequence of Sound all ignored it.
>>
>>69683271
>The Snoring Man
is anyone who listens to it
>>
>>69683271
This album requires more patience than the two preceding albums and as such the autistic swans bandwagon fans aren't interested because they only listened to "a Little God In My Hands" 20 times and called TBK aoty but they never understood the transcendent nature of Gira's music. So now that Swans have dived headfirst into the transcendent aspect (along with the fact that p4k soft-panned it) every one of those faggots is jumping ship.Thank god. Along with giving us album of the year, Gira gave us the ultimate pleb filter.
>>
>>69683347
wow
>>
How is modern Swans? I have only listened to the classic stuff. I'm thinking of making my way through everything Gira has done chronologically. I know /mu/ has sperged over the last few Swans albums, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
>>
>imblying plebs don't all hate swans
>>
>>69683386
The Seer is the best album, by far.
>>
>>69683271
rape accusation fuked him over
>>69683347
yeah but the GATE is much better than TGM
>>
Like the long tracks on Swans are Dead, with elements of the no wave stuff.
>>
>>69683347
I laughed at this post, then it became a little depressing
>>
>>69683454
>it became a little depressing

How so desu?
>>
>>69683347
Absolutely this.
>>69683426
And this.
>>
made it to #87 on the quietus
>>
>>69683347

Funny, I finally listened to it the other day and I think it edges out The Seer as my favorite from this era of Swans, though The Apostate remains my favorite song. It definitely was slower and dronier but I felt like it had a sense of maturity to it that the other albums never reached, especially how it never felt trapped by typical Swans-isms like pounding repetition. Like it did that, but it used it more tastefully and usually moved on before it got dull. I dunno, I definitely liked it more than My Father or To Be Kind but I can also see why some would find it boring. I think it's a good sound for modern Swans, though.
>>
>>69686008
>>69683347

why does /mu/ always equate slowness and drone stuff with "maturity"?
>>
>>69683386
>claims that /mu/'s opinion isn't trustworthy
>still asking for its grasp on current Swans
>>
>>69686208

I never quite made that equivalency. On the surface the album drones on and on but I think they did a better job than usual of maintaining a sense of movement and momentum underneath the surface. To me, Swans sounded like they were in complete command of their sound - not primal like The Seer or deranged like To Be Kind, but zenned the fuck out and completely on point.
>>
>>69683347
Finally, Peace is one of their shortest, most accessible songs tho

Also, just wait for Fantano to have this in his top 10
>>
>>69686379
>zenned the fuck out and completely on point
this
>>
>>69683347
Nailed it. I'm glad the /mu/ teenagers forgot about Swans.
>>
huge Seer fan - didn't love this. was also very put off by the Larkin Grimm stuff. Should i revisit?
>>
>>69686762

might i add, big fan of them in general. heard their whole discography. loved more than a handful. but TGM didnt work for me...
>>
>>69683271
It's not cool to endorse a rapist's music
>>
>>69686762

I think the two albums have very different moods. Seer is much more energetic and pulse-pounding. Glowing Man feels like 80% meditative material, 20% tightened up TBK-esque grooves. As a whole it's definitely different but I guess if you can just zone out to it then give it another go.
>>
mainstream media has boycotted Gira because he is an ALLEGED rapist
>>
>>69686762
I think it's easy to expect to go in loving it straight away, but it's a 2 hour long album, the first time I finished it I wasn't left with the strongest impression either.

I remembered some highlights, but I had to listen to it more to really get a feel for it. Same was true for The Seer and To Be Kind. So I think you should revisit it.

That said, I think TGM is the weakest out of the trilogy for sure.
>>
>>69686208
well i think it signifies some degree of patience in letting the music ride out. most albums are very simply 'good track, decent track, bad track, good track' etc. if you can treat your reaction to an album as an emotional experience it means you aren't just listening on a surface level (a lot of the time)
>>
>>69686920

TBK is my least favorite of the trilogy. I felt it was pretty scattershot in its quality. I love Seer and Glowing Man but TBK is just alright to me.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.