[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bass or Cello for begginers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
I don't have any experience playing instruments, but I want to learn something while I'm still young. I'm torn between a bass or cello, what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>69682297
If by bass you mean electric bass guitar then it's definitely easier since the right hand technique is much simpler than using a bow (unless you plan on being one of those retards who insinst on slapping and double hand tapping everything) plus most basses are fretted which makes it easier to play right when you're a beginner. The rest is entirely up to you m8. I think the two instruments have pretty much the same capabilities. (most people find cello sounds better but these things are expensive mang)
>>
>>69682751
Yeah, I meant an electric bass guitar... I was just curious has to which one would be easier to begin with. I don't know anyone that plays either so I wanted to get some opinions on it.
>>
>>69682948
At a beginner level there's really no contest in terms of what's easier. With a bass you can kinda start playing right away. Now I've never played cello but from what I hear it takes a few days before you can even get a non-awful sound out of it. So there you go.
>>
As the other guy said bass guitar will have a much faster learning curve.
>>
>>69682297
I played viola in youth orchestras for years and played my little brother's cello a fair amount. I'd say go for cello if you don't mind being frustrated with sucking for about two years. Bass is probably most realistic for you.
>>
>>69683712
>I'd say go for cello if you don't mind being frustrated with sucking for about two years. Bass is probably most realistic for you.

This. This is so accurate it hurts.

I played cello for several years in school and dicked around with bass/guitar a bit and fretted instruments are massively easier to play than non-fretted. Once your electric is tuned, you know you're fine until you knock yourself out of tune. With cello every little thing that you do will fuck with your intonation and sound quality. Plus until you learn the fingerboard you're mostly flying blind.

Plus electric bass is much cheaper than a cello, if that's a factor. That said, cello is a really fucking pretty instrument once you've started to get it down. Both have their upsides, but cello's learning curve is far steeper.
>>
>>69684033
How do you know where to put your fingers on non fretted instruments?
>>
>>69684301
kids and new people put tape on the fingerboard / neck

you just learn the spots after playing for a long time
lots and lots of practice, no secret
t. cellist
>>
>>69684301
Muscle memory and being able to recognize what note you're playing and whether you're sharp or flat. Your ear will get pretty good after a while. Most people new to the instrument put small strips to electrical tape for position markers, but that only helps if you in tune (obviously). If you do that, you'll want to replace them every few months
>>
>>69684301
Take lessons at the beginning or sit there with an electric tuner and figure out the first whole step from D to E in D major. Then the next whole step to f#, half step to G, Change strings to open at, whole step to B ect.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.