[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: albums carried by the production

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: DrDre-2001.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
DrDre-2001.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>
File: sgt-pepper.jpg (324KB, 1600x1549px) Image search: [Google]
sgt-pepper.jpg
324KB, 1600x1549px
>>
>>69656748
What do you mean "carried by". The production IS the album.
>>
>>69656769
What is considered the production on an album that isn't hip hop? On a hip hop album I assume the production just means everything aside from the vocals: the beat.

What constitutes the production on Sgt. Peppers? Is it the mixing? Is it the instrumental?

This is a serious question in case it looks like I'm trolling.
>>
>>69656778
As in the album has sub-par lyrics or songwriting.
>>69656792
Pretty much what you said, it's the mixing and how the album ends up sounding.
>>
Any Death Grips album
>>
>>69656820
Ok so kind of the atmosphere of the album?
>>
>>69656792
Sgt. Peppers has a ton of various signal processing effects going on in it. Any and all effects you hear on the album are done in studio, with the rest just recorded normally. In that manner, Sgt Peppers has set the precedence for all production work since, vastly changing how the recording process has been done ever since.

As for another example of production on something more "rock based", there are a couple interesting examples.

On the album Remain in Light by Talking Heads, Eno takes various individually performed parts in the studio by each musician in the band, their live performances, and their jam sessions and puts it all together in different ways by sampling/looping it all. A big part of why Remain In Light has that weird polyrhythmic syncopated feel is because of how Eno put all these different disparate yet similar parts together in different ways. Big influence on how electronic/hip hop musicians would also in a similar way put together various samples and patches.

On Slint's album Spiderland, there's a very particular style of mixing/mastering done where even though the album can get VERY busy with the two guitar and bass parts all playing during different times, there's still kind of this "empty" atmosphere to the album achieved through the mixing/mastering to preserve the feel the guys were going for. Note that even in his review of Spiderland, Steve Albini gives the most love to the production, too.

In all three of these cases, the production has played just as big a part as the actual musicians involved because the albums would sound nothing close to what they do at all without the very precise, purposeful approaches to production taken on them.
>>
>>69657315
That's true about Remain in Light, I always noticed how weird it sounded to me and wondered how they achieved that sound then I read about it and found out they took the riffs and used it much like how a hip-hop producer would use samples. Man, I love Eno so fucking much.
>>
>>69656820

>songwriting

Bruh, Dre surely doesn't care about being poetic but he can SHIT out hits. He knows how to write pop songs. Probably a master DESU.
>>
Literally everything done by Jim Steinman
>>
File: IMG_0742.jpg (42KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0742.jpg
42KB, 300x300px
>>
>>69656792
I have a question from he opposite side of you, in hip hop why don't the artists approach the music as just that, music, why does it have to be "beats"? I feel like when the creation of music is reduced to that mindset it reduces the potential complexities that can be reached through production in a non hip-hop context, like all of the intricacies that >>69657315 detailed. That said though I can get that the lack of focus on this can also be said to be a door to other creative pathways that hip hop has created.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.